“Not the best...not the worst” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of University Square Hotel

University Square Hotel
Ranked #36 of 64 Hotels in Fresno
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Not the best...not the worst”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013

The rooms look like they have been halfway renovated. There is a new tv and semi-new carpeting. The beds were clean and comfortable...and that ends my positive experience. The walls are paper thin. We could hear our neighbor's television until midnight. We thought that at that point we could get some sleep, we were wrong! We could hear their entire conversation. This went on until 3. AM. They were not arguing, so a call to the front desk would have done no good. The bathroom sink was broken and the mini fridge in the room sounded like it was going to explode at any moment. The loud motor running sounded like there was a generator in our room. The room definitely smelled of cigarettes even though they said that all of the rooms were non-smoking. The apartments directly behind the hotel were a bit scary as well. When we came back after dinner we could hear people arguing outside. I don't think that I would ever stay here again. I would prefer to pay $20 more to have a nicer place to stay.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Renee V
Dear Renee:

Thanks for your review. Yes, our beds are newer and clean. The hotel was build in 1984 with plaster drywall for better insulation and noise reduction. I will personally investigate the noise issue. We are in the process of renovating the guestrooms. The newly added security gates add extra security. Hope your next stay would be more comfortable.

Thanks,

Hoang Tran

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

As others note, this hotel is a little bit run-down and shabby around the edges, but I found the staff to be friendly and helpful, the location just 10 minutes from the Fresno Airport to be handy, and the complementary breakfast to be not bad.

Frankly I chose this hotel because on my past visit to Fresno, the hotel I'd stayed at was in an characterless, auto-centric neighborhood, and I thought that this USH location next to Fresno State University would provide for a livelier and more interesting neighborhood, for someone like me who likes to explore on foot.

Unfortunately, no: Fresno appears to be a universally uninteresting, auto-centric town (sorry, Fresnoans). As Gertrude Stein once famously said, "There is no there there." Even around the University -- which is hemmed in by six-lane boulevards on all sides, thereby destroying any hope for evolving a pedestrian-friendly neighborhood -- it's mostly chain restaurants and nondescript apartment complexes. Oh well.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear GonzoDon:

Thanks for staying with us. Our hotel has a unique English Tudor architectural design which is not as boring as newer hotels in the area. Many guests have enjoyed a large courtyard with refreshing swimming pool. I am sorry that you found Fresno State University uninteresting. It's been there over a century with a newly elected president and a strong football team. Come and stay with us again and let us know how you like the egg rolls for breakfast? Our all you can eat breakfast has been well received by our guests.

Thanks,

Hoang Tran
San Jose, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013

This property is rundown and our room was worn, tired and dingy. The room furnishings were cheap and the lighting very dark. The bathroom light fixture looked like something from the 1960’s – fluorescent and ugly. The air quality overall was stale. On the first of our two night stay, the guests next to our room were blasting music and smoking and eventually the police were called to quiet them down. (The hotel verified that this is a non-smoking facility). This ordeal took over 90 minutes to get under control which did impact our already very underwhelming experience considering we spent $100.00 per night, not an excessive amount, but the quality and environment would have been more fairly priced at $60/$70 (max) per nite. The manager did offer to provide a $20.00 discount -- the best he said he could do for our first night stay but offered a discount only after I asked. In truth, it would have been appropriate for them to comp the night’s stay since we got to bed so late due to the incident mentioned and got next to no sleep. This venue is in need or a remodeling overhaul.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear Spiritofitalytours:

Thanks for your review. I am so sorry for a neighboring guests that were out of control during your stay. Our employees tried the best the know how to quiet them down unsuccessfully. We never had to call a police before, but had no choice in this case for the benefit of other guests. We are striving to do better providing comfort to our guests. The renovation of all bathrooms is in progress. Hope your next stay would be a better experience. Please send me an e-mail with your reservation number. Once your reservation is verified, I will authorize my staff to offer you a free upgrade during your next visit. We would like to earn your business.

Hoang Tran (e-mail: htran@universitysquarehoteloffresno.com)
elk grove
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2013

This was our second stay at this homestyle hotel. We arrived there in the afternoon on Saturday for an overnight stay in one of their suites that is like having (2) master bedrooms with their very own refigerator,tv w/free wifi etc. Went to the Sizzler on Shaw Marvin's B-Day dinner. Came back to the hotel.
Sunday we had a all you can eat buffet breakfast compliments of the hotel.The breakfast Consisted of eggs, sausage, toast, waffles a variety of cereals danish fresh fruit and for bevarages were coffee, tea milk,orange juice. Excellent service. I would recommend them.

Room Tip: Ask for their suite it like have two (2) master bedrooms equipped with a tv wifi refrigerator, coff...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
San Pablo, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2013

I would agree with most of the reviews in repect to comfort of my room, upgradedTV, great pool, the breakfast, and the the courtesy given to my family. The big Plus was when they shuttled us over to the event we were going to.
I would stay there again.

In reference to the smoke and age of the building, is it old?, yes but well maintained and I did not detect any cigarette smoke in my room.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
ElkGrove
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

They get an A for trying but this is a rundown hotel. They have central heat and air that sends the cigarette smell from one room to the next regardless of what building. I am allergic to cigarettes and felt like I was going into anaphylaxis shock from the fumes. Thankfully, they refunded my money and I stayed at the Hilton Garden. I am still in shock that they are both rated 3 stars because the Hilton felt like the Ritz Carlton after leaving the University Square.

Room Tip: The rooms that face the pool are better and the ground floor rooms open up to the pool courtyard.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Brandi500, Manager at University Square Hotel, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Thank you for your review of your recent stay. I apologize for your experience with us regarding the smoke smell. Our hotel is 100% non smoking but we do allow guest to smoke in designated smoking area outside and in the courtyard. Guest who don't follow out nonsmoking policy are charged a fee if they smoke in the room. Once housekeeping cleans the room and reports that there was smoking we immediately break down the room and do a deep cleaning. We also put an ionizer machine in which collects all of the smoke particles in the air. We aim to please our guests throughout their stay and appreciate feedback before you leave so that we may resolve any issues immediately. I hope you return to give us an opportunity to earn your business again. If you do I will personally take care of your reservation and I will do my best to make sure you have an enjoyable stay.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

Close to clovis it worked great. Iys right next to some great places to eat and csu Fresno. The pool is a nice shape ans comp breakfast was decent. Ice machines are brolen.which.sucked because when i was there it was 113 degree s. stay here its nice for the price
i

• Stayed July 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fresno
BEST WESTERN PLUS Fresno Inn
#29 of 64 in Fresno
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Fresno (River Park) Hwy 41
Holiday Inn Express Clovis Fresno Area
Hilton Garden Inn Clovis

Been to University Square Hotel? Share your experiences!