“Beautiful on the outside. Needs a makeover on the inside.”

San Joaquin Suite Hotel
Ranked #17 of 64 Hotels in Fresno
“Beautiful on the outside. Needs a makeover on the inside.”
Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

I reserved a standard room with a pull out sofa only to find out my reservation was cancelled. Luckily they were able to find a room for us we just had to wait a have hour for it to be cleaned. This was after I called twice to confirm. My three children loved the pool and Jacuzzi even though the pool is not heated and the Jacuzzi doesn't work. Breakfast is great with many choices. The rooms decor is old and dated, but it is clean. Water pressure is also good. I recommend it if your on a budget.

• Stayed August 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Reviewed July 30, 2013

What a shock to see beautiful grounds and then walk into a rundown room and the love seat was not only dirty, but was so broken down. A room was originally requested for a room with a walk out balcony which was confirmed, but upon arriving it was given out to someone else. In the past I recommended this room to others and one friend had a room with a gigantic hole in the ceiling that she was afraid someone from above her might fall through. Apparently the owners do not care about upgrading the rooms and I do not recommend staying here.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Marilyn M
California
Reviewed July 5, 2013

I thought my room was great. Didn't expect such a big suite. Had trouble with one of the remotes but the one from the bedroom worked great. Couldn't take advantage of the balcony as the weather was extremely hot. Nice landscaping. Wish I could have sat outside and read & listened to the little fountain. I live with my son & he was having a dinner party and I did not want to attend so I choose this hotel to stay in. Carpet could stand to be cleaned. But overall my stay was wonderful. Nice selection for breakfast. The next time I have to stay at a hotel in Fresno I will pick this one. Thanks for a great stay.

Room Tip: I don't think you could pick a bad room.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Henderson, Nevada, United States
Reviewed June 29, 2013

It was a well manicured area, beautiful flowers and such around the pool and inner court. Our rooms were clean and in fairly good condition. Clean at first glance and roomy. We had issues right away with the WiFi. I had specifically asked about connectivity during booking. They had WiFi alright but management did not tell us it was slower than dial up when connected. Apparently they knew about the problem and weren't fixing it. One of three TVs worked well. One was completely dead. A cockroach the size of a chihuahua joined us for breakfast. We had booked for two days but moved on after the first night. Got a little noisy around midnight.

Room Tip: Choose a suite away from the elevator.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Texas
Reviewed June 12, 2013

This is an all-suite hotel that obviously has some age on it but, like a dowager holding onto her former glory, still opens a window on some gilded days gone by. If what you're looking for is comfort, clean and a lot of room at a bargain this is something to consider. Living room and bedroom, nice balcony, gorgeous landscaping and an outstanding location. Just about anything you want is on Shaw Avenue. I feel so sorry for the people who had to watch an old TV there (they give you two). Maybe they could stay home and watch their big HDTV and miss Yosemite and Sequoia. Sure the housekeeping is a little lackadaisical. They didn't seem to know to open doors and replace coffee supplies and remove the previous guests' empty bottles. And our refrigerator never got cold. Use the free ice. We did. But the room was clean and comfortable, it was convenient to CA 41 and where we wanted to go. And it was a tremendous bargain. That's important to real people.

Room Tip: Old side=bargain; new side=fancier. Eat the continental breakfast inside in a glassed-in pool house...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Peachpit01
Reviewed May 27, 2013

We were at the San Joaquin for a family reunion. It will be hard to remember all the thing this hotel did wrong. Despite weather in the 80s, the pool and hot tub are not heated--that's right, cold hot tub. Staff forgot our rollaway (and had no more to give) so one of my kids had to sleep on the love seat. No enough towels to go around, so none in the pool area until we asked for them. Dirty smells here and there, especially on the pool furniture. You get the feeling his place is limping along without the cash to maintain even basic standards. Stay somewhere else.

• Stayed May 2013
Reviewed April 28, 2013

My room decor is outdated. The 15 inch tv from the 70's is difficult to watch. Tried to take a bath but no hot water. I've never seen such a small fridge and microwave. The only nice thing is the grounds which are pretty. No help from the desk unless I wanted to pay more.

• Stayed April 2013