“It was meant to be!”

North Cliff Hotel
Ranked #4 of 23 Hotels in Fort Bragg
“It was meant to be!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

Background: My family and I had to quickly book a room the night before our stay. Sharon was very helpful and we were fortunate enough to get the last room available for 4 on a Friday night. We dropped in before check-in & were delighted that our room was ready for us. Alison was very pleasant and professional, answering our questions and giving sound advice. The view from our room was great and we loved hearing the foghorn! (note: it goes all night so be prepared). We couldn't have asked for a better experience: the staff, the room, and our stay exceeded our expectations!

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank MissLead5000
NCHotel, General Manager at North Cliff Hotel, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to post your comments. I'm so pleased to hear that you had such a wonderful experience! I will be sharing your feedback with our front desk staff, they'll be very happy to know that they exceeded your expectations.

I hope we will see you again soon at the North Cliff!

-Kristin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
NOVATO , CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013

After reading some of the negative reviews about this hotel, I will admit I was a little hesitant. Well forget about them. This hotel is quite nice. We stayed in a suite with a jacuzzi and fireplace. Let me tell you that there is no better way to end the day than relaxing in the jacuzzi watching the fireplace. Amazingly refreshing.

Let's start with the drive out from the San Francisco bay area. Make the time to stop at the wineries in Anderson Valley on the way out. There are some really nice ones in the towns of Booneville and Philo. Not quite as nice as Napa or Sonoma wineries , but Mendocino has some nice ones. Then you continue on a long rolling drive thru the redwood trees only to emerge on the Mendocino coastline. WOW, what a drive along the coastline.

North Cliff Hotel is on a hillside overlooking the entrance to Noyo Harbor. Yes, there is a foghorn that sounds regularly. Gee, who would have guessed that while at the ocean you may get some maritime type noises. If the foghorn bothers you at all, then you gearing is quite acute. To me at least , it was not loud by any means, never an nuisance. I actually really enjoyed looking out the balcony hearing the sounds of the waves splashing, seagulls squawking ad yes, the foghorn sounding. Those are some of the joys of coming to the coast.

Our room was large and quite comfortable. One of the best nights of sleep I've had for awhile. It had a wonderful view of the entrance to the Noyo Harbar. The hotel sits next to a bridge, our room actually sat under the bridge. Traffic noise was never an issue. You overlook the cliffs of the opposite side of the Harbar, the kelp beds surround the cliff area. The view is beautiful.

Our room had a fridge, jacuzzi , fireplace, balcony with a view and a comfortable bed. What more could I ask for.

As far as anything negative about this hotel , it's not perfect, but what is. We were able to hear water draining thru the pipes. So what.. The decor is a little dated. So what. The furniture could use a refreshing update. That seems nit picking to me. I'm not living here, just spending a night.

Overall, I thought this hotel was excellent for what I wanted.

Room Tip: Do yourself a favor, get a room with a jacuzzi and fireplace. Romantic and relaxing.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank markbaines
NCHotel, General Manager at North Cliff Hotel, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Wow! I want to say that I really appreciate that you took the time to write such a thorough review. I'm very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope you will be able to visit us again soon! We are going to be renovating the rooms very shortly so in addition to all of the positive things you experienced, next time you visit you will most likely be able to add "brand new rooms" to your list!

Thanks again for your feedback.

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

We stayed there and loved it. So much that we also bought a package for my SIL and BIL for their anniversary. One night's stay and a $50 voucher for the Cliff House Restaurant. We were assured that there was no expiry date. So my SIL and BIL check in and then find out that they will no longer honour the voucher for the restaurant. They are no longer affiliated with the restaurant. So they offered us a discount of 15% for a future stay. On a $175 room that's only $26.25. At the end of the day we are out $50 for which they are not willing to make full amends. From this reason we will never stay there agin and will tell our family that often stays in Fort Bragg to find other accommodations. Very disappointed.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Danny M
NCHotel, Guest Relations Manager at North Cliff Hotel, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
We are very glad you enjoyed our property enough to want to share it with your friends and family by purchasing them a gift certificate. Unfortunately, yes we were not able to honor the package you had purchased as we no longer can offer that package, thus the gift certificate became worth the cash value paid for it and that amount can be used at anytime.

We are very sorry for the confusion and are pleased we came to an agreement and hope to see you and your family back again soon.

Marina
Guest Services Manager
Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013

We stopped at the North Cliff Hotel on our way as we headed north up the coast, and we were very pleasantly surprised. The view was lovely. Our rooms were clean. The staff could not have been more pleasant or helpful. The furniture and decor is dated but our rooms were clean. They had our refrigerators stocked with juices, water bottles and a tray of muffins, apples & yogurt for breakfast which was just fine to start our day.

Room Tip: Our room was in the lower section and away from the road so we did not hear any traffic.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Pat_Tom1
NCHotel, General Manager at North Cliff Hotel, responded to this review, July 20, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to send your feedback, I appreciate it! I'm so pleased that you had such a wonderful stay! I've shared your comments with the front desk staff, they pride themselves on making our guests feel welcomed and comfortable.

We look forward to seeing you again at the North Cliff!

Bielefeld, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

Coming down the pacific coast from Eureka, my son and me spent a night in this beautiful hotel. We got one of the rooms with the jacuzzi and the fireplace beneath where you can have this spectacular view over the bay and its icecold waters while being in a warm and cozy place...the rest of the room is good quality level. We received a promo pricing making our stay a real bargain. Also the ladies at the front desk did their part to make it all perfect They were overall very friendly and recommending to us a very good dining place at Noyo harbour (Silver`s at the wharf). For me, there`s no better place to stay at the Mendocino coast.

Room Tip: There is only one choice - pickt the one with the jacuzzi and the accompanied fireplace!!!!!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Maetti B
NCHotel, General Manager at North Cliff Hotel, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to post your comments. I'm so happy to hear that you were so pleased with your stay. I've shared your comments with the front desk staff, they really pride themselves on making our guests feel welcome.

We look forward to seeing you again!

Galt, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

After a long day of travel, it was late and we needed to rest. This hotel had mixed reviews. Some people rave about it and others downgrade it. BELIEVE THE BAD REVIEWS! This is one of the worst hotels that I have ever stayed in. We checked in and the room looked very dated. We were hunry, so we went down the street to dinner. When we returned we were ready for bed. I pulled back the sheets and the bottom sheet was stained with God knows what. So now it's 10:00 at night, so we slept on top of the top sheet. We then threw the blankets on the floor because we figured they had probably never been washed. I turned up the thermostat on tthe wall because we were cold. Oh, THAT'S RIGHT, IT IS NOT HOOKED UP TO ANYTHING! Nowe we are cold and mad. So I kicked on the fireplace that had a timer that klicked like a timebomb. I sat on the couch and it stunk like urine. Pets?? Who knows. The carpet was stained in multiple places. This made us afraid to walk on the rug. The furniture was about 25 years old. We would have slept better in our car. What a rip-off! KEEP DRIVING!

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mbhill62
I'm very sorry to hear that our hotel did not meet your expectations. Our housekeeping staff normally does an excellent job and I will be addressing this issue with them.

Our thermostat controls the radiant heated floor, which is how our rooms are heated in addition to the gas fireplace. Heated floors do take a few minutes to heat up.

We also have a very strict no pet policy and the odor may have been from the grove of eucalyptus trees adjacent to our property.

Our hotel is changing ownership and they have plans to renovate the rooms. We are very excited about these changes and hope that you will give us another try on a future trip to Fort Bragg.

I encourage you to call me so that we can discuss your experience here further. I can be reached at 1-866-962-2550. I hope to hear from you soon.

Paradise, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

I believe this is my 5th 4th of July at this hotel and I always look forward to it. The view of the ocean and the deck is wonderful. Unlike others, I enjoy the breakfast tray, coffee, microwave and refrigerator. I usually stay close to the inlet and have always been amazed that you cannot hear the traffic from the bridge even leaving the sliding glass door open all nite. The fireplace is wonderful, and I have always found the staff wonderful as well. Always look forward to it!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank mefrost
NCHotel, General Manager at North Cliff Hotel, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Thank you for your kind words! I'm so pleased to hear that you've had another enjoyable 4th of July stay with us. This truly is the best place in Fort Bragg to watch the fireworks! I'll be sharing your comments with the entire staff, they do strive to provide excellent service and will be so happy to see your feedback.

See you next year!
#7 of 23 in Fort Bragg
Surf & Sand Lodge
Surf & Sand Lodge
#6 of 23 in Fort Bragg

Been to North Cliff Hotel? Share your experiences!