“Worst motel of my life”

Ranked #17 of 23 Hotels in Fort Bragg
Clearlake, California, United States
“Worst motel of my life”
Reviewed May 31, 2012

This motel is not worth your money. I spent $152 dollars on the most basic room they had and the moment I walked in the room I knew i made a big mistake. First of all there was no one in the office and i had to stand in there for 15 min before someone walked in, the room was small, the pillows were flat as a pancake, the bathroom sink had ants all over it, the shower head was broken, there was no continental breakfast of any kind and the bed made my back hurt for the next week and a half. The website shows this amazing spa-like motel but it is NOTHING like the website. Their hottub was even lukewarm at the hottest. I will never go there again.

Room Tip: I would ask to see inside a room before you pre book one.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Pleasant Hill, California
Reviewed April 30, 2012

I had no idea that a place so affordable would give you such level of service and and be healthy for you too. Fort Bragg has been a favorite place to just get away for some time. I am used to my standards, but this time i decided to try something new and affordable, i truly had a peaceful and wonderful experience with this clean and healthy spa, rite off the main highway. The lady who runs this place is what truly gives this place it's flavor, because the menu she has to offer her guests is second to none. It's a very well balanced korean fusion dishes that will surprise you.
we have already made plans to go back in two moths.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
San Francisco, California
Reviewed March 29, 2012

The highlight of going to this spa is cleansing from the inside out. The owner/chef creates innovative cuisine with the focus is on fresh local organic produce. She is also well educated in alternative health practices and offers many beneficial health/spa services. I left glowing...

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed March 14, 2012

sorry, but if your spending some time with the family, you do NOT want to spend time in this old strip mall looking motel.

the room was small and cramped, and for 100 dollars you would think youd get more.

my wife was disgusted by the dirt that was in the bathroom. she was so angry at me for choosing here.
the service was...... i'll let you see for yourself... you WILL, if you dont take my advice and keep on driving!

Room Tip: keep driving!
2 Thank donald p

Travelers are raving about these Fort Bragg hotels

Jamestown, California
Reviewed February 13, 2012

My Girl friend and I (including her boston terrier), had a terrific visit at the coast inn and Spa. The room was very clean and comfortable. The owner even turned the fireplace on before we arrived.The room looked just like the photos online. We stayed in the master suite room with the hot tub. The stay was quiet , romantic and comfortable. And especially with the price and being able to bring her dog along. The owner was friendly and hospitable, she even met Bradley ( my gf's dog). Look here's the deal after booking the room, and then reading some of the nasty reviews about the place, I was leary about the staying, wondering what I got myself into. I was more than pleased with the room we stayed in. Dont believe all these dummy's that post bad reviews about this place. No its not the four seasons, but come on people its FORT BRAGG CA. I used to abalone dive here when I was a kid. and there was never a four seasons in the town. The place is a jewel in the little town. All you haters out there come on really. Also had a teriffic valentines dinner at Silvers at the warf. Had to pay for it, but the meal was terriffic.

Ko Samui, Thailand
Reviewed January 18, 2012

Me and my mom had a great experience in staying at the place during our trip to Fort Bragg. The owner, Chong, does her best to create a home atmosphere and treat her gests on friendly and respectful manner. We were very graetful to have healthy (vegan, with a lot of greens and vegetables) dinner and breakfast made by Chong and her mother prepared from organic and fresh food from their garden. We were even given alkilizing water. Also, we were pleased to stay at the place that is run on the sustainable and green way. The room was clean and nice. We even decided to stay for extra night while visiting Fort Bragg.Thank you!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Chico
Reviewed December 11, 2011

Check-in - Check-in went smoothly and about 30 minutes after checking in the owner called the room and, although the CaPhe (cafe) was closed, told me she had made some potstickers for me if I would like to try them. I went to the CaPhe and she had prepared potstickers, a small fresh, locally harvested seaweed salad, and some inn-grown spicy pickled radishes, all complimentary. The food was delicious. Everything went downhill from there.

Room - Stayed in room 21.
The room was very cold at 5:00 PM check-in and with the undersized heater, I was still wearing my jacket until I went to sleep at 11:00 P.M.
Voices from the neighboring room were loud and disruptive. Oddly, when the neighbor used their cell phone on speaker it was perfectly clear and intelligible in our room.
Mildew and peeling wood paneling in the shower. An old piece of tupperware used to prop up the back of the toilet.
Mini-fridge did not keep food cold even at maximum setting.
Website claims that room has a flat screen TV. It was an old CRT TV.
Bed was very comfortable.

Pets - Website claims the inn is "pet friendly" and gives no special rules for pets. After leaving my dog alone in the room for a couple hours, the owner came to tell me that I cannot leave my pet alone at any time. This was not explained on the website, when I called her to make the reservations, or when I checked in. She stated it is in the guest directory in the room. I reviewed the guest directory and she is right. The directory states there will be a $250 fee if you leave your pet unattended, and an additional $250 fee if your pet goes to the bathroom anywhere on the property. (Not $250 if your pet goes to the bathroom in the room, or $250 if you don't clean up their mess. Apparently its a $250 fee just to pee on the grass.)

Hot Tub - At check-in (Wednesday) I asked about the hot tub and the owner stated it was just cleaned and refilled on Tuesday and won't be warm until Thursday. Frustrating but acceptable. On Thursday the hot tub was just tolerably warm enough to use. I understand it takes a while to heat up so I was looking forward to it finally being hot on Friday. On Friday I tried to go in at 9:15 PM and found the hot tub to be very cold. I asked the owner about it and she said she had turned it off at 9:00 PM, but it will be hot in the morning. There is no way that the hot tub got so cold just from being off for 15 minutes. Tried to go in Saturday at 7:00 PM and it was cold again. If the hot tub is broken, just tell me. Don't keep promising it will be hot soon.

Alkalizing Water - The owner kept suggesting I let her fill my water bottle with her special alkalizing water. I let her fill my stainless steel bottle the first night. Drank most of it and it tasted fine. The next morning the water left in the bottle had a foul smell and taste. I've never had that problem with tap water in that bottle. I don't know what she does to alkalize the water but it seemed potentially unsafe to drink any more of it.

Wi-Fi - I was able to connect without a problem, but it was so slow as to be completely unusable. Basic web pages took minutes to load and mostly just timed out with errors.

Check-out - I was concerned about extra fees being added so I wanted to personally check out rather than just leaving the keys in the room. Check out was at 11:00 AM. I tried to check out at 10:00 AM and there was a sign on the door that the office was closed until 11:45. Now I'll have to keep an eye on my credit card statement to see if a couple $250 pet fees show up.

I would not stay here again and would not recommend anyone else do so.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
#11 of 23 in Fort Bragg
North Cliff Hotel
North Cliff Hotel
#5 of 23 in Fort Bragg

Been to Coast Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!