“I liked it”

Motel 6 Fresno, CA - Yosemite Hwy
Ranked #54 of 64 Hotels in Fresno
Reviewed April 2, 2010

We were traveling with our dog to visit family in the Fresno area and hit up Yosemite, and decided to stay here. The website said it was $25 extra to have a pet stay with you, but the hotel only charged $10.

This is a budget hotel, and by budget hotel standards this place was great. If you are comparing it to a stay at a Hampton Inn or (newer) La Quinta, you're doing it wrong. This is a competitor to Motel 6.

Anyway, we were staying in the pet room. They let us check in early (11:30am). I was expecting the worst, due to price and it being a pet room. But no smells, no stains on the carpet, and no fleas.

The linens on the bed looked to be fairly new, everything had a fresh coat of paint on it (ok, it was at least 6 months old, but budget hotels normally haven't been repainted in decades). Everything was clean. The room was quiet.

For a budget hotel, they had a free breakfast that gives higher scale hotels a run for their money. They had room service. In the parking lot surrounding the hotel is a Long John Silvers, a Taco Bell, and a Korean owned "asian" cafe. A short walk brings you to a bunch of restaurants and bars, and a short drive will bring you to shopping and more food choices.

So I recommend this place if you are looking for BUDGET accommodations. Everything was clean, quiet, and the location was great. Plenty of towels and soap.

If you are looking for plush carpet, new furniture and flat panel TVs pay the extra money to stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ShawnDoc
There are newer reviews for Motel 6 Fresno, CA - Yosemite Hwy

Reviewed February 8, 2009

My family and I just got home from staying at the Rodeway Inn.Never again will we stay there again!FIRST off my husband told them there was 4 of us and they put us in a room with only one bed!!!the room looks reallly old the carpet looks like it hasn't been clean in over a deacde!We could not sleep at all due to "gangsters" outside yelling profanity at eachother and breaking out into fighting also we could hear the people upstairs EVERY move!! all's we could hear is squeeking all night!!PERFECT WHEN YOU HAVE 2 LITTLE YOUNG KIDS RIGHT?? also the toliet wasn't cleaned at all prior to out arrival..sink was dirty, and the lights would turn on and off..the room also had a nasty smell to it..
last, but not least they serve breakfast it says until 9:30 a.m so we get there at 9:15 with our 2 hungry children and they said they stop serving at 9:00!!!! don't stay here we have had better service at motel 6!!DONT STAY HERE!!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed September 9, 2008

I was quoted a price of $62 "after taxes" with the AAA discount, which convinced me to stop for the night at this Rodway Inn. It had been a long day of visiting the Yosemite area, so I wasn't really asking many questions to the desk person on the phone. I only knew that this property had once been a Red Roof Inn.

I told the counter person it was very important I was put into a room away from any families or other potential sources of noise, as I was going to be sleeping in after spending a week in the wilderness. He obliged, putting me in a top floor room away from other guests. I was very pleased he took this seriously!

The check in was good, with a friendly counter person. The room was very clean. The mattresses wasn't luxury, but it was *much* more comfortable than anything I've been on in a Motel 6 or Super 8. Overall, the condition of the room was quite good. there was a corner work desk, but it was very small. The chair with it was exceptionally uncomfortable, so I'd be leery about selecting this motel for any "business" use.

Free and adequately working wireless internet was a plus! One criticism of the property was the shower water temperature kept wildly fluctuating, requiring constant adjusment during a shower to avoid ice cold or scalding hot water.

I was very happy with my stay, until 7:30AM the next morning, when I was awakened by the housekeeping staff who were *yelling* at one another across the property, down the walkways. They started wheeling these noisy cleaning carts down the hallways as well, rumbling them without any attempt to be quiet. I was NOT pleased with this. Constant yelling back and forth as they started their cleaning duties is NOT acceptable at ANY lodging establishment.

To make things worse, about a half hour later, they started to power-wash the outside corridor walkways, so I had a deafening noise just outside my room... making it impossible to get anymore rest.

I guess the night counter person had no idea that there'd be powerwashing on the corridors on Sunday morning? Regardless, it completely defeated my attempt to sleep in.

Lastly, upon check out, I was dismayed to learn my bill was $70, not the $62 "after taxes" I was told on the phone. Either an oversight or miscommunication, it was a deciding factor on me to choose to stay at this property, and I wasn't happy to learn my stay was more expensive than quoted.

Counter person didn't even bother to ask "how my stay was"... she probably could guess from my face.

The last insult happened while walking to my car. The half-wit running the power washer from the third floor caused a rain of soapy wash water to cascade all over me as I walked by. I think the screamed profanity I made gave him a clue, because the soap-rain immediately stopped.

Had the maintainance and cleaning crews been more attuned to guest comfort, I think I'd have a better report about this motel... but I'm still angry enough at this experience to not want to give them a second chance next time I'm in the area. Its too bad, as the room was pretty good, though I think there's equally or better values in the Fresno area for $70, especially after beign surprised with a more expensive bill.

I think perhaps I should've vocally COMPLAINED to the counter person, but I was eager to get the hell out of there and back on my vacation trip.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed January 7, 2008

The main reason I chose this motel was the location. As a former resident of Fresno, I was familiar with its location - a somewhat central portion of the city (Herndon/Blackstone) with convenient access to Highway 41, River Park shopping center, and several restaurants.

The motel itself was basic - but adequate. The exterior is very concrete because the motel is built in the middle of a business area and located behind two fast food restaurants.

The front desk staff was very courteous.

Because of our schedule, we did not eat the continental breakfast. I was able to check it out though, and it had all the basic offerings of your typical continental breakfast.

Our room was on the backside of the motel which faces the businesses. Parking was not an issue. Since we stayed in January, we did not use the pool facilities, but it looked well maintained. There is also an onsite laundry facility.

The room itself was older, but very clean. (I couldn't tell if our room had been remodeled as some of the other reviews have stated.)
- The pillows were not anything to write home about and the bed was okay, but overall we slept well.
- The bathroom was tiled and clean.
- The TV was larger than some other places I have stayed, with a variety of channel selections (2 ESPN, 3 HBO, several local/cable channels).
- The room did not have a hair dryer or an iron. We did not need these items, so we did not ask for them.

Overall, I was satisfied with our stay. It served our basic need and the price was fantastic.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 19, 2007

I stayed there for the weekend with several families as we were in town for a soccer tournament. I must say, it was far better than I expected. This is obviously not a top level boutique hotel, but we had a great stay. The rooms were perfectly clean and totally adequate. Things like the bathrooms were above average - for example the grout is completely clean/new. Then the amenities were above average - the TV's were flat screen (but still tube) and slightly larger than the very ones you get at truly cheap hotels. The rooms were perfectly quiet, even the ones facing the main street, as there were solid doors and the place is set back a bit from the street.

Finally, the staff were all super friendly and very easy to work with. I'd stay there again!

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed September 12, 2007

Basic. There were no frills in the room I stayed in, but it was clean. The hot tub was out of order while we were there but the pool was open and appeared well-kept. The continental breakfast had more variety than some I have seen and it was good enough to satisfy my picky kid and my picky self on my low-fat diet.

My only complaints: the pillow was so flat it defies description and I think they need to change the filter on the AC because the air coming out of it was not very fresh.

Oh and the tour-bus that parked outside my door and idled for an hour starting at 6 am, that was a blast... but in no way the fault of the hotel. Fresno is a gateway for tours to Yosemite, so maybe asking for a room at the back of the motel would be a good idea to avoid the early morning buses.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed March 14, 2007

My one-night stay in this room was part of an organized bus tour embarking for Yosemite National Park the next day, which was on the President's Day weekend.

The room on the third floor was basic, clean and comfortable enough to get a night's sleep (I am generally not overly nitpicky about a room, unless it is a complete mess). I did not venture out in the neighborhood around this Red Roof Inn as there was no need to do so, as the tour group had dinner elsewhere in town. In addition, there were no major problems encountered during the stay, except that some folks kept running up and down the balcony in the wee hours of the morning and causing the room to somewhat rattle.

The next day, there was free continental breakfast consisting of bagels, pastries, orange juice, and coffee in the lobby to be enjoyed.

Stayed: February 2007