“Don't waste your money - there are better places close by” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Vagabond Inn Fresno

Vagabond Inn Fresno
Ranked #44 of 65 Hotels in Fresno
upland, ca
“Don't waste your money - there are better places close by”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

The location is good, but that's the only positive. The room we had, #214, was pretty dirty. The bathroom wasn't cleaned very well, the shower leaked, mold in the shower, electrical outlets weren't working, and there was months of dust/dirt behind the furniture.

Checking-in was a pain because they wouldn't let us in the actual lobby. We checked in around 10pm & it was cold out (40 f). I can understand not letting everyone in the lobby at night, but once it was verified that we have a reservation, they should have let us in.

The breakfast was the worst I've ever seen at a motel. It consisted of fake juices from a machine and one small pastry from Costco. There was a little sign that said that there was a limit of one pastry per person. I'm not saying I should fill my suitcase with free breakfast items, but only one little Costco pastry???

Sooo....save your money and go somewhere else. There are many nicer places really close that aren't more expensive.

Room Tip: Tip for choosing a good room - Go someplace else!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
      Sleep Quality
3 Thank dave4133

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Fresno, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2010

I can and have stayed in some pretty questionable places but this is one of those places that I wouldn't even put my mother in law in! The room smelled and was pretty dingy. The comforter was greasy feeling and had a bunch of holes burned in it from cigarettes. The restroom was old and dirty. Towels were not at all anything I'd put near my body.

There were quite a few odd characters roaming the area and I just did not feel safe at all.
Staff is just as scary.

Wifi was ok. There is a computer for use in the lobby but with a 5 min limit. Price was a little steep for the area. Theres a Dennys on the same lot. This place is so not worth what they charge unless there is absolutely no other option do not stay here!

• Stayed December 2010
2 Thank 559MoM
Sherbrooke, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2010

Cockroaches in the pool, and on the patio not far from our room... It has to be a real last resort! Sleeping in the car would be a better idea!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank teacher172
Southern Cal.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2009

Here is all you need to know: Don't stay here. If you want more details, read on.
Lobby smells like cigarettes
Desk clerk was more interested in watching the TV than helping guest
Bedspread is falling apart
Mold in shower
Creepy guy was hanging around the rooms in the back
Noise from outside and the shower in the room next door
Wireless never worked
They limit the computer use in lobby to 10min
Desk chair in room is a folding card table chair
Have to unplug the light to use a charger
No alarm clock
Continental breakfast was a small, dry danish, coffee, and oj
Only door lock was one on the door handle
Door did not automatically shut
Pillows were old and lumpy
Dresser drawers were broken

Need I convince you more?

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
4 Thank Cheryl12
San Jose, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2007

We booked this hotel because it is pet-friendly, and we travel with our dog. While my wife was at her job site downtown, I went to check-out the hotel. It's not in a nice part of town, and is within a mile of a very large homeless encampment established on a closed freeway. As soon as I drove up, I was approached by a man who wanted me to "buy him a hamburger". There was a younger couple who appeared to be on hard times, loudly arguing about something, in the parking lot the hotel shares with Denny's. Then, an unfortunate and unkempt young fellow came gliding up the driveway in his beat-up car, yelling "yep, it died!". I thought he was talking to someone in the car, but when I looked past all the boxes and clothes I noticed that he was alone. This was all within 2-3 minutes of arrival; I had not even stepped out of the car yet. After all that, I was not going to leave ourselves nor our vehicle at that location, in the dark. I didn't check-in. Instead, I called and cancelled. In all fairness, later in the afternoon I drove my wife down there for entertainment value, at least - and the circus was nowhere to be seen. So perhaps my earlier visit was unfortunate timing, but I stand by my decision. An alternate pet-friendly hotel is the La Quinta downtown, where we ended-up.

• Liked — It is pet-friendly.
  • Disliked — For the first time, ever, at a hotel, I did not feel safe. Very bad feeling about this location.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
6 Thank travelswithdog99
santa clara, california
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2007

When I booked this room, I was limited to what information I had been given off various sites and the pictures. The pictures are vaguely different in size but are otherwise right on. Because of the amount of time I was staying here, I needed certain things, i.e., refrigerator and lots of room for clothes and things.

"Bad"
1. Well, the room ended up being a bit small.
2. It was not in a good part of town for a single woman traveling alone.
3. The continental breakfast was on the side of next-to-nothing as most continental breakfasts are and,
4. Many of the rooms were filled with men who were paving the local highway.

This made me very nervous.

"Good"
1. The bed was very comfortable.
2. The refrigerator and microwave both worked.
3. The room seemed to be sound proof as I could never hear anyone passing by or heard anyone talking, laughing, crying, yelling, etc.
4. Very nice security system.
5. The people were very accommodating every time I needed something.

While this room had little problems that could be repaired easily, cleaned easily and remedied easily, it was a nice place to stay. It had great air conditioning. The room was cleaned nicely each day and the TV got great reception. I am a discriminating traveler but I know what I want and need to be comfortable and this worked out very well for me. I would recommend it for someone without kids looking for a great bargain.

• Liked — The comfort of the beds and the cleanliness of the linens
  • Disliked — The location - not really the best area because it's a trucker hangout but it's good if you just need a nice place to sleep
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
      Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank ghostly1
Norfolk
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2005

Booked on the internet for 4 nights out of a 3 week holiday touring California. Worst mistake I ever made. Tatty small check in area where I believe you go for your complimentary breakfast. Got the keys to the room but not happy at this stage as the area left a lot to be desired. Once we drove around to the room (more of a motel than hotel) and opened the door the over-riding smell of some cleaning fluid took your breath away, left the door open to try and get rid of it but the noise from the traffic made it impossible to talk, it was like being on an island with the freeways all around you. 20 minutes later we had checked out and driven to the other side of town where we checked into a Holiday Inn Express which was new, clean and exceptionally comfortable.
Would definitely not recommend this Vagabond Inn to anybody, I know it was cheap but we have stayed at far better for a similar price.

• Stayed September 2005