“Pleasant stay”

Crowne Plaza Foster City - San Mateo
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Foster City
Reviewed June 15, 2012

We stayed at this hotel after a missed connection on American Airlines, who provided us an overnight room with breakfast at Crowne Plaza Foster City. Since we arrived past midnight, there was no hotel shuttle service so we had to take a taxi from SFO airport for $35. Check-in at the hotel was quick and we were in our room within minutes. Room was well appointed and we slept well.

We had a breakfast voucher provided by AA, so we decided to eat at the restaurant on the first floor by the lobby. Servers were very attentive and polite. We did not realize that the 'custom omelette station' was not part of the Continental Breakfast ($10) order, but our server (sorry, we did not get his name) was very understanding and took that extra $6 charge off our ticket without any fuss.

We took the free shuttle from the hotel to SFO airport at 11am as scheduled, and the driver was very friendly. I would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Top floors away from the bars might be a better choice if trying to sleep.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Crowne Plaza Foster City - San Mateo

Reviewed June 7, 2012

I've been to quite a few hotels in my life and everytime I get checked in staff is courteous, but in this hotel, that was quite a joke.

First of all I stood at the front desk and no one recognized me because they were huddled on one computer, figured they were busy doing something. Finally one of the ladies looks up and says she'll help me on another terminal. She never once apologized for my waiting, but then again how would she know I was standing there if they weren't looking up? Then throughout the process of checking in, she didn't talk to me just asked for my credit card and ID and then handed me the keys and mumbled something about internet, figured the girl was unfriendly so I didn't ask to repeat. As I grab my things I walk towards some ballrooms and realize I have no idea where my room is, as I am walking back I see them once again huddled over one computer. As I get closer, I see they are on facebook..I ask where the elevators are and they just say, "right over there." So I turn around and I hear her snicker something to the other girl, if it was about me then she had some guts to do so.

The lobby was nice, rooms were decent.

I decided to go to the bar after a long day. As I am passing the front desk I hear the same girl who checked me in curse and say the N word. That's such an offense word! I am surprised a company so big would hire such an awful staff. She didn't even care that there were pepole in the lobby. I mean wow. I am surprised management would hire such a rude, unfriendly, inconsiderate person.

Never ever will I stay here again. NEVER!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank DeeeeeeeThomas
CrownePlazaFC, Manager at Crowne Plaza Foster City - San Mateo, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2012

Dear DeeeeeeeThomas,
Thank you for staying at our hotel. I would like to take this opportunity to ensure you that we take your comments very seriously. I sent you a private message in an effort to obtain more information about your recent stay. We strive to provide a welcoming & hospitable environment for all our guests. We know you have many hotels to choose from and appreciate your business.
Assistant General Manager
Crowne Plaza Foster City - San Mateo

Reviewed June 4, 2012

I should start by saying that I visit the Crowne Plaza in Foster City quite often for business so the chances of having a bad experience are increased.

More times than not I have had to switch rooms at least once due to noise, cleanliness, & room temperature. On the plus side, the hotel staff are very accommodating and willing.

Noise: I've found that the rooms that do not face the atrium have a lot of road noise. Also, try to avoid any connecting rooms as you can hear nearly EVERYTHING.

Cleanliness: this is not always an issue but I like to keep an eye out.

Temperature: I read on another review that they had an issue with the temperature gauge and have noticed this to be quite common as of recent.

Overall, the hotel really needs to be updated.

Room Tip: Request a room that does not have an outward facing window and avoid connected rooms
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank emeness
Reviewed May 29, 2012

We stayed 1 night at this Hotel and I must say that I was impressed. I want to go ahead and just say why I did not give this place a 5 so we can get to the good stuff.

1. The thermastat was not working so it was rather chilly in our room.
2. The walls are a bit thin so it was very easy to hear conversations in the rooms next to us.

Those 2 things could be easily looked past given we did not complain about the thermastat, so the Hotel was unaware and the thin walls, well, sometimes those are the norm at most Hotels.

So, let's talk about all that was good at this place.

1. Check-In was quick and professional. We were accomidated without hassle when we asked to switch rooms at the last minute for no extra cost.
2. The Hotel grounds are well kept.
3. The Hotel lobby is beautiful.
4. The room we stayed in was not the biggest, but who cares when it is cleaned closed to perfection. I found no dust, no bed-bugs, and nothing nasty in the bathroom.
5. The price for a room, free admission to their in-house nightclub, and Sunday brunch is a steal!!
6. The food is fantastic and a plenty.

This Hotel was great.

Now, what I will say is if you are there for some type of convention or business stay and you need to get your sleep, I would NOT suggest you stay in the main building. The nightclub is in the main building and it does stay open until 1:30 to 2:00 am, and yes, no matter where your room is in that building, you will be able to hear the music. So stay in the Executive Tower for your rest.
But all others, who were there for a party like we were, go ahead and stay in the main building because you'll be at the club anyways and by the time you get ready to sleep you'll be walking out of the club.

Good times here!!!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Simone W
Reviewed May 25, 2012

After a missed connection and a horrible quick visit to the Crowne Plaza south SFO, arrived by cab near midnight. After saying UA voucher was for the other Crowne Plaza (which the other location refused to honor) the manager graciously took it and said he'd work it out between hotels. He was friendly, helpful and knew I needed rest! I would absolutely recommend this property for their hospitality alone.

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank RobSammy
CrownePlazaFC, Manager at Crowne Plaza Foster City - San Mateo, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2012

Hello RobSammy. Thank you very much for your review and kind words regarding our service. Our Manager on Duty and the rest of the staff always strive to provide excellent service to all guests. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and had a good night's rest and thank you again for your review!

Reviewed May 23, 2012

This is an off-the-shelf three and a half star hotel that pretends to be a four star in order to rake in the bucks from the local high tech firms. It's clearly outgrown its britches with lost of travelling businessmen doing small tech conventions.

Business travelers: If you get a room in the Executive tower, you get an internet-connected PC ready to go in the room, plus some area to spread out your own laptop. Bed's reasonably comfortable and there's free and fast Internet. Did I mention the internet? Traffic from the 92 can be a little noisy.

Vacationers: The lobby, apparently decorated by someone who thinks shag carpeting on walls is sexy, smells like a wet dog from 1978. Not a good place to renew your vows.

Would have given the place four stars, had the price been right. Nothing awful about the place, but not the best value for the money. Stay here if your business forces you to be local.

Room Tip: PROTIP: Get in the Executive tower.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank John B

Hello John B. Thank you for your review and observations about our hotel. We are in a location with high demand that requires competitive rates. We continue to work on improving any conditions guests may bring up in the duration of their stay and will look into the lobby odor, as suggested in your review. Thank you again for your review and for staying at our property!

Reviewed May 22, 2012

Stayed for 2 nights from 03 till 05 of May, I want to say that this is a good hotel, clean room, high speed internet, delicious breakfasts and a very nice tall handsome waiter in a restaurant :).

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends

Hello Lyali. Thank you for your review. We are very pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and your breakfast at our very own Cafe Florian. We hope to see you again soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Foster City
Courtyard San Mateo Foster City
Hilton Garden Inn San Mateo
Residence Inn San Francisco Airport/San Mateo
San Mateo Marriott San Francisco Airport
Best Western Coyote Point Inn
Extended Stay America - San Francisco - San Mateo - SFO

Been to Crowne Plaza Foster City - San Mateo? Share your experiences!