“met my expectations”

Crowne Plaza Foster City - San Mateo
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Foster City
Reviewed August 31, 2009

My 8 yr old and I stayed here for a weekend while visiting family in the area. Location was nice - appreciated the (complimentary) airport and mall shuttle and staff was all friendly and helpful. Room was clean but had an odd odor the 2nd day on (smoky??). Our room was at the end of the hall on I-92 side of the top floor (6th) so no noise whatsoever from the 'dance club' or other rooms, and noise from the highway was what I'd expect - we left windows closed at night, cracked them open in the morning.

Couldn't get the internet to work in my room, but the business center is free of charge to use their computers and printer. Pool and hottub was great for my 8 yr old - but as another poster mentioned, the pool area is right IN the main lobby with just glass between you and them. Felt a bit like otters at the aquarium. Be sure you bring a cover-up if you feel self-conscious!

Breakfast buffet was plentiful and delicious. 2 of the 3 days I wasn't charged a kids' buffet price so that was a perk.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family

Reviewed July 16, 2009

During October 2008 I stayed at the Crowne Plaza Hotel for almost a week because my apartment was being repaired. The hotel accommodations are nice and I had no complaints about the room. However, during the week I was informed that my car had been broken into in the hotel lot during the early hours of the morning. A suitcase full of my personal belongings were stolen (all my clothes) and my window was broken. I called the Foster City police and when the officer arrived, he told me that the hotel had an ongoing problem with break-ins and that the police were always responding to calls there! The hotel is right next to the freeway on-ramp and has NO protection for its lots. After my car was broken into I noticed that there was no security guards, no warning signs, and no cameras in the lot. No one warned me of the break in problem when i checked in, otherwise I obviously wouldn't have parked there. The hotel has a huge parking lot the runs the extent of the hotel and all of the entrance/exits are totally open and not protected to prevent intruders. In fact, there isn't even a fence around the parking lot.

This alone was enough to have me upset with the hotel but then, while dealing with my car, a Crowne Plaza employee came over and told me that his car had been broken into 2 weeks before and that it had happened before while he was at work. Unbelievable! Thinking the management would be of help, I tried to speak to the front desk, manager on duty, and then even the general manager. Each employee was incredibly unhelpful and rude. In fact, the general manager even tried to tell me that the break in was my fault and they had no responsibility in the matter. I explained that the parking was included in the price of my room and asked whether they would discount my stay or offer me some other sort of compensation since I'd just had over $1,000 worth of my personal items stolen and it ended up costing me over $500 to fix my window, but was still denied any assistance.

After returning from my stay at the Crowne Plaza I attempted to resolve this situation numerous times. I contacted Crowne Plaza's insurance agent a few times in an attempt to resolve the matter but never even got a call back. It's been almost a year and I have never been contacted by anyone at Crowne Plaza to resolve the matter. I am now getting ready to go to small claims court because the hotel refuses to accommodate me in any way.

Fun stay huh?

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank missmybelongings
Reviewed June 25, 2009

I'm staying in the hotel right now. I'd rather be asleep than posting this review, but I can't because this hotel thinks it's a good idea to have a club on site. The club plays very loud music on Thursdays and Fridays between 9pm and midnight. Not recommended for the business traveler.

I called the front desk to ask how long the noise would be going on, and to their credit, the manager called me back and offered me a different room. The downside to this offer was the room is in a different building. I'd rather not pack up my room and move to a new building at 10pm the night before an important business meeting.

Sadly, if it weren't for the club, I would rate this hotel pretty well. The room is descent for the price. The bed is a little hard, but within acceptable ranges of hotel rooms. There are three restaurants on the premise. The sushi bar is especially good. The interior courtyard has a rather fetching 2 story water fall with live fish swimming in streams throughout the main floor.

Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed February 3, 2009

I stayed at the CP during the last week in January. Selected this hotel for two reasons - it is close to the office, and had leisure facilites (pool & gym).

The room I was assigned, 504, was on the non-smoking floor. Good size, all the amenities, but what must have been the noisiest air-conditioning unit I've ever heard. Unfortunately it was necessary to have it on, as the room was like an oven most of the time! Airline ear-plugs came into full use. However, there was one advantage of having the aircon racket - it drowned out the noise of I92 right outside. Although the window was double-glazed, it was secondary double glazing, and as a result the road noise reverberarted between the two sets of windows. I know Harley Davidsons are noisy, but whenever one went past, it felt like it was in the room! Other than that, the room had everything you needed.

Leisure...well, there is a small pool, and as long as you don't mind being on full view, I guess it's OK. It's right in the main atrium, between the front desk, a bar, a restaurant and the breakfast room, so you are absolutely on show the whole time.

The gym was a real disappointment - instead of the treadmills and exercise bikes advertised, there were 4 cross-trainers and a multigym - that was it.

Breakfast is good; the selection was very good. Business facilities at the hotel are also excellent if you are thinking of having a meeting there, and there are good restaurants on site, with more in the surrounding area.

So, depending on what you want, it's pretty good. However, if you want a good night's sleep, make sure you get a room on the opposite side of the hotel from I92!

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed January 28, 2009

This is the 2nd time I have stayed at this hotel and I'm always very satisfied with my stay. The front desk people are always pleasant and helpful. The rooms are wonderful (clean, very pleasing with comfortable beds and "good sleep" amenities), free business center for guests, indoor pool. The rates are always very good if you use the entertainment book.

I can't wait to stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed January 26, 2009

I stayed at the Crown Plaza Hotel in Foster City in January 2009.

From the SFO airport you can take a shuttle bus directly to the hotel. It takes about 10 minutes, but it's a bit hard to find. You need to ask the information desk at the airport to point you to the right direction. Make sure you say Foster City, because there are several Crown Plaza's in the vicinity.

The hotel is very nice and located in a quite area. Just 2 minutes walk from the hotel there is a huge shopping complex complete with Target, Marshall’s, Staples, along with many restaurants. The area is quite safe and stores are open a bit later. The hotel also offers a complementary shuttle which runs every hour to one of the other main galleria malls.

The staff were very friendly and warm, and the room was very nice and spacious. If you are there on business, there a main floor bar which has different events every night.

The room service was over priced. For example a roast beef sandwich with a soda will run you $20 as there is a room service charge to the bill. It is better to eat out or go down to one of the restaurants.

This is a great hotel to stay for business and/or a short stay. Outside of the outlet malls there isn't much to do here if you don't have a car.

The business center would use some improvement, there are only 3 people that can be in there at once, and it reminded me of Dilbert with the cramped workspace.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed September 26, 2008

My experience of American hotels is that they are loveless. There is no charm and no joy in staying in them (and where charm is supplied it is sugar sweet and over the top). To this extent the Crowne Plaza is above average. The rooms, in the executive wing, are a good size and pleasantly decorated. They also supply free Wifi (a must for all modern hotels). Bathrooms not so lovely but adequate. Also access to the hotel is good and they supply a shuttle bus to and from the airport.

The downside is that things keep falling off! I had to change rooms three times when I arrived because things weren't working and then ring reception to get a number of other things fixed during my week stay. The staff are odd. In most hotels the guest takes priority, not here, and you will often find the staff pushing in front of you at breakfast or as you are trying to get through a door or into the lift (bizarre!). But my biggest criticisms is saved for the food. Really awful and I got a dodgy tum after eating there one day (the only meals I had that day were at the hotel). But generally the coffee at breakfast is shocking and the food generally is very sub standard.

Eat out and you will enjoy this hotel

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
Hyatt Regency San Francisco Airport - Burlingame
Pullman San Francisco Bay
Pullman San Francisco Bay
#1 of 17 in Redwood City

Been to Crowne Plaza Foster City - San Mateo? Share your experiences!