“Condo-like suite, great for family in quiet area near the beach”

Residence Inn Huntington Beach Fountain Valley
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Fountain Valley
Reviewed April 10, 2014 via mobile

If you're looking for a clean, modern and comfortable fully-loaded suite that's in a quiet residential area near the beach then this hotel is a great choice. There is an outdoor pool but we did not use. Also, they serve complimentary breakfast and snacks although the breakfast selection was mediocre and under portioned. Front desk staff was nice and there's minimal noise/activity within the hotel vicinity. My only complaint was that their so-called "sofa bed" is definitely not a bed. It was a tiny sofa with a thin layer of egg-carton shaped foam - something one would use to for packaging and not to sleep on. I didn't like how that was falsely advertised! We were a family of three and the third person had a very uncomfortable sleep experience. Also, the room was quite pricey but then it was summer time when we travelled. There are lots of restaurants around nth the nightlife was non-existence. The beaches were all really nice and only a 5-15 minutes drive from the hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013

Reviewed March 17, 2014

I usually try to stay at Marriott hotels, but the Residence Inn Huntington Beach-Fountain Valley really drove me away.

To be clear, this review is based on service, not on a stay at the hotel.

We were heading to Orange County for the day and needed a hotel room in the area. We had a small dog with us, so we needed a pet friendly hotel.

I called the hotel directly and asked if it was pet friendly. The reservation specialist said yes, and I booked a reservation for that night. We arrived at the hotel and went to check-in and were surprised to be handed a pet waiver that stated we would be charged $100 per stay for our dog. Well, we hadn't been informed of the fee when we reserved the room directly with the hotel, so it came as a bit of a surprise. Not to mention, $100 just for one night is outrageous.

I politely explained to the front desk clerk that we were not informed of the fee when we placed our reservation over the phone, even though I called the hotel directly. He stated that the reservations are handled through a central call center, as if that somehow means they can get away with not being upfront. He also mentioned that the $100 fee is on the website, which I never visited, since I placed my reservation with the hotel directly upon asking about its pet friendly status. He made no accommodations for us, and refused to allow me to speak to someone else about the fee. I truly believe this was an error on Marriott's part, not on mine, since I depended on the hotel to provide me with complete information.

We decided to take our business elsewhere. If you have a pet, I suggest driving 10 minutes to the Westin in Costa Mesa, where pets are accepted without a fee, and the hotel is much nicer, with better amenities.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ashley R
ArtA622, General Manager at Residence Inn Huntington Beach Fountain Valley, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2014

Dear Ashley R,

Thank you for sharing your comments about your recent experience at our hotel. I apologize that our pet policy and fee were not clearly communicated to you when you made your reservation.

I have shared your comments with my team on how we can improve communicating our services to all of our guests so that there are no perceived "hidden charges".

Reviewed February 18, 2014

Overall the facilities, interior, and location is very good. With free breakfast, swimming pool, and exercise room, very convenient for family traveling. Staffs are friendly as well.

One negative thing is that as these is no gated entrance, there was loud noisy after midnight, not sure it was from the teenage nearby or drunk people staying the hotel. It will be good to have some control.

Another thing is that it will be better if there is curtain can be closed at night to block some street lights.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Junster
ArtA622, General Manager at Residence Inn Huntington Beach Fountain Valley, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2014

Dear Junster,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel. I appreciate the positive comments about our staff service and overall amenities. I also thank you for giving me the opportunity to improve our handling of noisy visitors at night.

I'm not sure why your room may not have had the standard "blackout drapes", but I will be sure to communicate with the housekeeping team...My apologies!

We look forward to having you again during your next visit to Fountain Valley/Huntington Beach!

Reviewed February 15, 2014

Residence Inns come in a variety of flavours - some are apartment style where all rooms are in one building, others have four, six or eight suites in one building, with two or four suites accessed by one stairwell like this hotel. Warning - No elevators! Vaulted ceilings give this suite a nice touch with central living area quite large and inviting. Both bedrooms are cozy with a good queen bed but not super comfortable like other Marriott properties. Pool looked ok but we didn't use it. Close enough drive to Disney but still a ways away. Close to John Wayne airport. Breakfast was good but small room compared to size of hotel. I would not choose to stay here again.

Room Tip: Warning - No elevators!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
ArtA622, General Manager at Residence Inn Huntington Beach Fountain Valley, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2014

Dear yvrtravelguy,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about our hotel. It allows us to deliver consistently on our strengths and opportunity to work on development trends.

I appreciate your loyalty to the Marriott brands, and I hope that we can fully satisfy your expectations in the future.

Reviewed February 13, 2014

I relocated from Texas and had to stay at the Residence Inn for a few days before my apartment was ready. It had everything to offer to make one's stay comfortable. The property and the rooms were very clean, and the internet to do work worked well. I also thought the free breakfast every morning was a great bonus!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
ArtA622, General Manager at Residence Inn Huntington Beach Fountain Valley, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2014

Dear 7008LoveToTravel,

Welcome to Fountain Valley!!!

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive feedback about your stay at our hotel. I am happy to hear that we met your expectations.

Reviewed February 10, 2014 via mobile

I am all for writing my positive experiences and it's taken me a couple weeks and much thought to write about this. Since October my hubby and I have wanted a night out. With 3 kids that just doesn't happen often. My son got us a room in which he booked for a surprise for us. We were so looking forward to doing nothing but grabbing takeout and enjoying alone time in a beautiful Marriott room. When we approached the check in associate by the name of Spencer he was quick to respond that the reservation we had was a rate for employees only. He then responded he had no room for a cheaper rate except for 129.00. My husband and I came with very little money as we drove 50 miles to stay there. When we got turned away I was so sad my heart ached. Here we had take out, wine goodies for nothing. We drove home in 2 hour traffic and sobbed. Just more disappointed because we were both counting down the days for a quick little romantic weekend. Just thought someone should know. Didn't seem right or fair. The associate seemed cold with no heart. I felt that the least he could have done is showed some compassion. I am done venting now and I feel better just writing this review. Next time I will think twice on staying here.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank Dana H
ArtA622, General Manager at Residence Inn Huntington Beach Fountain Valley, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2014

Dear Dana H,

Thank you for sharing your feedback...

I regret that we were not able to accommodate you at the discounted rate that you were expecting. Just to clarify, the "Marriott Associate Holiday" rate that your reservation was set up for applied to Marriott associates only. This is a privelege offered to all Marriott associates to enjoy during the holidays, and it is clearly stated that only Marriott associates can avail of this discounted rate.

I apologize if we or the Marriott associate you are associated with did not clearly explain this to you prior to check-in. Please feel free to contact me should you have further questions.

Reviewed January 28, 2014

This is the first time I have stayed in a 'residence' inn and I was pleasantly surprised. Our two bedroom suite was very clean and spacious, although I would have preferred more room in the dining/sitting area and less in the bedrooms. There were enough dishes and pots for four, with a note to call the front desk should anything more be required.

The staff was wonderful; check-in was quick and easy. We were able to get into our room early - which was nice after a long day's drive. I contacted the desk three times with questions and requests and each time, the response was polite, cheerful and quick.

The outdoor sitting area with bbq was an unexpected treat. A gentle fountain, lots of comfortable chairs and umbrellas for shade gave a nice area for relaxing. While we did not use the pool, hot tub or basketball area, we saw others doing so.

Room Tip: This hotel is right off the freeway, so if traffic noise might be an issue for you, request a room o...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
ArtA622, General Manager at Residence Inn Huntington Beach Fountain Valley, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2014

Dear gail_2616,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of your stay at our hotel. The team and I take great pride in delivering the services and products that Marriott is known for.

I am happy that we made a good first impression on your first time with the Residence Inn by Marriott. May you have many more great experiences with our brand.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Fountain Valley
Ayres Hotel Fountain Valley/Huntington Beach
Courtyard Huntington Beach Fountain Valley
SpringHill Suites Huntington Beach Orange County
SpringHill Suites Huntington Bea...
#9 of 21 in Huntington Beach
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach R...
#1 of 21 in Huntington Beach
Comfort Suites Huntington Beach
Comfort Suites Huntington Beach
#13 of 21 in Huntington Beach
Best Western Surf City
Best Western Surf City
#6 of 21 in Huntington Beach

Been to Residence Inn Huntington Beach Fountain Valley? Share your experiences!