“Great views and Great people!”
Review of Ocean View Lodge

Ocean View Lodge
Ranked #4 of 23 Hotels in Fort Bragg
Alexandria, VA
“Great views and Great people!”
Reviewed September 5, 2005

My mom and I recently returned from a trip around CA and we spent three days at the Ocean View Lodge.

First, the views and the beach access is probably the best in Fort Bragg. If you want a nice and peaceful beach, this is it. Compared to the other condos/resorts that are located next to the Ocean View Lodge, this is the best.

The location is great. You are so close to Mendocino and can easily drive to Napa and Sonoma or to San Francisco. We made it back to San Francisco in about 4 hours.

The front desk is really nice. They had great recommendations for food. They were wonderful with directions and they were very helpful when I had documents to fax and to receive by fax.

Where to eat: My mom and I really enjoyed Sharon's By the Sea. It is small and cozy and have amazing sea food! For breakfast, you must go into Fort Bragg's main street area and try EggsHead Restaurant. It was the best breakfast I think my mom and I have ever had!

We would definitely recommend this hotel. Our room was on the top floor and we could see the beach from almost anywhere in the room. The fireplace is great; open your back door at night and leave it on! The rooms are beautiful. Overall, a great stay!

• Stayed August 2005
19 Thank Florida.Girl.2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Reviewed August 10, 2005

Highly reccommended for any weary traveler who wants comfort, space, and a great view. Walk to the beach from your room, and you will enjoy the balcony. Cozy bed, and we experienced friendly service. My only caveat is that they need night-lights in the room in order to get to the restroom safely in the middle of the night without stumbling.

• Stayed August 2005
11 Thank DolphinChaser
Reviewed July 17, 2005

This is a great hotel in Fort Bragg, but it's a little pricey for what you get. There are no extras like continental breakfast, vending machines, internet access, etc. But the view is AWESOME! Spectacular sunsets await! You are just steps away from the beach. Bring your bike because the Old Haul road (no cars allowed) separates the hotel from the bluffs, and goes for miles along the coastline. You'll have no problem finding a secluded beach spot for you and your sweetie. I recommend the room with the whirlpool, it's a little more, but you'll be happy you have it.

• Stayed July 2005
17 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Northern Calif
Reviewed January 6, 2005

We were treated well, and loved the downstairs room we got for $99 per night. It is over sized because it has a little sitting room when you first enter, and then you step up to the bed area. Loved the FULL ocean view, and the little balcony. The room is comfortable and clean, and we never heard anyone else through the walls. I loved the quiet. I've been in more luxurious places, but not for that price. We were told up front about their "no children" policy for upstairs Jacuzi rooms. It has to do with liability, and I can understand totally. It isn't about not liking children.

13 Thank laurfar
Reviewed October 17, 2004

My husband and I had a wonderful weekend getaway, without the children, at the Ocean View Lodge. The rooms were very clean and luxurious, and the magnificent view and the sounds of the ocean was very romantic. I found the service to be outstanding.

For those who rated this hotel negatively due to a supposed intolerance for children should really take responsibility for where they choose to take their children. When I researched hotels for our getaway, I wanted a romantic room with a jacuzzi and fireplace--things that are not suitable for children. I was informed of the Lodge's policies about not allowing children in the whirlpool rooms when I called for information. This is not because of a "intolerance for children" but simply because of liability issues surrounding having kids near the whirlpools.

There are many places that are much better suited for families with children. As parents, it is your job to find places that are more geared to providing a safe, kid-friendly environment.

19 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 8, 2004

Ocean View Lodge has the best views and most exquisite and romantic rooms on the Mendocino Coast. The prices are very reasonable. The staff was very helpful. When I booked my room by phone I was told that their liability insurance would not cover anyone under 18 in whirlpool rooms and that they had a firm two person per bed per night policy. If you want to cram your whole family into one bed, do not try and book a room at a luxury lodge.

11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 14, 2004

This is a Great place for a nice romantic getaway. It is peacefull and serene. Leave the kids at home and go. The north coast is very majestic and spiritual. We leave the kids and escape!

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Mendocino Hotel and Garden Suites
Emerald Dolphin Inn
Emerald Dolphin Inn
#7 of 23 in Fort Bragg

Been to Ocean View Lodge? Share your experiences!