“Wish this place were in my home town”

Laurel Deli & Desserts
Ranked #2 of 4 Dessert in Fort Bragg
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Reviewed June 14, 2014

Really good food!

We ate here twice during the time we stayed in Fort Bragg. We probably would have eaten here every day, except I did want to try some other restaurants in town! They are open for breakfast and lunch, until 3 pm.

The restaurant is casual and relaxing and a bit of fun with the locomotive right there in the room, plus some interesting old farm equipment attached to the ceiling rafters. Everybody was friendly and efficient. Service was great - we got Brian both times ;-)

Substitutions were no problem, and they gladly fix food to go. Portions are generous (the full size salads are *gigantic*) and prices are reasonable.

We tried:
fish-n-chips - very good
seasoned turkey sandwich - excellent
grilled chicken salad - excellent
chile - excellent
Reuben sandwich - excellent
soup - very good

We also bought a variety of baked goods to take home. I can't remember them all but we thought the Lemon Zucchini Muffins were super delicious. The cinnamon rolls were good, as was an Ollalaberry muffin. And then there were the cookies.... yumm!

There is nothing pretentious about this place, it's a family owned small town restaurant that serves good hearty food with a smile :-)

Try it, you'll be glad you did!

Parking note -- They are located right by the Skunk Train terminal, and there is a large parking lot there. There isn't really any RV parking unless the lot is not too full, and none for towed rigs. There is a side street at the north end of the parking lot where we saw a couple of trucks with trailers. I think that is Pine Street and it's maybe 150 yards away.

1  Thank half-Brit

Reviewed June 12, 2014

Went here for lunch before heading home. Loved everything we had. The sandwiches were great. They have a separate room off the main eating area which is nice for large parties or families. Will definitely come back when visiting Fort Bragg.

Reviewed April 15, 2014

My wife, Jeanne, and I just spent a 3-day "weekend" in Fort Bragg. On the second day we took the Skunk Train for the half-day excursion. We wanted to stop and get breakfast prior to departure time at 10:00 am. The Laurel is across the street from the depot and so was the perfect place.

When I walked in, my first thought was, "Oh no! A coffee bar!" I had visions of getting a Danish with as side of granola and good, but expensive, coffee for a breakfast to hold me though the day trip ahead.

Then I looked at the food on the plates of the customers and was comforted because what I saw was good, hearty, all-American comfort food. And everything I saw looked delicious.

Jeanne and I ordered. She got the breakfast croissant sandwich and I went for 2 pancakes (I'm always looking for the perfect pancake) and a side of link sausage. Our waitress was friendly and efficient--not chatty and smiley but pleasant and helpful. She said that we would easily make the train on time which was a little white lie (the "easily" part") as things tend to move a little bit slower at The Laurel.

Our coffee was refilled regularly as we waited for our breakfasts and I fretted a bit about the minutes ticking away. (I'm a worry wort.) When our plates came, I was astounded by the size and thickness of the two golden, steaming hotcakes in front of me. The sausages were huge--almost as big around as hotdogs and longer than your average breakfast link.

Jeanne's sandwich was piled with scrambled egg, lean ham and cheese, The croissant looked a bit soft and not crisp. This turned out to be the case and was one of the few disappointments of the meal. I was also a little disappointed in the amount of butter I got for my pancakes: Just one small ball for the two huge cakes. I could easily have used 2 butter balls on each one! (But that would be piggy, wouldn't it?)

Still, I used the butter I had and cut into the stack. The fork crunched a bit on the golden ring around the outside of the cakes and sank through the two soft cushions. I put the first bite in my mouth and was instantly in ecstasy! I had found them: The perfect pancakes. They are moist and thick. The texture is springy yet tender, There is a crispy edge around the outside. The flavor is perfect: Enough sweet and salt so they are not bland but not so sweet that they can be confused with dessert.

I am a syrup lover and am almost always let down in this department. There is only one kind of syrup as far as I am concerned and that is maple. Nothing turns me off faster that getting good pancakes only to find that they are served with that thick, sticky flavorless stuff called "pancake syrup" or some such.

The Laurel takes pride in their pancakes and they serve them with a good quality syrup. I won't guarantee that is is pure maple--I'm not that good at discerning--but it acts like real maple syrup and has enough maple in it to have the flavor.

The sausages had a wonderful, peppery flavor and were cooked perfectly.

Jeanne gave me a bite of her sandwich and I was impressed with the ham which was not too salty and excellent quality. The eggs and cheese were equally good and it all blended well into a pleasing bite. Sadly the croissant was lacking but in the humid Fort Bragg climate, crispy, flaky croissants may be impossible to find.

So do I recommend this place? Heck yes! Good quality. Good service. No Hype. Reasonable price. A fun place to eat. Okay, a bit slow. We made the train with about 4 minutes to spare: The Skunk is nothing if not punctual.

Go to The Laurel Deli. Take your time. Have a great breakfast.

Reviewed April 13, 2014

We had lunch and pie and were pleased with both. We liked the pie so much that we went back to pie a whole pie as a thank you to our babysitter.

Reviewed April 6, 2014

The pie! Took it back to our room for dessert! WOW. Someone really knows how to bake! Gotta get yourself there for that !