“Enjoyed our experience”

Ranked #4 of 23 Hotels in Fort Bragg
Greensboro, North Carolina
“Enjoyed our experience”
Reviewed February 24, 2008

My husband and I stayed here for one night on a quick coastal getaway. We arrived a little early, but our room was ready within 5 minutes. It was a large room compared with a lot of other hotels - split level with a sitting area with a weird little sink when you first walk in the door, and up a couple of steps the bedroom area with a king-sized bed and big window overlooking the water in the distance. The room was spotless, and smelled strongly of fruity cleaner, but this faded after a while.

The bathroom was decently sized and very clean, although my husband complained about the water pressure - the shower head "misted" instead of pounding, which we prefer. :)

There was a little patio outside, but the weather was rainy, so we didn't spend any real amount of time out there. Plus, there are no walls (so they can advertise "180 degree water views") and it makes it kind of weird because you are right next to the neighbors on either side, on their porches. Right in front of the patios is the Ten Mile trail/ paved walkway, then the grass of the cliffs overlooking the ocean, and a ways off, the Pacific itself. It was great being able to lie on the bed and see the great view, but just a little annoying to have people walking by right there.

The location was great - right down the road from MacKerricher State Park with lots to do, like beaches with seals, overlooks, trails, camping and tide pools. It was close enough to the little "downtown", but far enough away to feel a little more secluded (although there are other condo/hotel places right next to it).

We ate at a local brewery on the edge of downtown which had delicious, if overpriced, hamburgers - the best I've had at a restaurant for a long time.

No breakfast provided at this hotel, which was disappointing, but they provide a list of local restaurants with a couple of breakfast places. We skipped those, however, and ate at Perko's on the way back to Hwy 20, which had tasty 'splatter-cakes'!

Overall, a good experience at a great location. Good value for the budget, too. We would return here again.

• Liked — Location!
  • Disliked — No breakfast!
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Wheatland
Reviewed November 12, 2007

My husband took me here as a belated getaway gift. We have stayed here before and absolutely LOVED it. The room was more than I expected and the view was phenomenal!

In our previous stay, we were able to see whales in the distance from our balcony. This visit was just pure relaxation with the view alone. And when I say we saw whales, we saw the spray shooting from their spout. Great view all the way around!

For a couple who enjoyed the quick weekend re-kindling what it was like before our 2 1/2 year old son, we were in a hurry to get home. We were so much in a hurry that we forgot our $500 digital camera! Don't ask me how we missed it, I always scour the room before we leave. However, this time it was hiding in a good place! Anyway, in a frantic as I began to unpack a day later, I called to see if BY CHANCE it has been turned in by our maid. To my surprise, it had! Let's face it, I think most all of us think there isn't too many honest souls left! I have to say THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, to my maid that turned it in. It might have helped that we tipped her! (wink!)

Have a great stay, this place is worth it. We will be back to enjoy another stay.

• Liked — The view
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
Marysville, California
Reviewed October 6, 2007

Overall, this property is great...specutacular view, beautiful room with jacuzzi and gas fireplace, convenient location, and did I mention the view?

The only thing that marred our experience there was the grumpy manager. She was rude enough to earn the "Iron Maiden" moniker from me. She honestly didn't care if we stayed there or not, didn't want to show us the room until we booked it, and didn't like where we parked while checking in.

I am used to a little more courtesy when travelling. My children were taught to have better manners; I demand it of them, I expect it from her. As a middle-aged woman, she should know better.

I'm not sure if I'll stay again at the Ocean View Lodge.

Notes about breakfast: Don't miss Egghead's Omelets of Oz. It's small and cramped, but the food is excellent. Yes, the restroom is separate from the main building, but it's accessed via a whimsical "Yellow Brick Road" that follows the theme of this restaurant. If you can't handle that, try the Perko's near Noyo Harbor.

• Liked — The view, and the beautiful room
  • Disliked — The grumpy manager!
  • Stayed July 2005, traveled as a couple
2 Thank be1498
American Canyon, Ca
Reviewed September 13, 2007

My husband and I stayed here as a surprise for his birthday. The ocean view is spectacular and sleeping with the door open listening to the sounds of the ocean was wonderful. The balcony gave you a great view. Our only problem was that our jacuzzi was not working properly in our room and it was not fixed during our stay. Otherwise, the rooms are spacious and clean and we had a great time.

• Liked — ocean view
  • Disliked — none
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank daisy021
Dublin, CA
Reviewed May 16, 2007

We truly enjoyed our stay at the Ocean View Lodge. The ocean view was one of the most spectacular I have ever encountered. The beach trail was also enjoyable. The close proximity to the Skunk Train was also another attraction, about 1/2 mile from the hotel. However, don't count on their wireless access, which was one of the slowest wireless connections I have ever experienced. At home and at other major hotel chains the speed is normally 54.0 Mbps; at the Ocean View Lodge it was 1.0 Mbps and it took 8 minutes to pull up my home page, many times losing the connection while trying upload. Overall, I would recommend the hotel.

• Liked — Ocean View
  • Disliked — Terrible wireless access
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CAHappy2Travel
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 11, 2007

The hotel was a good value for an on the beach location. Nice access to paths to the beach. It was out of the town of Fort Bragg, and the walkway to town was closed temporarily due to construction, so forget
about walking anywhere. The room was very large and comfortable, although no extras or nice touches. There's a step down between 2 bed
areas, which could be difficult in the dark. It was a short drive to the town of Fort Bragg. We ate at the Egghead something restaurant, which was crowded and small but excellent. Fort Bragg is fine, but Mendocino is a little bit longer drive down the coast. This was fine for one night.

• Liked — Location on the beach with nice paths
  • Disliked — Couldn't walk to town
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with friends
3 Thank alg07
California
Reviewed March 16, 2007

I'm nt sure of the date we stayed here, because we stayed a few times year after year. There were problems every time. I was charged twice, there were noisy neighbors, closed restaraunts the last time...the list goes on.... and this time? The ad in the internet Clearly states the reduced rates for November to April and even less during week days, so we arranged to take off during that time, for that reason and give them one more try. Guess what? Nope! It's "Spring Break" so the rates are ridiculas because it's a "Holiday" What?? That's NOT a holiday. Thanksgiving is a holiday, or 4th of July. We own a business and I sure don't remember Spring Break as a holiday! The rooms are noisy, the place is over rated, the desk clerk seemed to get a big kick out of hard working stiff's like us taking time to drive 5 hours to get there and be charged the Holiday Rates, ya...she actually laughed at my question and answered "WE consider Spring Break a Holiday". Save your hard earned money and let them find something to chuckle about., stay somewhere else.

• Liked — Wonderful View
  • Disliked — The Price Is WAY to high, and truly the girl at the desk is an idiot
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with family