“Better than we expected” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of North Cliff Hotel

North Cliff Hotel
Ranked #5 of 22 Hotels in Fort Bragg
Elk Grove, California
“Better than we expected”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2014

We booked on a special, based on the views in the advertisements.
The room - clean, spacious, comfortable furniture, GREAT view from the window and the balcony. Nice little fridge and microwave, large flat screen TV. Real coffee maker that accepts real filters and coffee (we always bring our own). Nice amenities: robes, big towels for the spa-tub and the gas fireplace. Free WiFi worked well and broadband was fairly fast.
The staff: helpful and friendly.
Minor problems: The binder had instructions for the "VCR" - it has a Blu-Ray player. We figured out how to get it to work, (probably would have been faster to call and ask). Instructions need to be updated. There was half-and-half in the fridge but we didn't know it - first time we've had that - would be nice to have a little sign to tell us.

And we liked the fog horn...

Room Tip: An upper story room would have an even better view.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Gregg N
NCHotel, General Manager at North Cliff Hotel, responded to this review, May 4, 2014
I'm very happy to hear how much you enjoyed your stay! We do provide some amazing amenities. Our goal is to make sure your stay is as comfortable as possible.

Thank you for your feedback on the guest book. We will definitely update the instructions for the Blu-ray player.

I appreciate you taking the time to send your comments. We look forward to seeing you again!

Sharon Davis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
Vacaville, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2014

Nice place..great rooms. Needs better parking., if you arrive in evening, tough to find a place to park. The breakfast is weak, more variety of pastries. Front desk ladies could not have been better. Thank you!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank chris l
I'm so glad you enjoyed the rooms and I will be sure to share your feedback with the front desk staff!

We are currently working on expanding our parking. Thank you for your feedback on the breakfast selection. We try to have a variety for everyone but it's difficult to please everyone!

I hope to see you again!

San Ramon, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2014

The newly remodeled rooms are fabulous and the views can't be beat. Sitting on the private balcony watching the sunset is magical. The staff is very friendly and helpful. Love the new breakfast served upstairs with many choices from hard boiled eggs, waffles, oatmeal, cereals yogurt and more. Thumbs up to all the new changes and additions and with TravelZoo deals a great value. Will be back soon.

Room Tip: All rooms great but higher floors have better views. No elevators and lots of stairs so be ready for...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gloria P
NCHotel, General Manager at North Cliff Hotel, responded to this review, March 16, 2014
It was so nice to welcome you to the North Cliff again! I'm so happy that you liked all of the changes we've made. We're very proud of how the remodel came out. We'll look forward to seeing you again soon!

Fresno, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2014

My wife took advantage of a special offer for a short "get-away". Our room was spacious, well-appointed and the gas fireplace made for a "cozy" atmosphere while watching the pounding surf on a stormy day. The staff was extremely courteous and helpful with information. A complaint, beyond the hotel control, is that the fog horn off the coast sounded about every 30 seconds throughout the day and night. Closing the sliding door muffles the sound of the horn but then you lose the soothing sound of the surf. In the future, this will be my first choice of accommodations when I head to Ft. Bragg.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Bill D
I'm so glad that you enjoyed our newly remodeled rooms. I will pass your comments along to the front desk staff as they pride themselves on making our guests feel welcome and comfortable.

Thank you for choosing the North Cliff as your first choice in Fort Bragg! We will look forward to your next visit.

Rio Vista, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2014

We have absolutely no complaints. The remodel of this hotel is a complete success. The rooms look beautiful, clean and provide any amenity you could ask for. The view is stunning and sitting on the balcony watching the boats come in and out with a hot cup of coffee each morning was delightful! The staff was very friendly and accommodating. We thought the continental breakfast was more than adequate and tasty. We will be back every year to celebrate my birthday at this hotel and who knows maybe a time or two in between!!

Room Tip: This photo is the view from our room #107. Spectacular!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
NCHotel, General Manager at North Cliff Hotel, responded to this review, March 1, 2014
Wow! I'm so pleased that you had a fabulous stay with us!

Thank you for your comments. We're very excited about the remodel, it was a lot of work but we also think the rooms came out beautifully!

We'll look forward to seeing you again for your birthday trip (and hopefully sooner!).

Thank you for staying with us.

Palm Desert, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2014

After reading the reviews in the terrible section I have to say it was not that bad.
However, when I made my reservation I read that parking was limited and I would be assigned a parking spot. After checking in I asked about the parking since my husband has a medical disability. She took me to the window and showed where I was to park. For two nights when we arrived back to the hotel our parking space was used. The second night we had to park on the check in level. I was told upon checkout that they were full the night before and did not have enough parking. What happened to my parking space I was assigned.?
The rooms have been renovated and they where very nice. We had a dog friendly room. The one chair did smell, however, we care spray with us. Very nice to provide juice. Even though we were on the bottom floor and under the bridge we could not hear any noise and no one was sleeping under the bridge.
I would stay again only if I was guaranteed a second floor room and I had a assigned parking space.

Room Tip: Ask for the second level. This is where the cars park. Don't stay out late. You won't get...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Patricia S
NCHotel, General Manager at North Cliff Hotel, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Thank you for your feedback, I appreciate it.

I apologize for the confusion on the parking. We do not assign parking spaces and guests can park anywhere they like. I'm very sorry if that was not made clear when you checked in.

Our remodel is now complete and all rooms have brand new furniture and carpet.

I hope we will see you again the next time you visit the coast!
Reno, Nevada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2014

I am reviewing this stay as not to expectations. The main reason I booked through Trip Advisor was due to the many positive reviews and feedback from others. Our stay however, was not as fortunate. When we checked in, the room temperature was 78 degrees (in January). I called the front office thinking that there must air conditioning units, but there were none – only a box fan. I don’t know, perhaps A/C is not typical for on the coast units and I haven’t stayed there in the summer. The sofa and chairs showed their age as they were visibly soiled, stained and not very comfortable. The continental breakfast was rather basic and juices quite watery.

To end on a positive note, the view is wonderful, the bathroom and carpet was very clean. The staff was friendly and check-in/out process was fast and easy. Sorry North Cliff - all said and done, this stay was no more pleasurable than a middle of the road chain hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Steve G
Thank you for taking the time to send your comments. I appreciate your valuable feedback. We have just finished a complete remodel of the entire property. All rooms have elegant new furniture and carpet. I encourage you to view the new photos here on Tripadvisor.

I hope you will visit us again and give us the opportunity to exceed your expectations.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fort Bragg
#8 of 22 in Fort Bragg
Beach House Inn
Beach House Inn
#10 of 22 in Fort Bragg

Been to North Cliff Hotel? Share your experiences!