“Bad, Even for Fresno”

San Joaquin Suite Hotel
Ranked #16 of 64 Hotels in Fresno
Reviewed December 26, 2012

A disappointment from beginning to end. While it's advertised as a suite hotel, and there is a wall separating the bedroom from the "living" area, the rooms are incredibly small and the word "suite" is a far stretch. The living area was probably ten feet by twelve feet and the bedroom about the same.
The place was dirty - walking without shoes felt like I was on a beach and was something I did not do a second time.
Both the property and the furnishings are very shopworn, and this was a "renovated" room.
Breakfast? A joke! A really bad joke! Breakfast consisted of cereal, Wonder Bread, some darker Wonder Bread, black bananas and a couple of withered apples. Coffee was good, though.
When I checked in I had planned to stay for five days, but checked out immediately the first morning after having coffee and viewing the breakfast offerings.
Strangely enough, when I left, there were only two cars in the entire parking area - apparently many people had gotten the word ahead of time.
Fresno, not being a major metropolis, requires that you temper your expectations a bit, but the San Joaquin Suite Hotel is not up to even Fresno standards. Try one of the major mid-level chains and bypass this place.

Room Tip: The only acceptable rooms are in another hotel.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed October 16, 2012

nice and quiet, good area, food is near. I looked at a lot of hotels this is the first one i looked at, then drove around looking for what i wanted, at least 8 differnt ones....this one fit the bill...a little peace and qiuet

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank James S
Reviewed September 24, 2012 via mobile

If there was a secret gem in the BEST section of Fresno, this hotel is IT.
We keep coming back here repeatedly and when you do, they grace you with an awesome corporate rate so be sure to ask for it! Pet friendly with a lovely pool and decent breakfast. Plus it IS an all suite hotel so the only thing small about the rooms is the price! Super friendly staff and the place has a mellow quiet vibe. Even though it is not a 3.5 or 4 star property we pick this over the "nicer" hotel because of the reasons mentioned above.

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed August 20, 2012

I am a local, but this is the hotel we have stayed at before both my sister and my weddings. My husband and I also spent the night here on our wedding night. My out of town family and friends also stayed here. Every one seemed pleased.

For both of our weddings we stayed in what they call a "deluxe two bedroom suite." It's very comfy and spacious. They easily sleep four, but we brought in roll away beds and had up to 7 girls staying in the room. We all got ready in the room before the wedding and had plenty of room for hair, makeup, etc. I have not been in any of the other room types. I was told there wasn't anything really special about the standard rooms, but there were no complaints. Everything was clean and comfy.

The staff here is super nice. The location is central (although Fresno is exceedingly spread out so you have to drive every where no matter where you stay). The pool and central courtyard are a really nice usable outdoor space with little seating areas spread throughout. I would highly suggest this hotel to anyone visiting from out of town.

Room Tip: Stayed in the deluxe two bedroom suite, last one towards the back of the hotel on the 1st floor
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Ciyra
Reviewed July 28, 2012

My new Husband and I stayed the night befor are wedding with are wedding party and then the night of are wedding. We love this place and the staff treated us as family. Are Friends and Family came in and out of are rooms as we got ready and all just loved the look!

Room Tip: If you want fancy then ask for the newly remodelled rooms.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Schatzi C
Reviewed July 28, 2012

we stayed at this hotel and was so satisfied with the rooms and they were beautiful inside so warm the guest service was so good they were eager to please us when we needed something we used the atrium for the wedding and it was such a great place to have a reception was pleaseant and bright it was very high class place to have it the place is run so well and managed well everyone there were so nice and polite we felt like family here

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Brian C
Reviewed July 22, 2012

Unfortunately we ended up at this place, extremely tired we exited shaw ave heading towards the first decent hotel we could find to catch some rest. San Joaquin looked nice from the outside, at about midnight, so we pulled in and my husband ran in to see if they had anything available, sure enough they did! The reception area looked clean and nice, and all suites... We thought we had gotten a deal at $89 a night for a regular suite..... Until we walked up to our 'presidential suite' on the third floor! As soon as we opened the door and walked in we were greated with the smell of filth and not only outdated furniture, but broke down furniture...
It looked like the furniture in our room were odds and end pieces picked up from a local yard sale!
I felt like I was part of a bad prank for a second, it was like a motel room from a horror movie..... I could go into so much more detail but to sum it up this place is a dump, would never recommend!!!

• Stayed: July 2012