“What a surprise”
Review of The Vine - CLOSED

The Vine
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: This used to be the site of the Essanay Cafe.
Reviewed April 8, 2013

My husband and I stumbled into this place, and we were completely charmed. The indoor dinning room is smaller and comfortable and very cozy. Out back is a very cool and eclectic bar and dinning area. There is a delightful fire pit surrounded by comfortable chairs. It's the perfect place to hang out and enjoy and great glass of wine and a delightful dish. We found the service to be great while sitting at the bar and chatting with the bartender. We enjoyed a late lunch of fresh and delicious appetizers and shared a salad. Worth the drive. Make a day of this charming restaurant and town of Niles.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

I wanted to eat at The Vine after reading about it on Yelp, so I asked my sweetie to take me there. We arrived Sunday at 3:50 PM. The sign outside said that they would begin dinner service at 4:00 PM. We asked if we could have a drink while we waited. The wait person said we could and directed us to the patio. We started to sit at a table when another wait person told us that dinner service would start until 4:30. My spouse said we would wait and that they should correct their sign outside. When we left my spouse told me that one of our customers indicated that The Vine really only wanted young people to drink there (we're an older couple). That's kind of what some of the Yelp writers indicated, too, though the ones who ate gave The Vine a good rating. In any case, we did not stay, so we did not eat. I'd say that the staff treated us rudely and I wouldn't recommend The Vine to any older people for sure. Maybe it was just us.

4  Thank declectic
Reviewed February 9, 2013

The vine isn't trying to be anything other than what it is - non-pretentious and classy. Fine cuisine without the fine dining. We went today, for a late breakfast. I ordered the grilled chicken, and my wife ordered the salmon and BLT sandwich, along with a glass each of the petit syrah. I must say, the salmon and BLT sandwich is simply to die for. The contrast of salmon and bacon was quite intriguing, and that's definitely what I'll have the next time. The view of the mountains make this a near perfect restaurant to visit every weekend.

Reviewed November 11, 2012

On a whim my friends and I stopped in for lunch and were delighted with our meal. Two of us tried the specials of the day while the last member of the group ordered direct from the menu. No disappointments here at all . . . loved everything and we continued to rave about it throughout the rest of the day. The mixed green salad was filled with delightful surprises that made my tastebuds sing. If you get a chance to visit the Historic Niles District of Fremont add The Vine to you list of "must dos" . . . you won't regret it.

Reviewed September 19, 2012

My wife had gone there previously with a friend and they had good meals. We went back last weekend as couples, and I think the place needs some work. It was early Saturday evening, and they were already out of mussels that appeared in two places on their menu. They were going to put extra crab leg in our pasta to make up for it, but it was difficult to find any crab leg to begin with. The food was also salty.