“Most disappointing stay anywhere ever” 2 of 5 stars
Review of San Joaquin Suite Hotel

San Joaquin Suite Hotel
Ranked #25 of 65 Hotels in Fresno
“Most disappointing stay anywhere ever”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

My room decor is outdated. The 15 inch tv from the 70's is difficult to watch. Tried to take a bath but no hot water. I've never seen such a small fridge and microwave. The only nice thing is the grounds which are pretty. No help from the desk unless I wanted to pay more.

• Stayed April 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Billericay, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

We stopped here for one night on our road trip en route from Las Vegas to San Francisco. What a delight, particularly for $70 per night! We had a suite with loads of space, there's a pool and spa, nice gardens and a great breakfast and breakfast room. Yes the décor is a bit 1980's and the TV's 1970's but we didn't care. The staff were very nice and helpful so I have no hesitation in saying that this deserves a 3 star rating no problem. Check it out if you're passing through Fresno and need somewhere to stay. Only negative although nothing to do with the hotel is that the surrounding streets are quite dark although everything seemed safe enough.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
tulare, ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a little special overnight trip with my hubby (First night away from new baby) on Sat night. The ground-floor rooms are nice, newly renovated. I don't know what any of the other rooms look like. I let the front desk know it was a special occasion and they automatically upgraded us to ground floor room at the same price. For the most part, the room appeared very clean. However I must note that the white down comforter appeared to have a small blood spot on it. The main annoyance for me, came when I realized that the fan in the bathroom could not be turned off. So, in order to enjoy the nice large bathtub, I had to take a bath in the dark. Also, we went to dinner and came back a little after 11, changed into our swim clothes, and headed for the spa, only to be informed by the front desk that it closed at 11. There were no signs indicating this, and we were caught completely off guard. This was one of the main reasons I picked the hotel, for the nice spa atmosphere. The hotel would not make an exception and let the two of us enjoy the spa... again, the bathroom fan became a real annoyance....
Also, around 11:30 pm, we opened our blinds only to disconcertingly realize that a police car was parked outside. It made us wonder.
Overall, it was a pretty good stay. We might stay here again but I will probably continue looking for something that's more Fourseasons quality.

• Stayed April 2013
San Jose, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

For $69 a night, this was a steal! Instead of a regular motel or hotel chain we decided to try San Joaquin given the great reviews it had received. The regular one bedroom suite was a bit old, but affordable, spacious, clean and very comfortable. Ours was called the 'Director's Suite' on the 2nd floor overlooking the pool on one side and a quiet side road on the other. We had a living room with a sofa, a bedroom with a queen bed and a large bathroom with a tub and shower. It did get a bit warm at night as there was no airconditioning. The breakfast was simple and adequate, and the location on Shaw St was faily close to a lot of restaurants and shopping malls. Despite being a bit old, we enjoyed staying here the one night we were in Fresno and the hotel definitely exceeded our expectations given the price.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
vancouver island
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

never having stayed in fresno, our stay at the san joaquin suites was less than expected. the hotel is trying to do a nice job of fixing up suites and the two room option is very nice when travelling with your dog. the hotel grounds inside the courtyard are lush and relaxing, the breakfast room was quiet and the breakfast options were decent, beds were comfortable. we stayed on a friday night, and although the hotel was not crowded, some of the guests, on the second floor had waht felt like a party of 10 very young children up all hours, yelling and screaming until the early hours, when i complained to the front desk about the activity, it was mostly ignored. in addition there was a large street party going on at the rear of the hotel, which kept any plans for a quiet sleep from happening, but guaranted an early wake up. many guests were outside their rooms in the interior courtyard lokking to have security deal with the problems but this was a losing battle. very disapointed at the front desk at check out knowing there were problems overnite to not ask about our stay. best part of the stay was our visit to the health food whole food market about 4 blocks away for a lite dinner. will not stay in fresno again.

Room Tip: ground floor rooms have a sliding door to a small sitting area with fenced patio, upper floors have...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
San Jose
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I stayed at the San Joaquin just one night and found it to be very nice. I chose one of the upgraded rooms (they a special discount available that night - yay!) and was happy with the layout (I was alone, so didn't need much space), the cleanliness and the quiet. I felt very safe and secure, and I liked the secure parking as well. I haven't stayed in one of the original rooms, but will probably give that a try next time. I will definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: The upgraded rooms are very nice - but I haven't tried the original rooms yet.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Washington DC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

A disappointment from beginning to end. While it's advertised as a suite hotel, and there is a wall separating the bedroom from the "living" area, the rooms are incredibly small and the word "suite" is a far stretch. The living area was probably ten feet by twelve feet and the bedroom about the same.
The place was dirty - walking without shoes felt like I was on a beach and was something I did not do a second time.
Both the property and the furnishings are very shopworn, and this was a "renovated" room.
Breakfast? A joke! A really bad joke! Breakfast consisted of cereal, Wonder Bread, some darker Wonder Bread, black bananas and a couple of withered apples. Coffee was good, though.
When I checked in I had planned to stay for five days, but checked out immediately the first morning after having coffee and viewing the breakfast offerings.
Strangely enough, when I left, there were only two cars in the entire parking area - apparently many people had gotten the word ahead of time.
Fresno, not being a major metropolis, requires that you temper your expectations a bit, but the San Joaquin Suite Hotel is not up to even Fresno standards. Try one of the major mid-level chains and bypass this place.

Room Tip: The only acceptable rooms are in another hotel.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars

Travelers are raving about these Fresno hotels