“Not used to it...might be good for kids?” 2 of 5 stars
Review of University Square Hotel

University Square Hotel
Ranked #38 of 65 Hotels in Fresno
dfw
“Not used to it...might be good for kids?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2011

I had to stay here on business. I hope they got a good rate. The staff was OK. The room was large and the Internet speed (testmy.net) on the first floor was 1.1 M. I was originally put on the top of the third floor (back side) with no car and a bad leg. When I got up there, the air was not working. I went down and after some time convincing the clerk I knew how to operate a thermostat, I was put in another outside building on the first floor (YEA!). But your key does not work most of the time on the outside doors, so you stand there and stand there. I got the clerk to come and help the first time and he had trouble with it (but did not change my key and I found out it is the doors, not the keys). Maid service was OK (they restocked, but no extras even with a good tip). The room was fairly quiet (there were some mechanical noises, but they were not loud). Hallways are old and carpet is stained.

Breakfast is a waste unless you like fruit. I have had the free breakfasts at most places and this one is pretty sad. The entry place where you eat and check in is really a nice area. The hotel rooms are large and the furniture is comfortable (even if old). The lamps are all hard to get on (you have to have 10# of muscle pull to turn the knob!) and they do put a minicoffee maker in the room, but only one thing of reg and one of decaf (no tea, no extras). No paper in the AM. The shower has a double head! And it works well! This struck me as odd because of the water issues in Calif, but I am not going to complain! It was nice!

The layout is a bunch of outside buildings that you have to go out of and come back into. Its a pain! Especially if your key does not work half the time!

Ice machine worked (a bit sloshy) and the vending was kept stocked (the hotel was about 1/5 full).

The outside area looked nice (I did not use the pool).

Conclusion: if you get a great deal and have kids, this might be good for you. It was ok for business, but not great. Internet was easy to get on, but not the fastest. Nothing nearby that I wanted to shop at although I did eat at a steakhouse behind it and that was good.

They will pick you up at the airport (but transport around is variable based on their contracts).

Room Tip: Check the AC on checkin and try for a side where you want to park (security?)
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
      Location
      Rooms
1 Thank austinandie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

A conveniently positioned hotel for those passing through. Rooms are spacious and fitted out well. But will somebody please train the maids? The edges of the carpet, particularly in the lifts, hadn't seen an edging tool (for cleaning staff that's a vacuum cleaner part) in months. The basin had lost it's gleam, possibly because a scourer had been used in it at some time, and the room had a peculiarly strong odor of room freshener. Perhaps if it were well vacuumed ...
But why complain? After all, the price was good and there was breakfast ... till nine AM ... and not a second later! Warning: on the dot of nine the juice and fruit will disappear and this will be followed by everything else in rapid succession, despite an almost full breakfast room.
Is my complaint fair? After all, the check in and check out was speedy, even if the staff were all morose ... And it was nice to see one of them relaxing in the empty breakfast room in front of the TV at twenty past nine as we left.

Room Tip: If you're asthmatic choose somewhere else.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
      Location
      Rooms
1 Thank AussieCoupleVic3138
Yuba City, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

I had to stay. It was business. My looked clean but felt dirty. The clerk was friendly. That's about I can say for this hotel.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Travelseeker777
ComfortSuitesClovis, General Manager at University Square Hotel, responded to this review, September 27, 2011
Dear Travelseeker777,

I want to thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay, and I am very sorry that perhaps we weren't up to you expectations. I am not sure when you may stay, possibly prior to September 1st, but we have new ownership, a leading management company, new general manager to lead the University Square Hotel, into the legend it once was, all over again! We have upgraded all of our rooms with all new high thread count sheets & down bedding (giving the all white look) and new plush terry towels. I would like to assure you that we are working diligently towards re-establishing our hotel and I would like for you to come give us another chance, so you can experience all of our current great changes in effect. Please contact me at jvirk@rimhospitality.com so I can get further feedback. Sincerely appreciate your time.

Kindest Regards,

J. Virk
General Manager.
Laguna Hills, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

I previously stayed at this hotel when it was the Picadilly Inn. Along with the new name, it is under new management so disregard old negative comments. After moving my college student into the dorms at Fresno State, I arrived really tired and was pleasantly surprised by all the improvements. Location to the college is the great and surrounded by many good restaurants within walking distance. I will definitely stay here again when I am in Fresno.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Dear Morna L,

Thank you for taking the time to provide the feedback for our hotel. I am glad to hear that everything worked out and you enjoyed our hospitality. Looking forward to catering to your hospitality needs in the near future! Make sure to keep in touch with us online, so you can stay updated with all of the upgrades we are currently going through!

Kindest Regards,

Jay Virk,
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2011

I've stayed in this hotel over the last decade for various reasons and have never had any problems and just returned from staying overnight after a trip to Yosemite. Those who post poor reviews are just complainers by nature in my book. Easy check-in, happy hour and breakfast are what you pay for (nothing fancy), and the rooms are clean and comfortable. Lots of places to eat nearby; some within walking distance. I recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
San Diego, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2011

this so called hotel is very outdated, dirty, and unsafe, the staff was very unhelpful and they don't know what the word service means. My room had left over trash and left over food in the refridgerator. I would recomend a cheap motel over this dump any day

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank booboobooboo60750
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fresno
Ramada Fresno North
University Inn
University Inn
#36 of 65 in Fresno
3.0 of 5 stars 72 reviews

Been to University Square Hotel? Share your experiences!