“If you have to be in Fort Bragg”
Review of Weller House Inn

Weller House Inn
Ranked #3 of 11 Fort Bragg B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 25, 2012

When you fly into Albuquerque New Mexico and rent a car, they give you a map of Santa Fe, because that's where everybody wants to go. Same with Fort Bragg- most folks would rather be in Mendocino. However, Fort Bragg has its charms, and this house is one of them. It's right next to the Skunk Train and the Guest House Museum, a great way to spend an afternoon; and just a few blocks from the Glass Beach, which is a must if you have little kids.
The house itself is a treat, with old woodwork and tin ceilings. I got a kick out of the ancient elephant head shaped toilet on the second floor landing, complete with wooden tank on the wall and a chain to pull. (Your idea of entertainment may differ.) There's a tower you can climb for a nice view of town, and in the yard below you can visit with the half dozen chickens who kindly provide breakfast eggs.
The room we had was very roomy and comfortable, the staff were friendly, they have a very varied selection of books to pass an evening, and all things considered, we had a fine time there. Give it a try, I think you'll enjoy it.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 24, 2012

On a recent trip to Fort Bragg, I was fortunate to stay at the Weller House Inn Bed and Breakfast. This place is a true treasure. It is a Victorian house on the National Historic register that has been lovingly cared for and up dated with “modern plumbing”. The Innkeeper Vivien greeted us and showed us to our room. It was beautiful with its Victorian charm. The bed was very comfortable, the room was immaculate and the linens had a country “fresh” fragrance without any added perfumes. After we settled in Vivien gave us a personnel tour of the property and offered her services to make our stay a pleasant one. The breakfast was delicious with us enjoying among other things fresh eggs from the chickens in the back yard! The Inn is within walking distance of most things in Fort Bragg; The Skunk Train, The Glass Beach, excellent eating establishments and shopping. I highly recommend the Weller House Inn! I give it 5 stars!

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 22, 2012

I always travel optimistically, expecting to have an enjoyable experience, meet agreeable people, see interesting sights and learn something new; I am rarely disappointed. My recent stay at Fort Bragg’s Weller House Inn reinforced my conviction that this is the attitude that leads to the richest and most fulfilling travel.
A warm welcome from Innkeeper Vivien LaMothe set the tone immediately; a tour of the house, with a running commentary of interesting historical and architectural information, made us feel at home. Our ground floor room was very comfortable, spotlessly clean, and nicely furnished (loved the little cherub drapery holders and the gleaming wood floors!). We had two relaxing nights and two simple but very tasty breakfasts. A highlight was a quick run up the stairs to see the steam locomotive pulling “The Skunk” train out of the nearby station.
Fort Bragg is also home to the superb Mendocino Coast Botanical Gardens, which provided several hours of enjoyment. Two superb dinner spots are Heron’s by the Sea, at Noyo Harbor (best harbor view in town) and the North Coast Brewing Company Taproom and Grill (their seared sea scallop salad was fabulous).
The Weller House Inn is an ideal base for exploring the laidback charms of this coastal town. Far less pretentious than the better-known tourist destination of Mendocino, Fort Bragg has a quiet and simple presence that welcomes visitors. You may find yourself driving around the residential areas, as we did, musing about what life would be like if we moved there!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 16, 2012

After spending nearly 4 hours in the car with two children (ages 3 and 8) and a sleepy husband, we were relieved to finally arrive at the Weller House Inn. My family and I were greeted by the very friendly and hospitable innkeeper Vivien, who gave us a tour of the home. We were impressed with her knowledge regarding the history of the place. The house appeared very clean and lovingly restored. We stayed in a large room with a king and double bed. We were provided with a cot for our youngest. The kids loved to flush the old fashioned toilet with the tank mounted on the wall and long cord. Vivien very thoughtfully brought books for the kids to read. She allowed them to play the piano in the beautiful third floor ballroom. Breakfast was a simple but very tasty choice of yogurt, oatmeal with raisins or toasted bread. The fresh squeezed orange juice was really delicious. Excellent recommendations were made for a lovely bicycle ride over the Pudding Creek Trestle Bridge to Mackerricher State Park, as well as dinner (Piacci Pub & Pizzeria) and lunch (Cafe One) suggestions. Vivien even lent us bicycle helmuts for the kids!
The only down side to the trip was that the common room on the first floor was being reorganized and too messy to enjoy. Overall, a very lovely option for accommodations in Fort Bragg. Location is superb and kid friendly.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 12, 2012

Fort Bragg is a little out of the way and after 4 hours on a bus I was not in the best of moods. Suffice to say I was welcomed with a smile as soon as I stepped through the front door, immediately feeling much more relaxed while the great hosts asked me to take a seat while they took care of everything.

The house was amazing, you can see and feel the history of the place as you walk from room to room, looking at the beautifully laid wood floors, historic photo frames hanging on the walls, and a simply grand selection of books to browse over in the common room that left me in awe.

Then I was shown what I believe are the best two highlights of Weller House Inn; the huge ballroom on the third floor, and the four story high tower adjacent to the house, wow! During my stay I was lucky enough to be present for a concert with what I believe were a world class cello and accordian duo, selling out every available seat and filling the house with amazing music. And the tower (in which my room was in) was breathtaking. The interior was amazing and the views are literally higher than just about every building in the world of Fort Bragg, offering you uninterupted views of the town and ocean below, with even a small patio area on the very top with some deck chairs to allow you to watch the sunset.

Vivien, the innkeeper, was superb. She was a joy to talk and listen to, offering all her knowledge on the town, gardening, cooking and even the history of the house.

Staying here was a great experience that I feel lucky to have had during my travels.

Room Tip: The room called Abalone is the third highest room in the tower, offering fantastic views of the town...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Aaron S
Reviewed July 3, 2012

A friend and I booked another B+B but a mistake had been made and there was a double booking. We were sent to the Weller House Inn with the promise that the price would be the same as that of our original booking which was a basic accommodation. The Weller House Inn turned out to be deluxe in every way. We were greeted and made to feel completely at home by Vivien LaMothe, the proprietor. She showed us around the building and we were immediately impressed with the lovely ballroom made completely from heart of redwood with window seats, lots of books, and at the moment of our arrival a view of the Skunk Train going past. She also gave us suggestions for where to go, including the beautiful Mendocino Coast Botanical Gardens which we didn't even know about. Our room was absolutely charming and decorated in white with lacy details, very much the feeling of other times and very warm, welcoming and cozy. The beds were extremely comfortable. The bathroom had beautiful period tiled decor but was up to date and fully equipped with a double jacuzzi and beautiful light shining in from an antique stained glass window. The breakfasts were hearty with the best eggs I've ever eaten, just laid by their own chickens (the yolks were even more orange than the fresh squeezed organic orange juice!). The homemade orange marmalade was scrumptious, and on our second morning the banana pancakes were to die for. It was an easy walk to restaurants and shops. Everything about the experience was stimulating and relaxing at the same time and I can't wait for my next visit.
In fact I've decided to bring friends and family to the Inn for a grand house party to celebrate my 75th birthday and my granddaughters 21st.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Anne M
Reviewed June 29, 2012

We were guests at Weller House two weeks ago for two days
Unfortunately, we cannot give this B&B a very good review. There were a number of dissappointments. I was really looking forward to their advertised beautiful gardens but they were in terrible shape from the dead lawn to the tall weeds throughout. A few roses were trying to bloom through the weeds. The hose was strung across the walkway both days.
Our room was quaint and compfortable and had a good bed, but no daily room service and fresh towels. Breakfast was ordinary with nothing special, no fresh fruit, pastries or meat.
There was no common meeting room where we could visit with our friends.
The absence of the Innkeeper, Vivian was very evident and lack of adequate help also.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends