“China Chili or China Torture?”
Review of China Chili Restaurant - CLOSED

Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
CALIFORNIA
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“China Chili or China Torture?”
Reviewed March 19, 2009

After reading an article on the so-called China Chili restaurant and its great reviews, I was eager to try it out.
This was our first time eating at China Chili (China Torture is what I prefer to call it), and will probably be the last. We ordered the Mongolian beef, sautéed sliced beef with onions on crispy noodle. The beef was over seasoned and the onions over powered the dish. The paper thin sliced beef was tender due to meat tenderizer. It was better than the other dish (Eggplant sautéed with garlic sauce). It was suppose to be a traditional dish that any children from China can cook with their eyes closed, but it turned out that was not the case. The dish itself was saturated with OIL and chili pepper on top of the overcooked eggplant.
I guessed I had too much expectation in finding a decent Chinese restaurant, or maybe the chef had an off day…Yeah right. If this is what they (China Chili) called authentic Chinese food, pass me a bag of Ramen noodle and some hot water please.
As for the service, it was excellent. The waiter checked on us often. The amount of space between tables was good so diners get some privacy. Speaking of table, one thing that came to mind – the table cloth had a foul odor that place the restaurant’s cleanliness to question. I pondered on this as I rushed myself to consume what I can and leave in a hurry before it asphyxiates me.
All in all, this place should be place on the AVOID list. As I was writing this review, someone approached me and said Ratatouille. This brought a grin to my face. Not “anyone can cook.”

1 Thank sad_tears11

Portland OR area
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Consistently Excellent ******”
Reviewed March 7, 2009

Been coming here for years, always an elegant atmosphere, great food, good service. Maybe a little pricey to some, but considering what you get, a good value!

1 Thank hardybing
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Excellent walnut prawns...”
Reviewed March 3, 2009

Excellent walnut prawns. Linen tablecloths. Good food.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
CA
“My favorite CA Chinese restaurant”
Reviewed August 13, 2008

My husband and I have been coming here for years on special occasions. Having come to CA from the East coast in the 80's we were surprised at how different the styles of West coast and East coast Chinese food were. China Chili is consistently good in service and food and they are the only Chinese restaurant I have been to in CA that serves that well known east coast chinese appetizer, shrimp toast. Love it. You can also get steamed pork buns anytime here. The chefs specialty menu is lovely. This is not a super cheap restaurant for lunch or dinner and portions are not huge. If that is what you want go to Panda Express or Chef Chows. But if you want a nice restaurant with a romantic ambience where you can be casual or very dressy and the food is good and elegant, this is it. The music, standards from the player piano in the background at a reasonable volume, is lovely too.

1 Thank trvldgs
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“The food is not authentic & is greasy. The last 2 times that I went, my stomach reacted to the greasy food. I...”
Reviewed July 11, 2008

The food is not authentic & is greasy. The last 2 times that I went, my stomach reacted to the greasy food. I won't be going back again.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook