New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Stinks in soooo many ways” 1 of 5 stars
Review of University Inn

University Inn
Ranked #39 of 65 Hotels in Fresno
“Stinks in soooo many ways”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2011

stayed with my college~aged daughter after reading a few reviews, some good , some ...not so much. My own experience, included sitting in my car at first, considering leaving because of the dompletelly out of control "families" in the surrounding rooms . The room smelled of a bad chemical and I felt "ill" regardless of the air conditioner. I had to call 911. The phone would not dial out and the desk clerk would NOT help. After the violence abated w/ police action I wanted a relaxing shower. No amenities and I'd brought none. The next morning, the breakfast was: a selection of crumbs from flaked cereal with no sanitary way of scooping and 2 pieces of white bread- the discount loaf bag was in the tray. We went elsewhere. My experience seems consistent w/ the others' with low ratings. The high ratings seem to describe an alternative reality.

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank MimosaVendetta

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2011

Maybe it's just that the rooms are old. Everything had a strange smell.even my aunties room. When we turned on the air the smell became worst. On a secondnote here's some Advice: don't let employees stand outside the doors of the hotel smoking. Not everyone wants to smell it!

• Stayed July 2011
2 Thank Italianmission
UniversityInnFresno, Manager at University Inn, responded to this review, September 7, 2011
I thank you for your feedback. Unfortunately from time to time, we can have guests that smoke in non smoking rooms leaving an unpleasant odor for most of our guests. When a front desk staff is informed of the situation, we will usually switch you to a room of your liking so that we may treat the problem room. It is advisable to always let a staff member know of the situation so that the problem can be corrected.
Thank you again for your business.

Travelers are raving about these Fresno hotels

Ludvika, Sweden
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011

This place is the worst. Not only because the door for our room was broken, not because the breakfast is awful, cheap cereal in plastic bowls, but because during the evenings drug dealers can be seen in the parking lot going about their business freely. My girlfriend was quite scared.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Ichrisper
Thank you for taking your time to write a review. We are a 24 hour facility that is located across the street from a concert venue and Fresno State University. Due to this, it is bound to have people and students roam around the property at different times. It would be unfair to say these people are drug dealers specially on a concert night. Illegal activities are not only prohibited by the property, but by the law and you are encouraged to report any of such activities to property management and the police so proper measures can be taken
La Habra, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2011

Was not too far from the campus. I thought the continental breakfast was great! The rooms were clean and the staff were great! I would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars
Thank you for staying with us! We are glad we have met your expectations in your stay. Thank you for mentioning the proximity to the campus, which is right across the street, a lot of our guests love that.
Sydney Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2011

Stayed for one night only and the place is average to say the least. Pretty run down and would really benefit from a major makeover. Close to many restaurants and conveniences.

Had dinner in the hotel bar and it was ok. The staff in the bar were very helpful and polite. Breakfast was free but not a lot of choice.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank annabelle2904
california
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2011

Was not sure what to expect after reading several reviews here, but took a chance and made a reservation for the University Inn because it is right across the street from the University of Fresno and an easy walk to the graduation ceremonies going on there. I was very pleased to find my room was clean, comfortable, and I got my request to get an upper floor room overlooking the pool. The housekeeping staff were prompt and efficient, and the front desk clerks helpful and courteous. Numerous places to eat within walking distance, and Starbucks next door for a great morning cup of coffee! My only complaint is there was no shampoo or conditioner in the room, but I had brought my own anyway. It was a great weekend, and I will stay here again if I ever need a room close to FSU in the future!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank firedog13814
We are glad you had a great stay. We hope you come visit us soon.
Torrance, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2011

To our dismay, the room was not serviced. I called the front desk and inquired about the situation and the night manager said "Sorry, we had a lot of rooms to clean." The sales manager's reply "thank you for the feedback. I'm sorry for the inconvenience but we will make things right for you. I will conduct an investigation and will get back to you shortly. All I can tell you right now is that our rooms get serviced on a daily basis and "we had a lot of rooms" is not a response i'm satisfied with either." The University Inn never made it right.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank torrance15
Thank you for your review. Cleaning a room on a guest staying-over is a standard hotel practice. For the guests privacy, do not disturb signs are available for you to hang in the door. This means the hotel maid will not clean your room as per your request. Our hotel carries a full housekeeping staff to cover all rooms as well as a housekeeping supervisor to make sure the job is done.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fresno
University Square Hotel
Piccadilly Inn Express
Piccadilly Inn Express
#34 of 65 in Fresno
3.5 of 5 stars 138 reviews

Been to University Inn? Share your experiences!