“Not worth $170 per night. Go somewhere else”

Best Western Plus Garden Court Inn
Ranked #1 of 19 Hotels in Fremont
Reviewed October 9, 2013

I stayed here overnight on business. There was no elevator to the second floor so I carried my two suitcases up several flights and had to carry them down again, back to the lobby and back up the stairs because the door did not accept my room key. The room reeked of smoke but I could not change rooms because the hotel was booked. There were numerous brown mold spots growing all over the bathroom ceiling. The maintenance man who came to clean it even said that it was pretty disgusting and he also smelled the smoke in this supposed non smoking room. I would have changed hotels but had to prepare for my meetings and could not spare the time finding another hotel. You can find someplace much nicer and cleaner for $170 per night so don't waste your money here.

• Stayed: October 2013
GardenCourtInn54, Manager at Best Western Plus Garden Court Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2013

I am very sorry to hear of your problems with your room. As you can see by the mostly great reviews, we take the guest experience very seriously. Please feel free to call the hotel and ask for the General Manager so that we can discuss further.

We want all of our guests to feel comfortable, safe and welcomed.

Reviewed September 30, 2013

Were I to stay here again, I would certainly double check the rate when checking in, and also again carefully when reviewing my bill.

The rate was supposed to be $99 and was confirmed in the reservation documents.

The hotel had me sign an acknowledgement of the rate upon check-in, which I recall being $99. They don't slip the bill under the door, so I went to the concierge to check out, quickly reviewed the bill and it looked about right. A few days later, when I reviewed the bill in detail, it shows that the rate charged was actually $99.99.

The hotel will not provide a copy of the signed acknowledgement for me to verify if they had swapped the rate as early as check in, as its "their proprietary documentation", or whether this is an unpleasant surprise in the final bill.

I wish I'd caught this at checkout, however, given that its only 99c over the confirmed rate, I'll chalk it up as a cheap lesson for me.

As for the room, I ended up with an ok room, fit for purpose. The initial room that they had assigned to me had a strong odor of smoke in it, and the door was open upon approach. I quickly switched rooms as they charge a hefty fee for smoking in the room, and I didn't want to get stuck with someone else's fine.Perhaps they should charge more to pay for more effective deodorizing.

Average would be the rating for the room I ended up with. Reflecting upon the room that they first assigned me, and the mixup over the rate, I reconsidered and the experience rates no higher than a poor.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
GardenCourtInn54, General Manager at Best Western Plus Garden Court Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2013

Thank you for your review of the hotel. I am sorry that there was a rate problem. Please contact the hotel and ask for the General Manager. I will certainly take care of this matter.

Please come back and visit the hotel and our staff anytime.

Reviewed September 26, 2013

I needed to be in Fremont so the Best Western Garden Court Inn caught my eye on line. Beautiful plush landscaping that is natural. Friendly staff and large rooms. Great breakfast with a friendly gal taking care of it. I will be back soon. Wonderful outdoor pool.

Room Tip: Some First level rooms have a patio. Very nice
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 26, 2013

I arrived late, midnight. The check-in was welcoming. the room was more marvelous than expected. I slept soundly. The room had a refrigerator and a coffee maker. The free breakfast was disappointing because the coffee machine dispensed what looked like light to medium brewed tea and was not satisfying.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 13, 2013

I use this place when we get visitors from out-of-town and we have no more room at our house. The beds are comfy, having two queens accommodates teenage visitors easily, especially our 6'5 grandson. It's close to the freeway, shopping and our house. Just breakfast is not that great, but there is a Starbucks nearby and it gives me a chance to invite them over for Grandma's favorite breakfast.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 31, 2013

This is our experience - the place has a superb location, close to the 880 freeway (easy access going north or south) close to everything you can think off (Mall, food, walmart within driving distance, all fast food chains within driving distance, even walking distance to one of the restaurants. Has a gas station right next to it.) Location wise - I give it the highest mark. I also felt safe within the area. Feels to be away from crime but I dont know the place that well. From the outside (building) looks descent and not run-down. We stayed on a non-smoking room with double queen beds for 2 adults and a child. Free wifi, breakfast, access to facilities - pool, gym.
I assume the non-smoking rooms really does make a difference compared to the smoking rooms if there are any (I did not bother to ask). Our room is big, smells ok, looks clean, has a tv and all the stuff that is mentioned in the their website. However, when we walk in (on the very first day - one of the bulb on the lamp was broken - I called the front desk and they replaced it in a timely manner. It is not a 5 star hotel so dont expect it to be. The ceiling in the room is the pop-corn type - I did not see any spider-webs. The bed sheets and pillows are clean (atleast the most inner ones, I dont think they wash the comforter, only the sheets that touches your body. Our room was not noisy, I had a good sleep depending on schedule.No cockroaches that I found. The room was presentable when we got in.

Room Tip: for non-smokers - get a double queen bed non-smoking room. Rooms on east side tend to be more quiete...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Excellent Staff, moderately priced for the Bay Area. Treated well by staff at check in and check out. Room was clean and updated and furniture was in good repair. Got an upgrade because of my status with Best Western.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fremont
Fremont Marriott Silicon Valley
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Fremont Milpitas Central
Hampton Inn Fremont
Hampton Inn Fremont
#3 of 19 in Fremont

Been to Best Western Plus Garden Court Inn? Share your experiences!