WINNER WONDERLAND

Piccadilly Inn Shaw
Ranked #7 of 65 Hotels in Fresno
“Never stay here.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2012

My mom, daughter & I stayed here last night on our way to Disney Land. We parked in a very well lit spot close to our room and upon returning to our car this morning it had been vandalized. A side window & the rear window had been smashed. When I went to go talk to the front desk about it, the clerk was both aware of it and rude and unhelpful. When I asked why they had neglected to let me know since they already knew, she stated that we had a do not disturb sign on our door and had tried to call. She was completely unapologetic and unsympathetic about the entire situation and stated that they were not responsible in any way and it happens all the time in fresno. I requested the phone number to the local police, she informed me that I would have to deal with that myself, she did end up writing it down for me, in a begrudging way. I was told a supervisor from the Inn may call me on Monday. Their parking lot has a sign stating that they patrol it 24 hours, obviously this is not the case, and while they are not responsible for any damage done to your vehicle they also will not care if anything happens to it either. They are located in a fine part of town and have a parking lot that is well lit in many places, the room was clean and if I had not experienced their complete lack of courtesy, I would have recommended them. However, after this experience I highly recommend staying elsewhere.

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank Ksrasra77
PiccShawGM, General Manager at Piccadilly Inn Shaw, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. I am glad to hear that your room met your expectations. I am disappointed that we clearly dropped the ball on how we handled the unfortunate situation that occurred during your stay. We should have handled your vehicle break in with more care, compassion and urgency. Guest safety and satisfaction is a priority for us at the Piccadilly Inn Shaw. We have since updated all our procedures and have retrained all staff on how too properly handle guest incidents. With the property being set on 7.5 acres we do have security and do our best watch all that is happening on site. I apologize again that your travels were affected and you did not have a positive stay with us while visiting Fresno. Please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel with any other questions or concerns.
Paula Flores

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
  • Korean first
Riverside, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2012

After reading the reviews, our director decided to choose Piccadilly Inn Shaw as our band's hotel for the 2012 Western Band Association Championships. The rooms were only $79 for four people to a room, and the property wasn't too far from our show location. So we decided to go with it. If only we had known...

My initial reaction to the property was positive. I had seen it on Google Maps before, and I had braced myself because I knew (thanks TripAdvisor users!) beforehand that the property was a little dated. It was afternoon, I wasn't too tired, and it was pretty smooth sailing. That was the high point of our stay.

Upon entry to the building we are in (there are several buildings--think college dorm village, sort of), I smelled smoke. The sign said this was a nonsmoking building, but I guess that wasn't honored, or something. I went into the room and it was pleasantly spacious; however, the only thought I could come up with was "wow, this is VERY dated". The curtains and bedding were hideous. The bathroom was in need of renovation. It was pretty old. Not only was the layout sort of college dorm-esque, remove the bathroom and that's about the quality that these rooms were. Sort of disappointing. No A/V jacks on the TV, for those of you wondering. Also, the heating/air conditioning system is seasonally restricted. It was quite warm out when we arrived at the hotel and there was no way to turn the air conditioning on. Disappointing.

Next! Relax time! There was an exercise room, a pool (spa was out), and a golf course. Didn't try the golf course. Friends were reporting that the pool was nice. It did look wonderful! I have to give it my compliments for that. The exercise room...a different story. Lots of mirrors in there, made it look a lot bigger than it was. There was four machines total, for the whole hotel, and two weren't working. Great. Bad show, folks. Bad show. It was a fairly uneventful remainder of the night. We went to Home Town Buffet, which was very close. Good location.

The next morning was what took my review from four stars to two. First, we woke up and the room next to us (part of our group) found a cockroach in their bed. That was great. Reported to front desk, they wrote something down and said "Sorry 'bout that". I don't know if that's an appropriate response to a cockroach. Another room in our group found trash from a previous guest just thrown on the bed. Isn't that a health code violation? The breakfast was extremely disappointing. We were told a "hot breakfast" with "bacon and scrambled eggs" and things. What was there? One platter of fruit (gone within 5 minutes because there was two groups there), two waffle makers (lines were VERY long) and coffee and juice. And biscuits. Well, blow me down.

Run down of a few other amenities, the WiFi was through AT&T so it was easy to access, no little surprises. It was slow but that was to be expected with a lot of teenagers with a lot of devices. I forgive that. Everything else was your standard hotel experience.

Anyway, to sum it all up, it was an OK experience. Borderline OK. Wouldn't recommend a stay there. If staying in Fresno, I'd recommend one of the countless Hilton or Marriott chains.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Hayden J
PiccShawGM, General Manager at Piccadilly Inn Shaw, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave your valuable feedback. I am sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations during your stay with us. Your director did connect with my staff and we were made aware of all the unfortunate incidents that you mentioned in your review upon check out. We are currently working on improvements to all areas that you mentioned including upgrading to new TV’s, new channels and Spa has been fixed. The breakfast has had some changes, as well as making sure our staff have all retrained and prepared for large groups. Thank you again for your review.
Pismo Beach, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2012 via mobile

Reserved our 1 night stay at the last minute on Hotwire.com. Being a native of this area originally, I know this used to be a very nice place to stay. Well, that was 30 years ago, and I think that's how old most the furnishings in the room are. Haha. We paid $71 plus tax, well not bad I guess, but bring extra pillows, and some soap for the shower because you just get the one so make up your mind, wash your hands after the restroom, or use it to wash your...you know, in the shower? How much can 2 bars cost? The rooms really need updating, and the chair and ottoman have seen better days. I immediately toss the bedspread on the floor. After watching Hotels Impossible, I wont even put my dirty feet on it. The TV was still a big boxy one, i thought those were extinct? It looks tiny in the huge cabinet. Oh, and there was a tiny refrigerator inside of the door of the cabinet. Couldnt use the freezer section because it had tons of frost on it. It wasn't a spectacular room, but it was ok. They didn't put us on the busy street side of the hotel so that was nice. I actually think we were about the only ones in our wing, so pretty quiet. But then it was only a Wednesday night. The weekends get noisy because of wedding parties and receptions hosted here.

• Stayed November 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your feedback. Indeed we have some upgrading to do and our new ownership is in fact springing for many new amenities. We are currently installing new TV’s in all 188 rooms, upgraded channels, removal of bedspreads and new pillows. I am sorry that our housekeeping staff failed to defrost the in room refrigerator, during your stay. Yes, the single level bungalows are the most requested due to the location and being away from the street. We hope if you ever visit Fresno again, you give us another opportunity to show off all our upgrades.
Fresno, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2012

Stayed here the weekend of my wedding and it was the hotel choice of our wedding guests. They first off gave us a great deal on the rooms. The staff was very accomidating with all of our wedding party needs. The rooms are nice and clean. The location cannot be beat. Breakfast was included each morning of the stay.

I have to make a point to say that Michelle at the front desk went above and beyond for me. Anything I asked of her it was taken care of. She always had a smile on her face and even our guests commented on how nice, kind and professional she was. She was the shinning star of the Piccadilly staff.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone!!!

Room Tip: They are currently upgrading rooms. Try and get an upgraded room. And get to breakfast early on the...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your kinds words about Michelle. I am glad you and your guests enjoyed your stay with us. We are currently upgrading our rooms, so next time you find yourself in Fresno; I hope you stay with again.
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

.. and get a grip here on all the critical reviews! It is a solid place to stay in a pretty good area of Fresno. Yes, dated a bit with the cottage cheese ceilings but my room was super clean with newer carpeting, clean bathroom, plenty of space, free internet access, free parking. And a hot breakfast included with real scrammbled eggs, sausage, bagels, juice and hot coffee. Where else can one get all of the above for $90 per night?

It was a business trip, so I had supper in the restaurant. My tomato soup tasted like someone poured a can of marinara sauce onto a plate. So, do not order the tomato soup. But, my steak salad was good with fresh greens and plenty of thinly sliced, perfectly grilled meat. And the service was very pleasant.

This place really stands out in its category.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
We appreciate your valuable feedback. I am happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are currently upgrading our rooms to include flat screens, updated channel options, new pillows and bedding. We strive to keep our breakfast fresh and I am glad we meet your expectations. I am sorry to hear that your soup was not up to our standards. We have a new Chef and quality tasting of our soup de jour every night is now being tasted and approved before being served in Oliver’s Pub. If you’re ever back in Fresno again please stay with us and check out our new updated rooms and try our new dinner options in the Pub.
Fresno, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2012

I flew from out of state to go to the local VA hospital here. First they matched the expedia price i found online without having to go through expedia. I told them I'm coming to goto the hospital, they were very helpful. I had lots of questions on the area, how close they are to the airport, the VA hospital, reliable cab services, etc....all were met with friendly answers. The front staff were prompt and courteous. Happy hour was a good deal. Excellent food! If you've never had blue cheese fried...you need to. I had to catch a cab before 6am, their breakfast time, I asked the manager if they would give me a bagel and a piece of fruit the night before. Not only did I get a bagel and fruit, I got a metal tray full of samples of everything they had to offer! The bartender was exceptionally friendly. The rooms were nice and clean, nothing fancy but clean these days is hard to find. Outstanding stay. I had a ton of weight on my shoulders from my surgery, they made the medical trip much easier.

Room Tip: Avoid where you see kids. The hotel is a set of "suites" with about 6-10 rooms in each se...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
PiccShawGM, General Manager at Piccadilly Inn Shaw, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Thank you Mark for your valuable feedback. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our staff took care of you. If you are ever back in Fresno (hopefully not for a hospital visit) please stay or stop by and see all the changes that are happening at the property.
Santa Clarita, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2012

I really liked this hotel. The staff was pleasant, the room was clean and spacious, and the beds were reasonably comfortable. I'd recommend that you turn the A/C down before the sun goes down, unless you are a penguin and like it frozen when you get back from wherever you've been. Otherwise, though, this place had a nice temporary living space, with a little dining table, a fridge (but not microwave), coffee machine, and a cute little vanity area for me to put my makeup on. Also appreciated the free wi-fi and comfy office chair. TV channel selection was wanting, but I didn't come to Fresno to watch TV. The kids were able to find something to keep them appeased. The free breakfast was okay--no eggs or bacon as I was expecting, just waffles, bagels, sweet rolls, fruit, and cereal. I also was told by the front desk that the property has recently changed ownership and they will be renovating the rooms soon. They seemed fine to me, although my husband noted some water damage to the carpet. And if you like that kind of thing, I guess soon they will be putting in big-screen TV's, although honestly I don't see why that's ever a big draw for anyone. But if you need a clean and safe place to stay for a night or two, the Picadilly is a good choice.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your valuable feed back. We have indeed under new ownership and many postive changes are happening. Upgrading our breakfast is one of those changes, and we are currently painting the exterior of the property and will be upgrading bathrooms, Television's and TV channels. If your back in the Fresno area in the next couple months, I hope you stay with us again and experience the many changes that are happening.