“Fine but nothing to write home about”

Crowne Plaza Foster City - San Mateo
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Foster City
Pleasanton, California
“Fine but nothing to write home about”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I was upgraded to the excecutive tower two seperate nights. One night there was a fridge, computer, and extra toiletries. The other night was just extra toiletries.

The bathroom is a little dated and I don't like that the door swings all the way to the shower. But the water pressure is strong and the hot water gets really hot, fast.

The room temperature was hard to get right both nights. The first night there was a wall thermostat and the one on the actual under the window unit. Had to figure out the wall thermostat did nothing. The room was really warm. The second night only the window unit had a thermostat to adjust. Still warm but at least the fan was not loud.

Not much to do late night, but at least it is walking distance to Ridgepointe outdoor mall.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
CrownePlazaFC, Manager at Crowne Plaza Foster City - San Mateo, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear katy m,

Thank you for your review. Your comments with the shower and room temperature have been taken into account by our hotel departments. This enables us to improve on our future guests' stays. We ensure you that if you choose to stay with us again, these problems will be avoided.

Crowne Plaza Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
New York
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Very good location (if you do not want to be directly downtown San Francisco.) You are approximately 20 to 25 minutes from downtown San Francisco. The hotel has several restaurants, offers room service (food was very good); comfortable bed, flat-screen TV, mid-size bathroom and mini refrigerator. All amenities are above average. Free ample parking, free wi-fi (speedy), and within two to three blocks around the hotel, there are many other restaurants and places to shop. I would say that having a vehicle is a must although a shuttle is available to take guests to San Francisco International Airport. Would definitely recommend this hotel to friends and family who will be visiting the area.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear aberdeen2009,

Thank you for your review. We are indeed proud to offer a wide range of upscale amenities to our guests. In addition to the complimentary shuttle to and from the San Francisco Airport, we also offer a Hertz Car Rental on site for guests' convenience. Thank you for your future recommendations and we hope to serve you again soon!

San Bruno, California
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed in a king room. No views from this hotel. On the bathroom ceiling the paint had peeled and lots of bubbles where it was going to peel even more. Very slippery tiles on bathroom floor when wet. Room was clean.

• Stayed February 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Foster City - San Mateo, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Dear pamandron,

Thank you for your feedback. Guest comfort and satisfaction are of the utmost concern to us and our hotel is committed to making every possible effort to provide comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. I'm sorry for any inconvenience or discomfort you may have experienced in our bathroom. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Lera P
Evanston, Illinois
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Not because the room was missing basic amenities like bottled water, toothbrush and toothpaste... not because the phone was broken (with handset, I was heard but couldn't hear; in speaker mode, I could hear but not be heard) and I got yelled at by the guest services operator for calling her repeatedly... not because it's my first time being told by hotel staff to go down to the front desk to pick up the amenities that should have been in the room in the first place.

Not because the hotel was a depressing environment to arrive at late at night (dark, quiet, and no sign of civilization apart from the front desk person) after a long journey, the bedcovers were stained (ugh), and the view from the "window" (why even bother with windows???) was the depressingly dark lobby.

But because someone had the genius idea to combine the A/C with energy-saving motion detector technology! I appreciate the thought behind energy-saving innovation. But - in a room designated for sleep?! Well, I'm sorry, but I am motionless when I sleep. That does not mean I am not there. Because of my tinnitus, the powering off of the A/C wakes me up instantly. I got up several times over the course of the night to do a little dance to get the A/C back on. Sounds like fun? Trust me, uninterrupted sleep is way better. The same thing happened with the bathroom light, which I normally leave on in hotel rooms so that I can find my way to the bathroom in the middle of the night if I have to go. It turned off by itself and when the A/C next woke me up I found myself in pitch darkness, not a pleasant feeling when alone in a strange place.

The only bright spark was Juan at the front desk, who promptly gave me what I needed and offered some much needed sympathies for my plight.

(Note: I did not stay on the business side. I'm guessing it's probably newer, nicer and they treat you better over there. And maybe, hopefully, no genius energy-saving technology that assumes you're not there.)

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Foster City - San Mateo, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Dear Nitpicker011,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback regarding your stay with us. We give the utmost importance to our guest comments as they help us improve, and continually provide the best guest experience possible. I am sorry our hotel did not live up to your expectations and regret you were not satisfied with the conditions of the room you received. Though we would prefer you had a better experience at our hotel, we would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and we hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Connie D

Travelers are raving about these Foster City hotels

Humble, Texas
Reviewed February 21, 2013

I stayed here on a recent business trip where I did not have a rental car and relied on taxis to get me around. That meant I had to eat the majority of my meals at the hotel. The food was excellent, and best of all, reasonable for a San Francisco area hotel. The indoor pool and fitness center were both top notch. Will stay here again in a minute!

Room Tip: I was told by a very nice receptionist that I should avoid rooms over the Bistro on a Friday and Sat...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
London
Reviewed February 20, 2013

This isn't a bad hotel by any means, and the rooms are comfortable enough for what they are. The staff at the check-in desk were friendly, and I had no complaints with them. However, given the price, I did think it could have offered more in the way of facilities.

First, the rooms are 'standard' with no extra features to get excited about. The wifi connection was very slow, and although there was a paid-for internet upgrade option it was far too expensive to warrant paying it for the three weeks I stayed. The main foyer often smelt quite "cheesey", presumably from the pizzas being cooked in the bar. This was quite off-putting on coming back in the evenings after work. The swimming pool is really just a small paddling pool, and with no changing rooms either. The gym is quite good, but on the small side given the number of rooms in the hotel. The laundry facilities were good enough, but they only take quarters and the front desk often didn't have any quarters available. The bar and restaurant were quite good, and the Japanese restaurant worth a visit.

All in all, a reasonable place to stay, but nothing special and not somewhere I would willingly choose to stay again, for the money.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Foster City - San Mateo, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Dear ChiTheCynic,

Ferdinand G
Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

I spent the night there last night (notice I didn't say,"slept there") because of my job. New hotel to my airline,crew. my room was straight above the entrance and it was a Harley riding night! it wasnt til around 3 a.m. after the club downstairs closed that the hallways and driveways quieted down.
The waterfall in the main entrance is a nice touch, but nowhere to sit,and enjoy it as it is right next to the elevators.
hotel,lobby smelled of fish and stale water.
to add insult to,injury, our crew members were deemed not dressed up enough to even get into the club--the only thing open!--to get something to eat, so were made to sit outside the club at another table, like second class citizens.
all in all, the last place I would return to

Stayed February 2013
1 Thank colleen g
CrownePlazaFC, Manager at Crowne Plaza Foster City - San Mateo, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Dear Colleen G,
Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at our hotel. We are sorry to hear about your inconveniences. While many of our guests enjoy the lively environment of our night club, we apologize that the traffic noise disturbed your overnight stay. It is correct that we enforce a dress code at our night club and try to communicate that fact with all our business partners, including airlines. We are glad our Manager on Duty was still able to provide you with a space at the restaurant, but apologize it was not up to your expectations. We sure hope we can be of better service during your next visit.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Foster City
Courtyard San Mateo Foster City
Hilton Garden Inn San Mateo
Residence Inn San Francisco Airport/San Mateo
San Mateo Marriott San Francisco Airport
Best Western Coyote Point Inn
Holiday Inn San Mateo-San Francisco SFO

Been to Crowne Plaza Foster City - San Mateo? Share your experiences!