“A wonderful place to let go and relax”

Osmosis Day Spa Sanctuary
Ranked #1 of 5 things to do in Freestone
More attraction details
Owner description: Osmosis is a one of a kind spa retreat in the Northern California town of Freestone, on the historic Bohemian Highway just minutes from the Pacific coast. Nestled in countryside rich with world-class wineries, gourmet restaurants, artisan cheese makers, nature enthusiasts and so much more, this rejuvenation destination is central to everything Sonoma County has to offer. Osmosis features the unique Cedar Enzyme Bath deep-heat treatment, expert massage and a myriad of therapeutic facials using only the purest of natural ingredients. Before or after treatments, guests are welcome to enjoy the extensive meditation garden, famous for its authentic Japanese landscaping, beautiful pond and resplendent plant-life. Osmosis is also known for their wonderful spa boutique filled with hand-picked treasures, locally sourced as often as possible, and with the intention of supporting your lifestyle of wellness. As a founding member of the Green Spa Network, Osmosis strives to provide a total vitality center to the community, while maintaining a small carbon footprint and making ecologically sound choices.
Reviewed September 2, 2013

I have been to Osmosis a few times over the past several years, most recently August 31, 2013. I also visited in August of 2012. I really love this place. I usually do the enzyme bath and a massage in the pagodas by the creek. Recently they have added the "Field of Hammocks" which I also really enjoy now. The staff and service has always been timely, attentive and respectful. The grounds are beautiful. Everything is designed to to provide a peaceful, meditative environment.

The enzyme baths are a wonderful experience. You are escorted into a room with a view of a garden. You climb into a something that looks sort of like a raised plant bed that is full of their mix of soft natural fine sawdust like material. This naturally ferments and generates heat without and outside heat source.They dig out a little space for you to lie down and then cover your entire body up to you neck. It is like being buried in the warm sand at the beach when you were a kid only with lighter hotter sawdust-like material. You stay in the the bath for about 20 minutes or so. It is too hot to stay longer than that. The material forms to your body and you clean out your skin as you perspire. The attendant come in every few minutes to give you sips of cold water and to place cold wet rags on your face and brow. For me, it is just a wonderful relaxing experience.

You can pay extra to have your massage in the pagodas by the creek which I recommend. You can hear the wind in the trees, the birds,and the leaves falling gently on the roof of the pagoda. They have thrown in time in the hammock garden as part of specials the last two times I went. It is a nice way to finish the day.

The gardens and flowers arrangements throughout the property are really beautiful. Osmosis is a great splurge on a vacation or a once in a while treat for locals. I always feel happy, relaxed and energized at the end of the experience.

All reviews
"massage therapist"
"min massage"
"step outside"
in 2 reviews
"highly recommend this spa"
"private room"
in 3 reviews
"soothing music"
"spa package"

Reviewed August 15, 2013

We wanted to love it but we just kinda liked it. First of all, I'll say that our services were good and our providers were friendly. My wife and I did cedar baths and massages. We started in a private tea room where our bath provider served us some tea and prepared our tub. We sipped and waited for a while until she returned for us. Then, into a large tub entirely filled with hot cedar we went. (I wasn't really sure what to expect. I had guessed that it would be a water tub with a layer of cedar, but I was very wrong!) We spent 20 minutes "sweating out the bad" into soft wood and then we brushed it off and showered in preparation for our massages. The showers took a while because wood chips were everywhere! Then we sat on a little cushioned bench and waited for about 15 minutes for our masseuses to appear. Seemed like a long time. When my wife's masseuse came out (not quite looking the part - no big deal but it did seem odd) she told me that I was waiting in the wrong spot (who knew?). Shortly thereafter my masseuse found me and I had a very nice firm massage. My wife said her massage was relaxing, but she didn't quite rave about it. All in all, I don't regret doing it but I wouldn't do it again. I guess I expected to be wowed somehow and I wasn't.

Reviewed August 10, 2013

I keep reminiscing about this special place and try to come back at least once a year. I have never done the cedar enzyme bath but I've had massages (I prefer the pagoda).

As others have said, this is not your posh, pampering spa. It is more a place of healing and rejuvenation. The beauty of the surrounding nature and the expertise of the staff make this a one of a kind place.

This time I had the 'Long Lunch Special'. The massage was in the pagoda and I requested Janice. She is very intuitive and worked on the parts of my body that really needed help. After the massage and some time in the Meditation Garden, I had a session in the hammock with the music and headphones. It was the perfect thing to do after a relaxing massage and a good transition to the lunch, which was served at a little table along the creek.

I cannot think of anything negative to say about Osmosis...I highly recommend it and would suggest that you come early and stay late!!

Reviewed July 30, 2013

I've visited the Osmosis Spa several times over the years and it just keeps getting better. I love the cedar enzyme bath, it's the most relaxing experience I've ever had. I've also had the best lymphatic drainage of my life at the spa. The additional of new gardens and activities over the years has just made it better and better. I highly recommend it as part of a trip to Sonoma or its own destination experience.