Holiday Inn Express Fort Bragg(Fort Bragg)(Great Value!)
$182
HIExpress.com
Ocean View Lodge(Fort Bragg)
$213
Surf & Sand Lodge(Fort Bragg)(Great Value!)
$164
$152
Super 8 by Wyndham Fort Bragg(Fort Bragg)(Great Value!)
$112
Beach House Inn(Fort Bragg)(Great Value!)
$116
$110
North Cliff Hotel(Fort Bragg)
$209
$200
$154
Travelocity
$212
$152
Surf Motel and Gardens(Fort Bragg)(Great Value!)
$80
Harbor Lite Lodge(Fort Bragg)(Great Value!)
$141
$121
All reviewssweet peasunset roomquirky placeglass beachnew ownerssmall refrigeratorocean sidetop floorwhalesfelinehairdryer
Reviewed September 1, 2013

We were staying in a beautiful room, played pool and had an excellent breakfast! A bit pricy, but it is very much worth it!!! We were with four persons in a room, which was excellent, more then enough space! The hotel is a place full of memories. Cozy and a nice experience. I hope to go back here once again!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 31, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at the Grey Whale for 3 nights. We returned after having stayed here 20 years ago and remembering it fondly. When we arrived we noticed that the front of the Inn looked very different with an out-of-control, overgrown and rambling garden. Once inside, we saw no one, so had to ring the innkeeper who answered his phone and came to check us in. The ground floor was quite dark and gloomy looking, but we went upstairs to our Mendocino Coast room, and although the bedroom part was quite small, it was well decorated and had lots of light from the windows. Only after unpacking did we realize that there was hardly no place to put our clothing away. A large armoir had no pole to hang anything on, so only took up space and had one drawer to use, in back of a wing chair that had to be moved to find some space. A narrow makeshift closet had been cut into the wall with 6 hangers for our clothing. The TV was an antique 12 inch one with snowy reception, and we soon realized that the traffic noise from Hwy. 128 would not allow us to keep the windows open.
Subsequently, we realized that the innkeeper was also the cook at breakfast with no other help. Breakfast was basically good (granola with fruit, scrambled or poached eggs and a few potatoes), but he did not offer juice until we asked for it, had no sugar for coffee, and usually disappeared back into the kitchen without offering more coffee or any kind of baked goods.
Another issue was that the back door was left unlocked 2 of the 3 nights when we returned and there was no on on duty, so it felt eery being in that big building and feeling that it was largely empty, except for the house kitty!
The Grey Whale is an interesting, historic building, has many great antiques and artwork, and is basically clean, but we were anxious to leave after two nights. All in all, this B & B doesn't offerenogh charm or friendliness to justify the price of the rooms.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 30, 2013

My mother and I stayed at the Grey Whale in early August on a trip from San Francisco to Eureka. It is a charming Inn with very quirky and interesting art decorating the hallways. The owner was extremely friendly, expecially when we arrived late on the first night of our stay. We had the Sunset room which had a great view of quirky Fort Bragg.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Naturally, I would give this hotel a 4-star review. The person behind the check-in counter was friendly, the breakfast was good, and the rooms were clean and spacious. Now, the reason why I’m giving this hotel a three star review doesn’t have to do with the quality of the inn. It has to do with my experience there, as well as my family’s.

I want you to know that what you read from now on are the occurrences perceived by my mind, as well as my brother’s and my mom’s. I like to think that my family and I are very rational people and we haven’t been able to explain these situations in any natural way.

I was an eleventh grader at the time, so I wasn’t too stoked when my dad told me that we were going to stay at a “classic” inn that was only a three-hour drive from home (we lived in the Bay Area). I’d much rather have been on Facebook in the comfort of my room, but I had no choice but to tag along. It was a gloomy winter afternoon. We pulled up into the vacant lot of the inn around 4:30PM and it was starting to get dark quickly. Ominous clouds started approaching from the coast and the pitter patter of rain was just beginning to hit the windshield. My parents unloaded the car as my twin brother (Ira) and I went to go explore the inn’s basement. I remember descending the stairs when I quickly got this odd chill throughout my body. The huge basement was stale, darkly lit, and empty except for a couple of old pool tables. We found a few balls and tried to play a game, but after five minutes, we both got a bit spooked when the rain began to hit the small windows outlining the perimeter. We scurried back up stairs to see if our parents needed any help.

Seeing as they were done unloading, we left to go eat dinner at a nearby restaurant. By this time, night had fallen and the rain had picked up even more. We ran to our car to avoid being drenched and drove off. Two hours later, we were back. I remember noticing how empty the inn looked from the outside. All the lights were off except for the lobby and one room on the first floor. My dad told me later that we were the only family there besides a young couple. We walked in the lobby to notice the person behind the counter had already gone home. It was around 7:30PM by then. Since we had nothing important left to do, my dad decided to take a tour of the nearly vacant inn. He took my brother and me along, jokingly scaring us about this monstrous inn. As we kept walking, I began to take closer looks at the old pictures on the wall. To my bewilderment, I realized that the inn was previously a hospital some many decades ago. No wonder why the rooms were so big and the doors so wide.

By then, I was getting a bit spooked about the entire situation. It was raining harder than ever and I just wanted to go back to our room and sleep. On the way back from the mini tour, my dad spotted a small collection of VHS movies in the lobby. “Why not,” I thought. My brother and I chose 20000 Leagues Under the Sea and hurried back to the room.

Halfway through the movie, I noticed that my brother and I were the only ones awake. By now it was nearing 10:00PM and both my parents were peacefully snoring away. That’s when things started to become a bit odd.
The TV set started to fade in and out of static. We would be watching the movie, and all of a sudden, it would turn to that salt-and-pepper static along with the horrible noise and then revert back to the movie. It worsened as the movie progressed. Ira and I couldn’t figure out if it had been the old videocassette or just a malfunction with the VCR, so we eventually gave up watching the rest of the movie. We turned off the TV set, and that’s when my brother first heard it.

“What’s that noise?” he asked. I looked at him in silence, and then I heard it too. Organs. Someone, or something, was playing the organs. The faint noise seemed to be emanating from the floor above us. “That’s strange,” I thought to myself, “we were just up there and it was empty.” What was also strange was that there were no musical instruments up there, just a vacant room.

“Screw that, I’m going to bed.” I quickly jumped into the bed, covered up my head with my blanket and dozed off.

As nervous as I was that night, I was surprised that I had a solid sleep. The bed was comfortable to say the least. When I was just beginning to think that all the strange phenomena was just some weird natural occurrence, the next morning, my mom asked a question made the hair on the back of my neck stand.

“Hey boys,” she said, “was one of you standing next to me for some reason last night?”

“What do you mean Mom?” I asked.

“Well I woke up during the night and felt someone standing right next to the edge of my bed. It didn't really move, but I could feel that it was looming over me. I didn’t want to look at who or what it was at the moment because I didn’t want to know. Are you sure it wasn’t you guys?”

When we told her no, she became a bit frightened. It couldn’t have been my dad, she said, he was on the couch snoring loudly. Apparently, my mom had woken up because she felt a slight disturbance. As she lay there trying to fall back asleep, the figure apparently just stood there and my mom felt as if it had been glaring at her from behind.

My dad overheard the incident and laughed. He didn’t believe in a single word. By then, my brother and I wanted the hell out. We asked if we could cut it a day short and leave that morning, but my dad was reluctant.

“Give it a few more hours, okay?” he reasoned.

We went to go eat our breakfast at the petite kitchen next to the lobby. The food was well prepared by a single chef. After we were done, we returned to the room. Ira went to the bathroom, only to come out a few minutes later with a surprised look on his face.

“I felt something caress my butt when I was in there,” he said.

My mom laughed. “What are you talking about?”

“Well I was almost done using the bathroom and was about to flush the toilet when I felt this gentle pat on my butt. I turned around to see what had caused it, but there was only a chair facing me on the opposite corner.”

That seemed to be the last straw. The majority of my family had had enough. What was initially supposed to be a two-night stay was deliberately cut short. We packed up all our belongings and left that day at noon.

To this day, we still don’t know if the place is actually haunted or not, but our experiences there are all true. I found out a few weeks later that this inn is supposedly haunted. I'd like to know if anyone else has experienced anything weird there.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
42  Thank Carl S
Reviewed July 23, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Grey Whale Inn on our honeymoon. We were taking a tour of the west coast and Fort Bragg was a stop on our way. Upon arrival we felt immediately welcomed by the cozy vibe of the hotel and our room was clean and adorable. We enjoyed our evening out for dinner in Fort Bragg and the next morning we were warmly greeted by Mike for breakfast in the dining area. Mike prepared our breakfasts both mornings (outstanding and fresh, he uses the herbs grown from garden at the Inn) and offered us some helpful sightseeing tips! Later that evening we took advantage of the Inn's game room - we played pool, foosball, and enjoyed the quiet and relaxing atmosphere that the Inn has to offer. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple