“do stay here”

Surf Motel and Gardens
Ranked #3 of 23 Hotels in Fort Bragg
Reviewed July 17, 2014

first time staying here and we didn't know what to expect.
drove onto property and struck by the fauna and flora of well manicured gardens.
room 145 boasted a microwave, a fridge, a shower with a seat, good water and water pressure, everything was clean and well maintained, the tv very nice and as a special treat the lights had dimmer switches.
reddy the manager was very kind / considerate and the room price was very reasonable
breakfast, though continental, was adequate. i'd give it five stars except for the styrofoam coffee cups. otherwise splendid. my wife and i will return.

Room Tip: corner room 145 was quiet and peaceful
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank ShineOn13

Reviewed July 15, 2014

The garden was very pretty. Staff was very helpful. The room was average size but very clean and neat. The bed was comfortable. It was nice we got parking right outside of our room. There where places to eat and places to shop close by. The price is fair compared to the other prices in the area for what you get. I would stay again

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Sarah L
Reviewed July 14, 2014

The staff was very nice and helpful. The grounds are just beautiful we loved all the different plants and flowers. The rooms are clean. Out of all the hotels in fort bragg this was far the best. We will always stay here when we visit again.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Tammy B
Reviewed July 14, 2014

We go every year with about 35 people and take the south side (every Room) Reddy and Sara are the best host that we have had at any motel they will be missed because of the sale but will not stop us from staying at the beautiful garden motel

Room Tip: all room that We have stayed in have been great
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Denee B B
Reviewed July 13, 2014

This was our first stop on a long road trip up the coast. It is a typical motel. Room was clean and neat, and bed was very comfortable. A good "traveling through" location. Staff were friendly and breakfast was better than average. We would stay again.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 12, 2014

We were tired, wanted a place to stay fast and stopped here, the first place we saw that looked reasonable. With a walk-in quote of $99 king, $109 two doubles, we first opted for doubles, since we were with our friends who wanted connecting rooms and those were the ones with the connecting door. Things almost fell apart at this point. We went to our rooms where there were "neighbors" complete with dogs, portable chairs, and frozen meat propped up against their truck tire. They were just having a little tail gate party it appeared and were simply having a few beers under our friend's room window. Directly under the window. This wasn't going to do.

Back to the office we went where were were happily switched to 2 king rooms on the other side of the building. We went back and gathered our stuff and moved out, possibly startling our new non-"neighbors". LOL No offer was ever made to switch us back to the $99 a night charge and we didn't ask. We were happy with the price and our new location.

Walking into the rooms was a throw back in time. I haven't seen rooms decorated like this since the 60s. Each room had slightly different furnishings. Remember, we saw 4 rooms during this time. The bathrooms had decorative formica counters which worked for us as you can see in my photos. :) Each room has a mini-fridge, some showing a little rust with age, but working. There is no air-conditioning in these rooms but fortunately it was cool enough outside to cool off the rooms with the open windows before going to sleep.

I'd likely have given an average rating but the grounds were absolutely beautiful. The gardens are unbelievable and must require tremendous work and upkeep which is definitely being done. Also, the people who own this motel, and who work here, and are very charming and pleasant people. I have to admit the rooms, in spite of the time period and style, were very clean. I had a wonderful night's sleep on the comfortable, supportive, but not to hard mattress.

The bathroom lighting was very good. The shower volume was low. The wifi signal existed but was nearly non-functional. With a cell phone, I was able to check my email, get directions, or anything else I really needed to do. With no cell phone, you'd likely not be happy.

The breakfast was included, it wasn't elaborate, but it was sufficient to get us going. The man at the next table handed my friend his "card". The sweet man actually handed her a heaven tract.

I have to admit we had an interesting and memorable stay here. The price for the night's stay was certainly fair. I don't think I'd stay here again though. In fact, I'd probably move on from Fort Bragg and stay somewhere else for the night. Of course, in retrospect, I wouldn't have done it any other way this time. It was fun. We were talking about this hotel with our friends for the rest of our month of traveling together.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank mommabean
Reviewed July 6, 2014

The staff of the hotel are warm and friendly! Genuinely nice people. The motel was clean with comfortable beds. A little noisy if you stay close to the street. The breakfast was what you would expect from a motel. I went on a holiday weekend and feel it was way overpriced. All that being said the only reason I stayed here was because everything else was booked. I usually don't stay in motels these days. However if I am going to stay in a motel I hope it meets the standards of the Surf motel only at a much cheaper cost.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
North Cliff Hotel
North Cliff Hotel
#5 of 23 in Fort Bragg
The Beachcomber Motel and Spa on the Beach

Been to Surf Motel and Gardens? Share your experiences!