University Square Hotel
$80
$77
Orbitz.com
$89
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed February 25, 2014

For $65 on Priceline, we got a very nice, modern and clean room with a comfortable king bed. (Even the tile grout was clean) The room was worth at least twice that. The front desk clerk was extremely welcoming. The breakfast was good. I loved the ambiance of the breakfast room. I'm happy.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Hoang T, Owner at University Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 1, 2014

Dear Babybizliz:

Thanks for leaving us your review. We appreciate it very much.

We are happy that your stay with us was a great experience. We also appreciate that you recommended others to stay with us as well.

Your positive feedback really gives each one of us more energy to serve you and our future guests better for many years to come.

Hoang Tran, Ownership Management

Reviewed February 3, 2014

OK, OK, OK don't fall for the special deals on Booking.com, there is a reason that the room is heavily discounted. You walk in through the door of a seventies, concrete motel and you are confronted by a lobby that is supposed to look like a gentlemen's club but is a mite too scruffy. After a gruff welcome and check-in we were given a map to find our rooms round the back. The rooms were fine, the beds comfortable enough but it was breakfast that put the nail in the hotel's coffin. We arrived at 9:15 having been told that breakfast finished at 9:30. When we got there the waitress was beginning to clear the stuff away and told us, in no uncertain terms, that we had ten minutes to eat our breakfast. The only saving grace was that breakfast was so awful that you don't need 10 minutes to eat it!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Hoang T, Owner at University Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2014

Thanks for your valuable review. It's always a pleasure to read feedbacks from our wonderful guests. The theme of our hotel is the Old English Tudor style. It is built with used bricks on the outside. It does not look like a newer hotel with lots of glass and modern architecture. Thanks for a comment on the comfortable bed. Our breakfast buffet includes hot items as scramble eggs and sausages, cereals, milk, fruits, pastries, bread, bagels,... I will talk to our breakfast attendant to do a better job hosting the guests especially during the last minutes.

Thanks again for your inputs.

Reviewed January 7, 2014

Well, I guess I asked for it. Located across from the campus and called "University Square Hotel," what did I expect? It was quite a distance from the highway we were traveling on so even the location wasn't particularly handy. The lobby looks like an old richly appointed library. That's where the nice part stops. The hotel is run down, the wood is scratched and dinged, the paint on the walls is smudged and dirty, the windows were dirty, the carpet was dirty. They put those clear plastic corners on the walls to protect the corners from...what? Everything was run-down and it reminded me of an old dormitory and it probably is one, to some degree. Young people (students?) came and went a lot, which is OK but the place was pretty beat up. The secure door that was supposed to only open with our room card was standing ajar when we first arrived. The bed was comfortable, there was a frig and microwave. But otherwise, the room was a stripper. We would never stay here again. The price was low but I'd rather pay more to stay in a nice, modern, clean hotel with cordial staff.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the landscaped courtyard are a little nicer because the courtyard is pretty. Security doors are iffy.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 24, 2013 via mobile

This is not a place I personally would ever choose to stay again but there are pros and cons.
Pros - location is right opposite CSU Fresno so convenient for business there and there are shops and restaurants nearby. The shower had good pressure and water was hot. There was a flat screen TV opposite the bed with 48 channels and the sheets appeared clean. There was a fridge and when I requested one an old rather decrepit microwave was brought but at least it worked .
Cons: Staff were not particularly friendly, no warm greeting on check-in, in fact the staff member was chatting with someone behind her the whole time and didn't tell me where my room was or give me a coupon for breakfast until I asked. Room was 116 in the Brittany Building. I asked for one above the ground floor for safety reasons as a woman traveling alone but was refused with no explanation (even though there appeared to be very few people in the building. I did not like having a room with both a corridor entry and a sliding patio door in that area. Building was supposed to be locked at dark with card access, however the pizza delivery guy came knocking on my door with no warning.
The room was spacious but tired and old and smelled musty/damp. When I checked in the planters outside the sliding glass doors were full of water sitting right up against the wall if the room - probably the reason. There was a coffee pot with paper cups but no tea - bring your own. For toiletries there was one tiny shampoo/conditioner combined and a sliver of soap (bring those
too). The location of the hotel was right behind a 7-11 where at night a lot of homeless hung out - both there and in the hotel parking lot and it definitely felt seedy and not terribly safe for a single woman.
Overall it was cheap and you get what you pay for.

• Stayed: November 2013
Management response:Responded December 31, 2013

Thanks for posting your review. Yes, our location is within walking distance to Fresno State University and nearby restaurants. We just replaced the old TVs with flat screens, 48 HD + local channels.

We will continue training the front desk staffs to warmly greet our guests at check-in, especially the new employees. We are in the process of renovating and updating our guestrooms and bathrooms. The property is fully secured with card keyed entry system. Our guest safety is our number one concern. In addition, the parking lot is now equipped with security gates. Access code can be obtained at the front desk or pull your car closed to the gate, then the front desk staff will activate the gate after verifying the car license plate. We have found many satisfying guests appreciating the newly installed gates providing them with extra security.

Thanks,

Hoang

Reviewed November 20, 2013

I stayed here for two nights for a work trip. The hotel was in a good location which was important for me. The hotel itself was more rundown than I had expected. Check in was easy. The staff was nice and gave me the option to choose which floor I was in. The room was clean, very spacious and quiet. I lucked out by having only 1 guest room next to mine. the other side was an employees only room. The complimentary breakfast was nice. They have a small area in the lobby to watch tv and sit while you eat. They had eggs, sausage, fresh waffles, fruit, bagels, etc.
Nothing special about the hotel other than it was affordable, in a good location and clean. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Management response:Responded December 31, 2013

Dear Toni,

Thanks for staying with us and recommending our hotel to prospective guests. We appreciate your business. We are in the process of renovating the guestrooms. We plan to complete that effort in a few months. Yes, our rooms are very spacious (~450sqft) with higher ceiling making the room even larger. I like the breakfast myself. The chef has added egg rolls besides sausage on special occasions, Yum Yum! We are trying our best to keep the price affordable and room clean.

Thanks,