“DON'T STAY HERE”
Review of Grey Whale Inn

Grey Whale Inn
Ranked #8 of 11 Fort Bragg B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 11, 2011

This B&B should be called the Beached Whale. Adjectives to describe our room are depressing, decay, decrepit, basically a dump. No romantic atmosphere for our 6th year anniversary. The medicinal smell gave me a whooping headache but it could have been the mold growing on the window panes, the worn carpet, or the pre-fab plastic shower. No place to hang clothes as the armoire was stuck shut, and the only amenities in the room was a bar of soap. Our view was of telephone poles and beat up neighboring houses. The tv was a tiny relic from the seventies. The landscape outside was neglected, even the sign. The innkeeper was angry, prejudicial and insulting when we expressed our displeasure with our room. And yet the place was empty so why didn't he have a clue??? We decided to end our stay rather than endure another night. What a rip off. We've stayed in many other B&Bs in Mendocino and around the world, and we've never been treated so badly and had so little enjoyment from a vacation.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TJHS

Reviewed August 13, 2011

We were 2 nights in Grey Whale Inn in 2006 or 2007.
The Inn has charm and certain characteristics that make it a cute place to be for us Europeans (German and Spanish). We followed the grey whale migrations along the Californian coast and these part of California is one of our most beloved ones. The Inn has a-temporal feeling, and the decoration is interesting (pathwork, US style). What I did not like is the fact that there were cats in the Inn, and our bed cover had a cat (urine) smell.
I personally like pets but I am not fond of their wandering about an Inn, and not specially the bed I am going to sleep in.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 21, 2011

Is lacking a little on cohesive decor. Needs a little work on warmth. Has all of the elements on a great inn, just needs a little polish. The breakfast was fresh and delicious! And I always appreciate a real blow dryer in the room and extra pillows readily available, so extra points for that.

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed June 12, 2011

During many visits to the Mendocino Coast over decades, I nearly always have stayed in the village of Mendocino. We’ve often stopped at galleries in Fort Bragg and eaten at the fine Mendo Bistro on No. Main St., but have never lodged in town. But each time we drove into Fort Bragg and passed the Grey Whale Inn, I would always think “that’s where I’ll stay if I ever spend the night here.” This month the opportunity finally came and we stayed 2 nights in the Grey Whale Inn’s Campbell Room.

The location of the Inn was so convenient for walking everywhere we wanted to go. It was such a pleasure to be able to park our car when we arrived and not need to get in it again until we were ready to leave town--restaurants, art galleries, shops and the Skunk Train were all within a very short walk from the Inn.

The expansive yet still cozy feeling Inn with its unusual history of being Fort Bragg’s former hospital, was a unique treat. It was so comfortable and welcoming; filled with history and art and even a little Bohemian flavor. One can easily devote over an hour to exploring its different levels and areas and perusing the old photographs, maps, artifacts, fascinating artwork and beautiful pottery and ceramics (most created by Mike, the congenial owner/innkeeper). Sweet Pea, the resident cat, came to greet us when we checked in and made us feel very much at home since we have 2 kitties at our house.

There is a very lovely, diverse garden that contains both ornamentals and edibles. Many of the herbs and veggies are used at the Inn.

I very much liked the idea of having a “guest kitchen” available for those wishing to prepare simple meals themselves if they don't wish to go out to eat.

The Campbell Room (located on the 2nd floor in the southwest corner of the Inn) was spacious and serene feeling, and we even had a distant view of the ocean. There was plenty of space to relax as we had a small sofa, 2 armchairs, a small writing desk and a gas fireplace. A TV (which we never even thought to turn on) and a phone were in the room. The VERY comfortable King bed was set back into its own curtained alcove area. Small nightstands would have been a convenient to place glasses, but there were none.

A little area leading to the bath contained a small refrigerator and sink. There was an open closet area, but strangely, no hangers in it. As it was, we had only foldable clothes so didn’t ask about getting hangers. The bath itself was serviceable and had decent lighting, a nice long countertop and another sink. The shower/tub seemed to be narrower than standard. The water pressure and heat level were both good and the toilet functioned fine (not always the case at historic properties!) A hairdryer was provided in the bathroom.

Our breakfasts were simple, but absolutely fresh and delicious. We had a choice of homemade granola, yogurt, whole grain bagels with cream cheese, English muffins, fresh fruit; plus each morning we were served an egg dish with potatoes. The savory flavors (herbs from the Inn’s garden, no doubt) were so good! Coffee, tea and orange juice rounded out breakfast. Mike, along with being a wonderful host and talented artist, is also a fantastic chef!

After staying at the Grey Whale Inn, I understand why guests return there again and again--and each time feel like they’re coming home.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Forestvillian
Reviewed September 28, 2010

The inn was a hospital and the rooms are quite large and comfortable. Michael, the innkeeper, and Sweetpea, the cat, were great. Breakfasts were very good. Only drawback is that the inn is in need of maintenance, with, for example, the paint peeling on the windowsills. It's very clean, however, and the price was far below other accommodations in the Mendocino/Ft. Bragg area.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 1, 2010

This is my second time back and this will always be the place I come back to when I stay in Fort Bragg. As a student of the Living Light Culinary School - it has been so perfect for me. I love it here so much because it feels like home away from home. The first time I stayed 5 weeks and this time only 10 days. Each room is totally different and special in it's own way. Last time i had a fabulous spacious room with a view to the skunk train. This time, I had a lovely ocean view from my room. My time here has always been special. The community is wonderful , and so is the owner. He is always friendly, helpful and concerned with making your stay as comfortable as possible. The Inn has a lot of character. It is a quirky, funky, "different", full-of-character, old building which used to be a hospital. If you are looking for luxury and new - this will not be the place for you! You must be the type of person who can appreciate the old and eccentric features of this Inn and to be open to meeting some amazing people as you pass through! As a Living Light student i was really able to appreciate the fact that Mike (the owner) has set up a rawfood kitchen upstairs for those of us that don't eat meat and who would like to prepare their own food. I also love the fact that i was able to go into his organic garden, pick what i wanted and prepare myself a juice or a salad whenever i wanted... or to sit in the middle of it on a chair and just appreciate the wild garden all around me. I was always excited to come back to the Inn after class, and was always comfortable. The kind of people that it attracts to also live and stay there (in general) is really unique and special and I have met many wonderful people who have since become friends. I would recommend the Inn to anyone who wants to have a relaxing vacation, and who does not need the luxuries of a fancy, new, spick and span up scale hotel. I would suggest that anyone who is planning to be a student at the Living Light Institute to stay here. It is only 2 blocks from the school and 2 blocks to the ocean. Just perfect!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank pipcheza
Reviewed August 28, 2010

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights in mid-August. We were very disappointed. Upon arrival, we found the outside of the "inn" extremely unkept... plants totally overgrown, weeds everywhere. We'd traveled all day, we were exausted,so decided to go inside and give it a try. Huge mistake. Our disappointment continued. The room was VERY overpriced, no heating in the rooms and the windows are very drafty and don't close all the way. The carpets are old and smell awful and the paint around the windows is old and peeling. The owner was very unfriendly and not helpful at all. We had a tiny television (maybe 12 inches) in the room and got very fuzzy, static reception. The breakfast was basically cold granola, fruit and toast. There were a few poached eggs and juice, but you served yourself and catered your own table. Although the "staff" (husband and wife) came in several times, no one spoke. I would never stay here again and would not recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple