“Very authentic Cantonese Food”
Review of Cooking Papa

Cooking Papa
Order Online
Ranked #10 of 72 Restaurants in Foster City
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed June 8, 2019

This is a favorite of the whole family, we always go to Cooking Papa, when we feel like we need some authentic cantonese food + service. Don't expect them to roll out the red carpet for you, it is very traditional hong kong service - you get your food when you get it. ;) . But the food is great, so I can't complain.

Date of visit: May 2019

Reviewed June 7, 2019 via mobile

Looking for a dim sum experience we went for a quick lunch to Cooking Papa. We were Sent to a table next to the window with a beautiful view but “Sorry” removed 2 min later as a client had been offered that table. We ordered a dim sum appetizer ( the only one available) and two dishes. Clay pot Chicken and eggplant and meat chow fun. Chicken was loaded with fat skin and the beef chow fun was greasy. I cant say Service was excellent so I would only miss a nice view of Edgewater and my lunch partner in Foster City.

Date of visit: June 2019
Reviewed June 6, 2019

Quite a shock to see new menu, prices up about 30% and lots of new faces. Place was pretty empty at lunch (usually full) and now I know why.

Food was terrible! No relation to how it was for the last few years. Many items no longer on menu, a dessert "signature" dish was "not available".

Apparently new owner and ?new chefs (or maybe they kept the ones who couldn't cook?).

So sad - had 4 different dishes - ones with meat had huge bones and gristle and almost no meat (for $18), portions were ridiculously small (eggplant dish was about the size of a small eggplant for $16ish) - which I guess was alright since the food was mostly tasteless.

Used to be a go to place - now it's a "I won't be back" place :(

Date of visit: May 2019
1  Thank EstnetKualaLumpur
Reviewed December 11, 2018 via mobile

This restaurant is hidden from the street and parking lot, behind another bldg on a pond in Fister City. Nice view. Food is very good and there is a large menu with items not often seen on other menus. Mostly Chinese clientele so you know it's the real thing. Dumplings are great. You will not be disappointed.

Date of visit: December 2018
Reviewed October 8, 2018

I lived in HK for many years and missed good old fashion Cantonese food. Cooking Papa serves very typical Cantonese food. There are hits and misses but staples like congee, wonton noodle soup, egg over rice noodles, puffy donut to name a few are usually very good.

The restaurant is quite large and parking is easy. However, the restaurant is fairly nondescript and service can be questionable but it is very quick and efficient so coming from HK and having experienced basic service in the local restaurants, this does not bother me. The clientele are mostly Asians which is a good sign and it can fill up quickly for lunch and dinner so we tend to show up just when service starts so we can get a seat.

So overall whenever I have an urge for good old fashion Cantonese food, I go to Cooking Papa. It may not meet everyone's requirement but for me, it is one of my favorite in San Mateo.

Date of visit: September 2018