“It was fine”

Ranked #11 of 23 Hotels in Fort Bragg
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“It was fine”
Reviewed August 21, 2007

My husband and I stayed here one night during the week (in Aug 2007) during our drive up the coast from San Fran to Seattle. Ft. Bragg seemed like a good place to stop distance-wise. The town is small but I was happy to find a Starbucks there, as well as a nice Safeway. The motel was fine- clean, which is all I really cared about. We stayed in a lower lever room that did not have a balcony. It was your basic Comfort Inn type place (if I had to compare it to someplace). The front desk people were very nice. It's certainly nothing fancy, and does sit right on the road, but it was still quiet. If you're just passing thru it's fine for a night. Mendocino was a cuter town but also very small. We ate dinner at the brewery in town (in Ft Bragg). It was ok- they were out of a lot of items on the menu and everything, being that it's a brewery, was deep friend and super greasy. Oh, book thru hotels.com for a discounted rate.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Sacramento
Reviewed August 17, 2007

We would definitely recommend Beach House Inn and will stay there again. The room was just as pictured on the website. Roomy, very quiet and very clean (this is the first hotel we have stayed at in years where my spouse did not complain about the smell of the pillows). One of the things I liked most was the secure feeling; a key was needed to get into the building at night, as well as our room.

Stayed July 2007
2 Thank Unikiam
vacaville
Reviewed August 9, 2007

What upsets me is that hotel has specifically discriminated against a soccer team. They would not book rooms for soccer teams. Isn't money money? What a stupid thing to say.

Thanks for discriminating. We all love that in America!

Why would you discriminate against a group of people that bring A LOT of money to your town that SHOULD be more than happy to have in their town spending their money. What an idiot.

By-the-way, what the heck is a "soccer swim mom"? Again, an idiot. It is an adult soccer tournament.

Stayed September 2006
1 Thank adultsoccer
Mt. Shasta
Reviewed August 3, 2007

I booked our room through expedia. When we arrived we went to our room and it didn't have a balcony. I had specificly requested a balcony room through expedia. I went back to the management and explained my request and they immidiately fixed the problem for me. They were very accomodatng and friendly to us. We are going back to Fort Bragg in a couple of days and guess where we will stay? Yes... the Beach House Inn. The rooms are very clean, the views that we had were great. The noise level was quieter than at the Best Western( which cost us quite a bit more) that we stayed at last month. I would reccomend this motel to anyone who is going to the Fort Bragg area.

Thank You Beach House Inn Management for being so good to us!!!

• Liked — It was CLEAN
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank MtShastaHappy
California
Reviewed May 15, 2007

Several families from our soccer team booked rooms at this hotel last October. As it is time to book again for this year, I felt it necessary to share our experience with the management of this hotel so that people know what they are getting into. Although the hotel itself is cute and has a good location, the management is so poor that it overshadowed any good qualities of the hotel. The manager, Charles, was rude, arogant and had absolutely no customer service skills whatsoever. We too had problems with only receiving 1 key to many of the rooms and he made no attempts to get any others. We also had problems with the balcony doors not shutting properly or locking at all. When asked in the morning if he could get it fixed by the afternoon he said he wouldn't. When asked if we could just get a broom handle or something to put in the door jam, he refused to do that either and got very defensive and threatened to "let us out of our reservation". When I demanded to be given the owner's name and contact information, he refused. I would never stay here again and I would not recommend it to anyone hoping for any kind of customer service. Much of why an establishment receives high ratings on sites such as this has to do with management and superior customer service. I would encourage the owner of this one to reevaluate how his current management is hurting his hotel's reputation.

• Liked — Location, views of the river
  • Disliked — rude management and poor customer service
  • Stayed October 2006
5 Thank soccerswimmom
onepony, Manager at Beach House Inn, responded to this review, May 20, 2007
Dear Soccer Swim Mom,

2 days before writing your review you called us to book multiple rooms for this year's soccer tournament. My daughter told you we were not booking soccer teams this year. You got mad at her so she put me on the phone. I told you we were not booking soccer teams because it leaves no rooms in our town for the non soccer team tourist that are enjoying their family summer vacations. You got mad and wrote this bad review. If you did not like our motel then why did you try and get you team rooms again? P.s. we do have rooms letf on 8/10 and 8/11 if any non-soccer tournament people need them feel free to give us a call you won't be sorry!
Occidental, California
Reviewed April 14, 2007

We stayed here after the motel we usually stay at was booked up. The rooms were clean and large for the price, but there was a very sweet perfumey smell that bothered all of us the entire time. The staff was
nice but not overly helpful or friendly. The balcony made my husband very nervous as it did not seem to have any supports. The view was very nice of Pudding Creek, but we all missed the sound of the ocean waves across the highway. The worst part, besides the smell, was how loud it was when someone on the floor above us took a shower -- it was loud! We'd stay here again only if our favorite motel was unavailable.

• Liked — price
  • Disliked — smell; loud showers from neighboring rooms
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank ShawnConna
Yuba City, CA, USA
Reviewed April 14, 2007

We wrote an earlier review a few years ago when the hotel was under different management and all was fine and a good value. Last November we rented 3 rooms for family and friends. We asked for a no pet room and no smoking. There were dogs everywhere as other guests seemed to have dogs. We are not dog/cat people. We did not like having to be on guard all the time for the dogs.
The room key was an issue. We requested two keys and were given one. A few hours later I was locked out while my wife was inside. I yelled and pounded on the door and she could not hear me. I asked the manager again for a second key and he would not give me one. He walked me back to the room and let me in. Again, I insisted we must have a second key. Finally on the second day in the afternoon after many requests he gave me a second room key. He acted as if this was some sort of favor to me not just part good service. He said he could make the new key himself so I don't see why the day's delay.
Our rooms faced highway so we could not sit outside and enjoy the quiet as there was none. Darn...

• Liked — Large rooms and good layout.
  • Disliked — Poor management and maids who spoke no English
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank scienceguy2001
onepony, Manager at Beach House Inn, responded to this review, April 25, 2007
Dear Un-Happy guest,

I am sorry we did not have 2 keys for you when you checked in. People do take them and although I can make them on site it is not done in the office so when I have no other person to watch the front desk I do have to make them when I have coverage. When a guest wants 2 keys and only 1 is available I always tell the guest when the 2nd key will be available and that if they get locked out to let me know and I would let them in. I remember telling you the key would be ready either that night or the next morning about 9am and that I would let you in your room if you got locked out. I had the key ready the next morning and sitting in your inbox. You guys drove off for the day returning in the afternoon came in and I gave you the key...... You did not come to the office when you were locked out so I wasn't able to let you in. Next, we are ½ pet friendly. When your reservation was made you did ask for non smoking (we are %100 non-smoking) but did not mention no pets. If you would have we would have placed you in a non pet room at the time of the reservation as all rooms are pre-assigned at the time the reservation is made. In closing I hope readers of your review will still come and enjoy our beautiful hotel (ranked #1 till YOUR review :) )