“Very nice motel, but don't use the pool”

Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Fresno North, CA
Ranked #13 of 64 Hotels in Fresno
Reviewed July 24, 2014

We stayed for one night in the motel, and was very pleased with the service upon arrival. The rooms was comfortable, and the beds offered excellent sleep quality. The pool (indoor) was not welcoming and needed cleaning, and made the kids eyes flaming red. The breakfast was delightful and the staff was very attentive.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Patrick S, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Fresno North, CA, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2014

Dear TriTrond,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. I am sorry you were not comfortable with our pool. The hotel is starting renovations by next month September and our goal is to make sure all areas look welcoming.

Reviewed July 16, 2014

I enjoyed this hotel and I stayed one night. It had a wonderful and helpful staff. In fact, the clerk recommended a great restaurant for us. It's also not too far from places to shop and eat if you have a car. The room was a decent size and it had a fridge. The staff was friendly and I just had to request one on the day in the morning (as some of them have a fridge and some don't). We had a good night's rest and the hot breakfast (included) was very filling. You can also get a USA Today in the morning and a free cookie when you arrive. They also have an indoor pool but we didn't use it.This was a very good place to stay and I had no complaints.

Room Tip: Request a fridge on the morning of your stay if you need one.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 10, 2014

The staff was extremely helpful especially Chantel Fox. I stayed 2 separate nights and she was on duty both days. The first week my room had no air conditioning and she came up within minutes to check on the problem. My last stay I could not get the air conditioner to work and she again came up within a few minutes to help me. I do think the hotel needs some refurbishing. In my last stay the airconditioning would not stop. Got very cold. Also, the bathroom faucet was broke. I'm sure I would still go back. The staff is great, good food for breakfast, a good value for the price.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed July 10, 2014 via mobile

The positives: clean room, good breakfast, friendly staff

The negatives: when we checked in they accidentally gave us keys to a room with someone in it, SLOW elevator

Overall, we had an enjoyable stay and would return again if we were in the area

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Diana P
Reviewed July 6, 2014

First, just the facts then some thoughts:

* Checkin was easy and fast, customer service very good. We had a double queen room at $75/night to start.
* Noticed the room carpet had 3-4 large/long dirt streaks - let the front desk know so I wouldn't get dinged. The room carpet was pretty dirty - walking around in socks for under 5m made them black. I've stayed in an array of dingy to upscale hotels - carpets shouldn't be this dirty even for a 2* hotel.
* Room was on the 3rd floor (and it was ~100 degrees outside) and it was very hot in the hall as well as our room (82 degrees). The night manager, Joseph (who I'll call out as being very good and customer focused!) came up to adjust the thermostat and check the A/C, but even after a couple hours we were still at 79 degrees.
* Since there were no rooms to switch to that night we decided to wait it out until morning, figuring it would slowly drop overnight as it cooled outside. Hot night but dealt with it. Joseph got us switched to a new room for the next couple nights. The new room's carpet was much much cleaner as well.
* Overall rooms and halls are showing their age, ready for a rehab. The A/C units in both rooms were really loud - I'm a fairly deep sleeper and was woken up several times when they kicked on. Bathrooms were clean.
* Only the suites have an in-room fridge, regular rooms don't.
* Fitness center has a few treadmills, no weights or exercise equipment.
* Breakfast was good, and included - they had scrambled eggs both days, then sausage or bacon, french toast or potatoes. Also had prepacked muffins, danishes, as well as fruit, yogurt and the waffle maker.
* Pool is indoor, which is nice - it's not terribly big and it's pretty old, but clean enough and there's a hot tub. Towels were available.
** During the weekend, the hotel "partially" rents the pool to a private swim business. The swim manager (outside of the pool) was giving my 5y daughter old guff about swimming near the stairs because the instructor and child client were in the area. The first time I did not say anything, the second time I told the manager "they" could stay on one side and we'd stay on the other side of the small stair area (after asking if they were even staying at the hotel and her saying she rented the pool). Fortunately, the pool was empty except for another guy who was just swimming in the deeper end. What happens if the pool has more than 5 hotel guests swimming?

Overall, it's still a decent value at $75/night, but just know you get what you pay for. The hotel is older and you could get stuck with a "less clean" room. The AC units are quite loud.

The hotel renting the part of the pool seems a bit ridiculous and dumb - yes, I get that it's probably only mid-day when departing folks have checked out and incoming folks have not checked in, but it was a lousy experience for us - as a business, I would not want my clients arguing with each other. (Apparently someone else complained before me as I didn't mention it until checkout.) The shallow end was still 3 1/2 feet high so any kids under 6 *need* to be near the stairs to play/swim comfortably- having to fight over this space with someone else is obnoxious.

While this seemed to be a good price for Fresno, given the sum of the minor headaches I'd probably try a different hotel next time. That said, this could be a bad luck one-off experience. If you aren't using the pool and just need a place to crash with some good breakfast, this place is a good deal.

Room Tip: Would advise against a 3rd floor room - the hallway had to be over 85 degrees and the first room we...
Reviewed July 6, 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights while visiting family. Great location near 41 and River Park, and the Priceline price was right at $72.00/night. Indoor pool, jacuzzi, and the breakfast was much better than expected except for the powdered eggs. Very nice staff. Only complaints I have are that the carpets are dirty but I believe they are planning a remodel soon. We also asked for extra pillows and they said they were out (?) Comfy beds and spacious bathroom. The AC took a few hours but kicked in and kept us very cool in the 110 degree heat. Nice to have a fridge and microwave in the room. It is next to 41 but we did not hear the traffic.

Room Tip: Ask for the third floor, lower #ed rooms (we stayed in 302) which keeps you in an end unit away from...
1  Thank rabrassard
Reviewed July 1, 2014

Our stay at the Country Inn was wonderful. They had everything we needed for the four days we were staying in the Fresno area. Our grandson needed a pool to do laps and he did not miss an evening. The breakfast was filling and being able to get coffee 24 hours a day was a treat!

Room Tip: Higher floor had less traffic and essentially no noise whatsoever. Stay away from the elevator. Ve...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family