“Outstanding in every way”
Review of North Cliff Hotel

North Cliff Hotel
Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Fort Bragg
Reviewed August 28, 2010

We moved to this hotel our second night in Fort Bragg because of a bad experience the first night. What a difference. For a few dollars more, we went from a motel 6 type of experience to sheer heaven.
The rooms are large, beautiful, modern, clean, and all have a beautiful view of the ocean. We stayed two nights and were given a 10% discount for multiple nights.
Excellent in every way.
We will stay here every time we visit relatives in Fort Bragg.

1  Thank 2BizzyTravlin

Reviewed August 23, 2010

This is a wonderful hotel to stay in. All the workers are considerate and helpful. The view from the balcony was great. Even when it was foggy it was great to sit outside and enjoy the food and coffee the hotel left for us. And the gas fireplace and sitting area was so comfortable to sit and read and warm up. We will certainly stay here again. Even without an elevator my 80 year old sister made it up to the third floor everyday just fine.

• Stayed: August 2010
Reviewed August 16, 2010

North Cliff was exceptional. Service was excelent! Justin, at the front desk was pleasant, knowledgable, and picked just the right room for us. Would highly recommend to friends, and would stay nowhere else in Fort Bragg. Wonderful!

1  Thank jlp3501
Reviewed August 16, 2010

My husband and I recently visited Fort Bragg for a weekend getaway. After a lot of searching and comparing of hotels we decided on the North Cliff. It was so much better than we ever expected. Justin helped us when we checked in and was so great! Very friendly and helpful. He went above and beyond to make sure we had everything we needed for a pleasant weekend. Our room was on the second floor and had an amazing view of the ocean and the harbor. The room and bathroom were very spacious and very clean. We had a gas fireplace in our room that added a lot to the ambiance and actually heated up the room very well. You didn't even need the heater. They left a continental breakfast in the room every day. It was very plentiful with fruit, a croissant, a muffin, some cheese, chocolate and jam. They also give you 2 bottles of juice and 2 bottles of water complimentary. It was great. In most hotels you have to pay for anything extra you take. The balcony with chairs was just the right size and made for a great spot to sit and watch the sunset or enjoy breakfast.
The only negative thing I can possibly say is that the decor is a tiny bit outdated. New paint and new bedspreads would make a world of difference, but otherwise it was outstanding and we'll definitely stay at the North Cliff again.

Reviewed August 16, 2010

It could be because we weren't expecting much considering that it is way up north of SF. We already read that there's "nothing" in Fort Bragg but we stayed there so we could do day trips north and south of it. We did not have trouble finding the hotel and it was almost 12 midnight when we arrived. The office was closed but they left an envelope with the keycards on it on the door. So after an exhausting drive, we didn't have problems immediately going to our room which was on the 2nd floor. The room was big, and clean. Very nice view of the entrance to the harbor and the ocean. I would usually sit on the balcony early in the morning with my coffee and just watch the boats go by. Or just listen to the waves. It had been foggy when we were there but it usually started to clear up by mid morning. Foghorns didn't bother us at all. We had good nights sleep. The location is right by Highway 1. So it's accessible to where we want to go. We went to the Mendocino Coast Botanical Gardens, the Humboldt State Park, the beaches, quaint towns, highway 128 where vineyards, orchards and redwoods line the road, etc.

The free breakfast wasn't bad either. We reheated ours in the microwave at defrost for 3 minutes and it's warm. The bath products are by bath and bodyworks. Morning paper. To top it all off, it has a walk in shower which I always prefer than a bathtub/shower. Housekeeping was excellent and fast.

My only issue was they recommended the restaurant next door, cliff house. I would not recommend that. Overpriced and the salmon that my husband ordered was inedible. He didn't eat it and was not charged for it. The service was poor as well.

Also the parking at the hotel can be tight at times.

Reviewed July 19, 2010

We booked here skeptically after reading some of the reviews. Our usual overnight hotel (Ocean View Lodge) only accepts 2 days minimum and we were in town just for the day. Our room at North Cliff exceeded our expectations. Upon check in, the staff was courteous and informed us of the complimentary items within the room and made recommendations for dinner. We were delighted to find that the room was clean, spacious, and the view from our balcony was breathtaking. Our jacuzzi sat right at the window overlooking the bay as well. Loved the in room Wi-Fi. The only downfall: their check in time is 4, which was a bummer for us because we drove 5 hours in traffic to get there. Furthermore, I was disappointed that it was NOT nearby the 17 mile trail as Ocean View Lodge sits directly upon it. I am however recommending this place to family and friends. No doubt, we will return here again.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HopelessRomantic75
Reviewed July 15, 2010

It's a good thing that I checked out what this hotel looks like before the trip or we would have missed it. Not much in signage coming from the north.
Upon checking in I was afraid that this was a pretentious hotel that thought more of itself than it had to offer.Maybe it was the warning on the parking pass that alerted us to a $25 fee if the hang tag wasn't returned.
After lugging our suitcases three stories we opened our room to find dated furniture but an awesome view of the bay. (we opted for the king room without the hottub) Since I am such a princess, I was almost ready to turn around but noticed how clean everything was. 80's isn't so bad if it's clean and in good shape. I was especially impressed with the high end amenities and the cleanliness of the bathroom.
The continental breakfast is in the fridge and it's a good idea to get it out a little early. Maybe not 'that morning' fresh but they don't skimp on quality. High end jam, cheese and juices. I'm sure that they could do it much cheaper so the breakfast was nice.
So this place that offers a little extra, notes that there is a dollar charge for the in-room safe. Cummon guys, add it to the room rate or throw it in. It didn't work anyway and I had to take my belongings to dinner with me.
As for the sand pit, it seems to be local entertainment for the four wheelers with nothing to do. Not quite an eyesore and maybe a little entertainment for the guests that saw the white truck that barely avoided a roll over when getting stuck on the ridge.
All in all, I'd probably rate this place a five if it was updated (did I mention the VCR? I don't even know where you get tapes for a VCR any more) but four stars on the northern coast is a great find.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple