“Tiny Toilet Trouble”

Ranked #11 of 23 Hotels in Fort Bragg
San Jose, CA
“Tiny Toilet Trouble”
Reviewed October 19, 2013

The toilet was ridiculously small, hard for a man to use, but not the worst I've encountered. I don't know what idiot made the decision to install these tiny toilets, but the few dollars they may have saved will be lost due to lost future business. This was the only problem serious enough to make me consider staying elsewhere in the future. My wife and I come to the area frequently so we have stayed in many places. Other problems include noise transfer through walls--it was actually annoyingly loud when someone turned on the bathroom fan in the room behind us, but if he didn't turn it on, we could hear the man urinating so that wasn't great either. It was also annoying that the only light in the toilet/shower area was a heat lamp, and it was on the same switch as the fan. Counter around sink was a bit small. Mattress was a bit old & hard, but not terrible.
The room was pretty good size, but due to the layout & furniture arrangement it was a bit cramped. Sink was out in room, so that is good. Room was VERY CLEAN, so that is the most import consideration. I don't care if it was "outdated," as some have complained. The price was much better than any "updated" room you might find in the area. Breakfast was decent--numerous muffin choices & yogurt choices. More light or plain yogurts would have been nice. Pool was plenty warm and the pool/hut tub area was nice and well-ventilated so no excessive chlorine smell. No AC I guess but with the weather we had, 60's 7 low 70's, didn't need it. Overall, we kind of liked it here and may stay again, but as I said, with the tiny toilet I might not want to come back unless the price is really good compared to other options.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
seabirdlodge, Owner at Seabird Lodge - a Signature Inn, responded to this review, October 20, 2013
Thanks for posting a review of the Seabird. Our dedicated housekeeping staff does a great job! Glad you found your room VERY CLEAN. Thank you for recognizing their efforts. The indoor heated pool and hot tub are popular with our guests--whether to get some exercise or just to soothe away the adventures of the day. I enjoy making the muffins -- blueberry, bran/zucchini, maraschino cherry/white chocolate, cranberry/orange, chocolate/chocolate chip, lemon poppyseed and others. Thanks, again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed October 18, 2013

Traveling with our dog we need a good hotel that allows dogs. Great hotel, ok rooms, price good, excellent and friendly staff. Staff friendly, helpfull and they go the extra step for visitors. The room clean, towels great and lots of hot water

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank riley5253
Thanks for the review of the Seabird. I am in complete agreement with you-- we have a great staff and they all go the extra mile for our guests. Please tell your friends about the great service you get at the Seabird. Thanks, again.
Ukiah, California
Reviewed October 11, 2013

This hotel has some of the nicest staff I have talked to when checking in to a hotel! The reason I am only giving this hotel an "Average" rating is because there are a few improvements that could be made.

1.) The pool! It was pretty cold outside (which is normal for Fort Bragg, we go often) and I was surprised at how cold the "Heated" pool was. The Hot tub was nice, but I had my 2 year old niece with me so we thought the pool would be perfect for her (didn't want her to go in the hot tub) but after about 5 to 10 minutes none of us could stand it anymore and our lips were purple. I also left a note with the front desk when checking out about the pool being cold.

2.) There was a spider on the wall in our room above the head board! I am not afraid of spiders so it didn't bother me, but when you are paying for a room that is not something that you should have to deal with.

3.) As I had read in the previous reviews about the pool towels, they were totally on point! The pool towels were so small and thin and scratchy :-/. The bath towels were just fine. But the pool towels wouldn't even fit around any of us. However the were the perfect size for my 2 year old niece! We had brought our own beach towels so it ended up being fine.

Those were the 3 major things that I noticed needed improvement! We would probably try staying again in the future, I just hope they listen to us on our reviews and seriously take into consideration little upgrades here and there. I know it can be expensive and I wasn't expecting luxury, but a real "heated" pool and better towels would be a great start!

I didn't get a chance to try the famous home made muffins, but if we come again I will be sure to! We also appreciated that we were able to have a later check out. (Instead of 11 they let us stay until 12) Which was nice because we had went Abalone diving in the morning.

Room Tip: If you can, pick the rooms that are attached to the lobby, the detached building has rooms that are...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Thanks for taking the time to post a review of the Seabird. We keep the pool at about 83 degrees. Over the years we have found that to be the best temperature balance for the serious swimmer and the leisure play/splash type swimmer. The hot tub is kept at about 100 degrees. Sorry about the spider--it happens on occasion. We do have a regular monthly service to keep on top of things. Glad you recognized the quality of our guestroom towels--we use higher quality towels than many other mid range hotels. The pool towels get a lot of abuse and we just can't use the same quality towels there that we provide in the guestrooms. Hope to see you on a future visit to the Coast.
Satellite Beach, Florida, United States
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Made reservations after seeing this hotel on line. Greeted by a friendly staff upon arrival. Room was very outdated. The linens were very worn and thin. The towels provided for the pool and jaccuzzi were so thin you could see thru them. No airconditioning in the rooms, had to leave the front window open facing the walkway open so you can hear everyone walking by all hours of the night. For the price we were charged, the accomadations should have been much better.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
seabirdlodge, Owner at Seabird Lodge - a Signature Inn, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Thank you for posting a review of the Seabird. Glad you received a warm greeting by one of our staff members. Sorry we did not meet your expectations in other areas. There are very few days here on the Mendocino Coast that are warm enough to need air conditioning. You were here on one of those glorious Indian Summer days. We will take your comments regarding towels/linens into consideration the next time we reorder.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed September 18, 2013

This was our first visit to the area and we were traveling with our dog. Upon our arrival we were greeted by a friendly staff that included a furry-friend. The room was fine and included a small frig and nice tv. The bathroom was clean, but we did see ants and could not leave any food out. The coffee and muffins were nice and convenient. It was a pleasant, centrally located, inexpensive motel. If I were staying longer and had more money to spend, I might stay elsewhere, but it was fine and the staff was pleasant.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Regina W
seabirdlodge, Owner at Seabird Lodge - a Signature Inn, responded to this review, September 22, 2013
Thanks for posting a review of your stay at the Seabird. At any time of year our rates are fair. Now that the busy tourist season is over our rates are very friendly--come back and stay with us again soon. Glad you enjoyed our morning muffins--I enjoy making them for our guests! Hope to see you again in our beautiful part of the world.
Valdivia, Chile
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I think it was quite expensive for what it offered... US$150 for nothing special, a simple motel.... but we had to sleep in this hotel because there was nothing else available in town.
The breakfast was ridiculous... watery coffe and some cheap small muffin that you had to take to your room because there was no breakfast room...

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
seabirdlodge, Owner at Seabird Lodge - a Signature Inn, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Thanks for posting a review of the Seabird. Rates vary by season--this is the busiest time of year on the Mendocino Coast so the rates are higher, during the off season the scenery is still spectacular and the rates are less! Our morning muffins are a big hit with our guests. All fresh baked right here in Fort Bragg--not made with all sorts of preservatives in some far away plant and shipped here. I make many varieties such as: Blueberry, Bran/Zucchini, Lemon Poppyseed, Apricot Pecan, Blueberry Lemon, Maraschino Cherry/White Chocolate and the crowd favorite Chocolate/Chocolate chip.
Simi Valley, California
Reviewed July 27, 2013

We stopped her for the night on our trip down the coast. It is very outdated but seemed to be clean. Our problem was more with the rooms having extremely thin walls or adjoining doors where all sound comes through. On one side of us, the person had the tv so loud we could hear the entire show. On the other side, the occupant had a large dog that barked in the middle of the night. Worst of all was the people in the room behind us. They were having a large party which you could hear throughout the whole room. It was so bad, we left the motel at 3:30am since we weren't getting any sleep. When the front desk tried to call them, no one would answer the desk phone. So I asked for a refund, since the place was overpriced for what it was. I have paid less money to stay at the Marriott or Hilton property. But on that day in particular, the best western down the street was over twice the price. Since they didn't charge me and were very apologetic, I am giving them 2 stars instead of one.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Laura63013
On occasion we get those noisy inconsiderate guests! Sure seems as if we had 'em the night you were here! I would like to add my apology to those extended to you by our staff. Hope you were able to catch up on your sleep the next night. Please give us another chance to offer "a peaceful night's rest" on your next visit to the Mendocino Coast. Again, my apologies.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fort Bragg
Holiday Inn Express Fort Bragg
Beach House Inn
Beach House Inn
#9 of 23 in Fort Bragg

Been to Seabird Lodge - a Signature Inn? Share your experiences!