“Do not pay more than $50.00 to stay here.” 2 of 5 stars

and 1 more site!
Oceanside Inn & Suites
Ranked #20 of 22 Hotels in Fort Bragg
kelseyville
“Do not pay more than $50.00 to stay here.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

Only good thing about this place is you can have your dogs. We paid $200.00 and totally not worth it. This is at best a $50.00 room. Queen size bed was old and room decor is very outdated and small. No in room coffee maker. They advertise evening snacks...it consisted of dollar store cookies...period. Windows were so old that it wouldn't stay open. I propped it up with a box of Kleenex.

• Stayed July 2014
3 Thank mannings71
oceansideinnandsuite, Webmaster at Oceanside Inn & Suites, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thanks for your comments. I’m sorry that you weren’t satisfied with the quality of rooms and our amenities. We satisfy hundreds of guests every month, and it’s unfortunate we couldn’t satisfy you. Still, we’re involved in a continuous improvement process and will use these comments to help us further improve. We hope you will give us another chance soon.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Pacifica, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

The hotel is on the older side, but the price was right. Old flooring and bedding, but the rooms were clean and big. They came with a microwave and mini-fridge. The staff was very kind and gave us a refund for one night when we had to cut our vacation short, even though it was a no refund purchase.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Stockton, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

Maybe I'm an amateur traveler but it shocks me the prices these old rundown motels get. Pictures were deceiving. The room was clean however the bed did not have a fitted sheet which exposed the mattress which I rather not have seen. The TV was missing the audio cable from the DirectTV box to the TV so the sound didn't work. There was no shampoo provided. The lobby smelled of mold and musk.

Housekeeping goes from room to room using a stolen shopping cart which could use some grease on the wheels.

However, it is within walking distance to Glass Beach.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank VIP7844
oceansideinnandsuite, Webmaster at Oceanside Inn & Suites, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Dear Guest,

I appreciate your comments, although I can’t condone some of the accusations you make. We take great pride in this property. While there’s always room for improvement, we’re pleased to satisfy dozens of guests every week. I sincerely apologize that your case is an exception and that we failed to satisfy you. I hope you will try us again as we’re always changing and improving.

Travelers are raving about these Fort Bragg hotels

Oroville, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

I think it's a bit confusing to read such varying reviews - It was awful/it was great. I'm going to try to post facts instead of opinion - for the most part anyway :). I'm hoping that will help people make the decision on their own.

I did rate the property as poor, based upon what I think the average traveler is looking for in the many reviews of many hotels that I have read, and the many hotels I have stayed at. This is no "resort", to say the least. Having said that....

I'll start out with what we perceived to be the negative: As my daughter stated," the walls are softer than the beds" (she was half joking) - the wall behind the bed(s) is padded. But that's all about personal choice. The bed was comfortable for me, but not for her. On the last day of our two-day visit, I discovered that the bed frames are just two-by-fours nailed together. OK. Kind of tacky in my "opinion", but It does the job of supporting the bed. The real problem was the nail that was sticking out of one of the two-by-four braces between the box spring and the hand-made frame. Someone could cut themselves on that pretty easily. I'll post a pic if there is a way to do so. The wallpaper trim around the top perimeter of the room was in three different patterns and was falling off in some areas. The cover over the exhaust fan in the bathroom was broken and falling off as well. The switch on the lamp on the nightstand between the two queen beds was stripped and we couldn't turn it on or off. I brought a power strip because of the reviews I had read about the rooms not having enough power outlets. I was glad I did. It took us several tries the first day to get into the room with the key they give you (think of the key you use to get into your house, versus a "key" with a magnetic strip on it). I could care less what type of key I use to enter a room, but it's kind of nice to be able to enter the room on one try! LOL. The staff - I've read other reviews about how helpful and kind they were. I didn't have that experience. The two men were intimidating and impersonal - at check-in and check-out. But maybe it was me after having driven in the car for four hours with 3 of my children and one dog ;) No laundry facilities. There was an ice machine that I didn't use. Next to the ice machine was a soda machine and everything was sold out. No pool, no spa - if you are looking for those things.

The good: Cheap. Close to town, yet on the outskirts - so away from most of the traffic and noise. Close to Glass Beach, Pudding Creek, necessary amenities, and an awesome burger joint - Jenny's, I think. Inexpensive room that does the job if you are just there to sleep and shower only. It was very quiet in room 104, except for the birds making noise and scratching around in the attic, right over the shower. BUT, they quieted down at night, so that was good. I felt safe there, and that is my number ONE concern. The Wi-Fi and TV were satisfactory. The wall heater worked great and the door locked tight.

In MY opinion - this property could do some real business, if they put some effort into the little things - replacing the broken exhaust fan cover and gluing the wall paper trim - things like that. They had just finished repaving the main area of the parking lot. I guess that's supposed to attract people who are driving through without a reservation. They could really get repeat customers (again, in my opinion) if they paid a little more attention to the inside, instead of the outside.

Would I stay here again? Yes, I would - if I needed a quick getaway on the cheap. It's no four-star property, for sure, but again, my main concern is safety, and I felt safe at this property.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
5 Thank Lady_Guest577
oceansideinnandsuite, Webmaster at Oceanside Inn & Suites, responded to this review, June 24, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thanks for your thorough and fair comments. We use all comments as part of our continual improvement efforts. Still, I sincerely apologize to you for any ways we fell short of meeting or exceeding your expectations. Dozens of guests every week find us to be a great combination of comfort, convenience and value, and we hope you will indeed stay with us again.

Carmichael, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014 via mobile

We found a room for our family of 6 using Booking.com and reserved 3 nights here, specifically booking the 3 queen beds in one room. It would be the perfect fit for my parents, my husband & I, and our 2 small children. Based on reading some mixed reviews, we knew the accommodations wouldn't be plush-- & we were fine with a mediocre room because we wouldn't be in the room much being that we had several outings planned. After driving 5 hours from the Sacramento area to Fort Bragg... I was fine with the registration area curry odor & unusual East Indian decor upon check-in, however, I wasn't too pleased with the unpleasant staff member that ran my card & had me sign our room forms. He didn't have a greeting/salutation/kind word to share the entire time I was in there. So, we then make our way to the room. The configuration was fine, 2 beds in one room, & another bed through an entryway- but then we realized the beds were full size, not queens as advertised. After phoning down to the office, and being told by the owner/mngr, "...no, you're wrong, those are queens", we pulled a bed back and found the tag stating it was a full & shared that with him. The mngr. then walked over to our room & gave us a key to a second room with a king sized bed for my parents. Initially, he told us we could only stay that night & we'd have to find somewhere else to stay... after my husband got really upset, being that we had no other reservations & a family of 6, the mngr. finally agreed to let us stay in the 2 rooms for all 3 nights. After the initial shock of the aged looking room, furniture, staining of walls & fabrics, the stay ended up being ok. The beds were definitely for young folks' backs-- very poor quality beds--however, the pillows were comfy. The maid service was great & all linens appeared to be clean. This place's digs aren't for the faint at heart, but it was a place to keep our things & get some shut eye.

Stayed June 2014
3 Thank NeilHillary
Dear Guest,

Thanks for your comments. We use all comments in our continuous improvement efforts, and this feedback will prove to be very valuable to us. I’m sorry there was some difficulty meeting your needs, but I’m glad we were able to provide clean, comfortable and safe accommodations for you and your family. We hope you will be able to come stay with us again. We promise that we’re always improving, getting better and better every day.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

We just stayed here this past weekend and like the hotel. If you are expecting a room with an amazing view or a huge breakfast, then this is not it. Our room looked out at the ocean, on a clear day you could see it. Just a few minutes from Glass Beach, not a bad walk. The room was the perfect size for just us, we had a fridge and microwave. There were 3 dressers, plenty of room for our stuff. The bathroom window was broken, but still able to be used (the spring was popped out of place). Hair dryers are available upon request from the front desk. I did read some of the reviews, the only smell we encountered was from the propane wall heater. If you are not familiar with the smell of propane, then it does come as a weird smell. The breakfast was small, but we expected that; they had danishes, muffins, toast, coffee, and orange juice. The only problem we had, noisy neighbors who yelled across the lot early in the morning. Staff was friendly each time we encountered them, the hotel does show its age; but with all the wind and salt water, plus it is an older motel; it's still not bad.

Room Tip: Just be aware not every room has a view and if it is foggy, you may not see the ocean.