“Nice, but small garden”

Shinzen Japanese Garden
Ranked #4 of 54 things to do in Fresno
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: The Shinzen Friendship Garden is a traditional northwestern American Japanese Garden. The Garden was constructed to honor Fresno’s Sister City, Kochi, Japan, celebrating the spirit of understanding and promoting educational and cultural awareness. The beauty, grace and serenity of Japanese design is present in the use of varied plant material, rocks and stones, and water throughout the five acre garden. The garden is designed around the four seasons of Spring, Summer, Fall and Winter; granite markers identify each section. In the Fall of 2015 we were proud to be chosen to house and display the world-class Clark Bonsai Collection, which is now on permanent display in the garden, offering a seasonal rotation of some of the finest Bonsai in the United States.
Reviewed March 10, 2013

This garden is nice, but very small. Compared to other botanical gardens, we found this to be on the small side. So small, you wonder why they charge a fee to park and an entrance fee. At the time we went, parking was $5 and $3/person. Some of the waterfalls are pretty, but none are natural and the pump station noise gives that away pretty clearly. The other parts of the park are just as nice as this area, so its worthwhile to venture outside the small garden to spend some more time to get your money worth. The garden, even at a slow strolling pace, won't take more than 15-20 minutes to walk through.

6  Thank zeroorone

Reviewed March 5, 2013

I couldn't hold it any longer so I took a shizen the Japanese Garden. I did not get into trouble so I stayed for a while. There are some very pretty features. The Koi pond is nice. So is the rest of the park area. There wasn't much in bloom in January - bad timing on my part.

6  Thank kuwells
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I love this place. I have been here for weddings, and I took my Mother out there one Christmas Day. She got a kick out of feeding the Koi fish.

4  Thank dbrgdmn
Reviewed August 23, 2012

Tucked in the corner of Woodward Park is this gem. Springtime is spectacular when the trees are blooming. There is a family of Peacocks that live here and they are really a kick.

2  Thank LesJ831
Reviewed July 8, 2012

We went in July, so maybe it's just that there was nothing in bloom, & nothing really unusual in the landscaping. It was peaceful & there were a lot of ducks (too many really). We also saw a couple of peacocks. It looked like Woodward Park would be a nice place to spend the day with your family, but I would definitely not make a special trip just to see the garden. There is a $5.00 parking fee to get into the park itself (free if you're a senior) and a charge to get into the park. It's not a lot, but still I wouldn't pay just to go to the garden.

9  Thank goldenruler