“California History”

Old Mission San Jose
Ranked #7 of 30 things to do in Fremont
Reviewed January 13, 2013

One of the California Missions. Great for field trips as well as family day trips. Located in Mission San Jose; Fremont. The grounds and church properties are in good condition waiting for your visit..enjoy!

All reviews
"sanctuary"
in 3 reviews
"overview"

Reviewed November 28, 2012

It is very beautiful inside and I imagine it is much like the original mission church would have been. A great place for concerts and weddings. And be sure to see the museum and the gardens.

Reviewed August 19, 2012

I am not a catholic anymore, but I go here because these are the roots of California's spiritual beginnings. I enjoy the history lessons, the memorabilia that are on display and the sense of awe in the chapels. Love of God brought men across the oceans to bring a message and a different way of life to California. No, it did not work out for the natives, but we can not change that, can we? I use the missions as resting places in my travels, I stop. I thank God for Jesus, I appreciate the art and architecture and then I go back to the highways and campgrounds, refreshed.

Reviewed July 26, 2012

Mission San Jose founded in 1797 is located in the town of Fremont and is one of the 21 California missions located primarily along the coast of California. The mission houses a small but interesting museum filled with artifacts originally used at the mission. In order to visit the museum you must go through the gift shop and enter towards the back. When we visited, there was no entrance fee but a donation box is located in the gift shop. Tips: If you go on a weekend be prepared that the mission church may be closed due to weddings-this goes for all the operational missions. However if you want to wait till the wedding service is over, the church opens right back up. At the time of our visit, masses were held at 8am on weekdays and the museum was open daily from 10am-5pm with the exception of major holidays. If you get hungry, you can follow Mission Blvd into the "main" part of town or I highly recommend Cheese Tasters across the street and down about a block or so. They are a local italian deli serving all kinds of delicious sandwiches and pasta salads made fresh. There isn't a lot of seating inside and the air conditioning is minimal, but the sandwiches are so worth it-or you can get it to go.

1  Thank MGD67