“Poor customer service”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Long Beach, California
“Poor customer service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2014

The Homewood Suites facility was actually very good. My room was clean, and I enjoyed having a living/dining room and a separate bedroom. My one complaint about the room was the pillows on the bed -- very poor down pillows that offered no neck support and would go flat as soon as you put your head down.

My other significant complaint about my room was the location in the hotel. I was assigned a room facing towards a major street. After I checked in and went to my room, I could hear the street noise and went back to the front desk to be reassigned. I did not believe the front desk clerk told me the truth that there were no other rooms available for the first 2 nights of my 3 night stay. When I later asked about getting foam pillows, I was told there were no additional ones available that night.

The breakfast buffet was decent, but not outstanding. Dinner is offered only Monday through Thursday, so it was available only one night I was there. That night they had tilapia, which placed a pungent fish odor in the lobby and dining areas.

One other aspect that I've seen other business travelers comment in other reviews is the slow speed of the internet connection. I gave up on downloading a 2mb file, since it was going to take 10 minutes.

Room Tip: Even numbered rooms face the interior courtyard, and have little street noise. However, the courtyar...
Green Features: I'm not sure if my bedding was changed each night, but my towels were changed out despite leaving them hanging from the towel rod. Very disappointing given the severe drought in California.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Jennifer M, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Fresno, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Jeff,

Thank you for sharing a review about your stay with us on Trip Advisor. I understand that street noise was a concern and I am sorry the staff did not take care of you. We want everyone that stays with us to have an exceptional experience and I would really appreciate you contacting me to discuss this further so it does not happen again. I do hope the next time your travels bring you to the area you will give us another chance; we would love to have you. Thank you!

Jennifer Mooradian

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2014

Very rarely do I give a negative rating to a place but this warrants it mainly due to the customer service we did not receive. Had problem with the toilet at 11 pm - was told maintenance person not available until 7:30 am the next morning - no other option given. A toilet that is broken is something that needs to be addressed immediately. Was hoping to hear from the hotel management but no one ever contact us. Won't be going back even though the room was clean.

Room Tip: Make sure your toilet flushes before maintenance person goes off duty!!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Rebecca K, Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Fresno, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
Dear Nancy017,

I want to start by sincerely apologizing for the lack of service you received on your most recent stay with us. A plumbing problem is definitely an issue that should be addressed immediately and I am embarrassed to hear that this problem was not handled with urgency by our staff. I would like to speak to you about this further so I can get more details regarding this specific issue and take the appropriate action to see that this does not happen in the future. Our guests should expect to receive excellent customer service every time they visit our property and I do apologize that we failed to meet your expectations. I do hope you give our property another try next time you are in the Fresno area so we can give you the experience you expect and deserve.

Rebecca
West Orange, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2014

We stayed here for about a week while visiting family in Fresno. First of all, the property was very clean and well-maintained. I would have come back to this hotel just for that. Then there was free breakfast that was delicious and had lots of variety including some healthy choices (vegetarian and unprocessed, if you are that type). Wi-Fi is free and fast.

What was truly amazing and so refreshing in this place though was the professionalism, friendliness and authenticity of the staff in rendering their service -- from the front desk to the breakfast/dinner crew to room service. I live and work in the NYC metro area so not being treated rudely is about the best I can expect for "professional" service (and that is pathetic).

I was so touched by how the staff here made us feel so welcomed and how they extended that warmth to my family members. My family lives in Fresno. I asked the hotel the night before if I can have my young nieces and nephews (about 5 of them) come over and use the swimming pool. The front desk sounded aghast that I even had to ask. He said, "Of course! You are allowed guests here! Please have them come over for breakfast even and dinner." (And the hotel provides free breakfast and dinner during the week.)

My nieces and nephews had such a grand time, they asked if they may come again the next day. I said yes as that will be very convenient for me to spend time with them while their parents were at work and I didn't have to shuttle 5 kids around in our rented mini cooper :) The next day however there was an "Out of Service" sign posted in the pool area (probably chlorinating). The kids were so heartbroken. I didn't know what else to do with them so I let them wander about the hotel property (I felt it was safe enough in the hotel and the surrounding area to let them do that). They came back a few minutes later, very excited, saying they were given key passes to use the swimming pool in the next hotel over (a Marriott property). And they were munching on cookies the kitchen staff gave them to boot!

So I want to thank the hotel and their staff for their amazing service that created some wonderful memories for me and my family.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank cvz1820
Dear cvz1820,

Thank you so much for all of your kind words and positive feedback. I am so pleased to hear not only how much you enjoyed our facility and amenities, but also how wonderful and accomodating our staff was. Our goal is to make our guest feel like this is there home away from home and I am so happy to hear they did that for you and your family. We did have some minor problems with our pool but I'm happy to report that they have been resolved. We are very grateful to our sister property next door for helping us out and allowing our guest to utilize their pool while ours was being treated. We look forward to you and your family coming to see us again in the future.

Rebecca
St Ives
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2014

Our stay at the Homewood Suites Fresno far exceeded our expectations. The staff we so helpful, we had free breakfasts throughout our stay and complimentary dinner Monday thru Thursday. Dinner was super delicious and staff most welcoming. The interconnecting rooms were perfect for our family of 4. Spacious and super comfy all round. It was a perfect central location for our visits to the National Parks. We would recommend this hotel to anyone and would stay again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton

Laguna Niguel, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2014

We stayed there on the way to Yosemite. For some strange reason there was nobody at the desk for good 10 minutes just a security guy who looked at me as if i was to rob the place ;)
Once a person sowed up check i was smooth and easy. The room was nice, clean and cold. Their air blows either super cold or warm air. I don't like those under the window units as they are loud and blow cold air right on the sleeping person. The breakfast in the morning was quite OK. I'd say standard these days.
I'd stay there next time if I am in the area.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2014

This was our first visit to a Homewood Suites, but probably not our last.
The room was spacious, clean and well equipped, including a small kitchen area.
We arrived too late for the complimentary cocktail hour, but enjoyed the provided breakfast.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2014

The entire staff were outstanding. There are three employees that I would like to commend: Jenifer-manager, Ernesto-front desk and Diane-our evening server. We have stayed at the Fresno Homewood Suites several times and we will be staying there again on June 29th. Again I would like to complement the entire staff at this hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family