“Skip dinner, get desert...”

Silver's at the Wharf
Ranked #5 of 86 Restaurants in Fort Bragg
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed October 28, 2012

I have eaten here a few times since it became Silvers...not such a fan.

1st time...The clam chowder..is hearty but not much flavor. Creme Brulee...to die for...
2nd try The cheddar & shrimp soup...not as good as it sounds...
The catch of the day cooked in some places and not so in others. The platter was not as good as next door. Waiter did not even offer the option of a desert and I had planned on the creme brulee...service and foof a disappointment.
3rd try cocktails only...tender was good and knowledgable.

There are newer reviews for Silver's at the Wharf

Reviewed October 28, 2012

Despite good and great reviews for this restaurant, I was very disappointed. The food was, in my case, a bit left of okay, very thick on sauces, oily, and dull in taste. The service was friendly and the roar of the crowd on a busy Saturday night in late October was surprisingly moderate.

I had made reservations for 4, and we waited only about 5 minutes to secure window seating. Nice. The menu choices were extensive and I'd been told their Clam Chowder was to "die for". So I ordered that plus a starter of crab cakes. My friends respectively ordered a few shrimp dishes, plus seafood linguine. They were satisfied although not overly enthusiastic.

My crab cakes came first, but their great taste was very marred by excessive oil. The cakes were spongy and hardly crisp. Their plumpness was due to breading rather than being full of crab. Sad. I didn't finish the four small cakes.

Then came the chowder for myself and a friend. The first few tastes were heavenly, but then it started to taste so floury as to be bitter. After 3 more small spoonfuls, I felt the beginning of a stomach ache and ate no more. My friend ate her whole bowl and was to later regret it. She was up most of the night with a stomach ache.

My two other friends fared better health wise, but neither really enjoyed their meals. Their food was "okay".

The food prices were predictably high consistent with popular wharf restaurants. Not a problem if the food were worth it. I definitely do not recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed October 20, 2012

Best place on the Wharf to eat - yes the others are good but this is my choice for the water front seating, awsome food and friendly atmosphere. Cannot go wrong here with choices for all tastes.

Reviewed October 19, 2012

In early October, my wife and I decided to embark on a weekend getaway at Ft. Bragg, a quaint former mill town, just north of the town of Mendocino. We ate at a few of the local establishments, but our best experience was at Silver’s at the Wharf.
This place, which includes a small motel just across the parking lot, is built on a fishing pier at the mouth of the Noyo River, overlooking Noyo Harbor. The harbor is named, of course, for the river, which is a bit misleading because it’s Ft. Bragg’s commercial and recreational marina. To find the wharf and Silver’s, just turn east, off Main Street (Hwy. 1), onto North Harbor Drive, and follow it down to sea level. This is a working harbor with marine-oriented businesses, as well as several restaurants and small hotels. Nothing at the wharf is fancy, but neither is it the Barbary Coast. Prices here — and throughout Ft. Bragg — tended toward the high side.
We drove by all the Noyo Harbor eateries, and after doing a bit of on-the-spot iPhone research, we decided to take our chances with Silver’s. About 6 p.m., we walked up the stairs to the second floor of an old frame building and were almost immediately ushered over to a window seat overlooking the harbor. We were very happy for about five minutes, until a mother with children arrived and seated quite nearby. One little girl had recently learned the lilting melody of Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star and she began, without cease, to serenade the entire room. Should we, could we, escape from this? We hated to leave our perfect table, what else was there?
It was a bit chilly that evening, but there was an entire deck outside the main dining rom and with only one table occupied. I walked over to one of the wait staff and asked if we could move to the deck. “Yes, of course,” he said, without missing a beat. We didn’t miss one either and soon found ourselves with almost the entire deck to ourselves and with a million-dollar view of the harbor and the setting sun. Because the temperature was falling, I asked our waiter if we could have one of the patio heaters turned on. The request was met with a smile and we soon felt as if we had the most comfortable VIP table in the house. Our waiter was Armando and, at every turn, he managed to be both very friendly and very professional. He really made our experience a great one.
Our meal was also quite good. You can’t get your French laundry done in Ft. Bragg, but our meals were quite satisfying. The menu runs toward Italian mariner and we began with crab cakes, which were full of crab and little else. I had the shrimp scampi, while my wife had the Frutti de Mare Brochette. The scampi was great, the pasta al dente and with plenty of large shrimp. My wife’s seafood brochettes were fresh and cooked perfectly. The side dishes were also excellent. My wife had a good chardonnay, and I had an Old #38 stout — one of several good beers available from the local North Coast Brewing Co.
For much of our meal, we were the only diners out on the deck, but Armando and our service never flagged. We finished up with cheesecake and a hot-fudge sundae, both excellent and generously portioned. The entire bill came to $118, plus a well-deserved tip. It was a romantic evening we won’t forget.

1  Thank leehorse
Reviewed October 18, 2012

We come to Ft. Bragg/Mendocino every 2/3 years. Eating down in the Noyo Harbor is one of our pleasures. This year we had both lunch and dinner at the Wharf. Great for simple, local fish done extremely well. Don't think you're at a Michelin starred restaurant in San Francisco and eat the difficult dishes. Fish. Simply. Their own tiny little fish caught right there and fried instantly for you (Pitti Pesce) for example; anything that's in season. Excellent.

The usual kind of professional service that you expect in a place like this. Full bar; pathetic wine list unfortunately.

Fabulous view (dining room is upstairs hanging over the harbor) all the time is half the pleasure of coming here, day or night. Commenting on the catch coming in with strangers at the next table and so on.