“Great Hotel and Restaurant”
Review of North Cliff Hotel

North Cliff Hotel
Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Fort Bragg
Reviewed December 14, 2011

My wife and I spent our second anniversary at the North Cliff Hotel and it was wonderful. It was very romantic. We had a Sauna room that overlooked the ocean which was an amazing view. We were able to enjoy the ocean view from the sauna. The hotel staff was very nice and welcoming. Larry and Jessica made our stay at the hotel very joyful. The Cliff House restaurant is next to the hotel and their staff was great as well. They gave us a chocolate moose cake that was very good. Tom was our waiter and he was very funny. Relaxation, romance, a beautiful view, and great dining what more can you ask for. Thank you North Cliff Hotel for a wonderful experience.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ayayog a
There are newer reviews for North Cliff Hotel

Reviewed December 11, 2011

We needed a weekend on the coast and found them through LivingSocial. We loved everything about this place... Friendly staff, clean rooms, AMAZING views of the sea, location, value/rate.. We will definitely be returning here soon. Tip: Go to Piaci's for pizza, best pizza Ive had in years.

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed December 6, 2011

I bought this room through Living Social. After I made the reservation I read some not so good reviews and became scared as I was bringing a romantic partner and hoped I was not going to be disapointed. First, I do not know where all the negative comments could have come from. This hotel is one of the BEST HOTELS I HAVE EVER STAYED IN and that includes timeshares as well! Friendly and accomidating staff from the person who took my reservation, check in, and the maid! The room was FABULOUS! Great view of the harbor and ocean from the bed, the blacony, and the fireplace. In fact the only time I couldnt see the ocean was when I walked to the sink and bathroom which by the way was very nice, great shower! Loved hearing the soft fog horn and bouy chimes mixed with the sounds of the waves and fishing boats. If I closed the slidingdoor to the balcony I could not hear any noise. We however, chose to leave the door open even a little just so we could hear the sounds. Now for the sto ked refrigerator. Really? Someone actually complained about this? The refrigerator is medium size and had room after being stocked for our purchases as well. The fruit juices and waters(all full size) were restocked ever day. The breakfast provided was more than enough and we always had aome left over to take with us to the beach or on our sightseeing drive for a nice snack. Some hotels/motels offer "a cooked breakfast" which consists of waffels you have to make yourself and cold ceral and packaged danishes and small cups for oj. This breakfast consisted of a LARGE muffin, two scones, two cheeses, an apple, two tangerines, a large crossiant, three varieties of good jam, twoo full size bottles of water, and two full size fusion juices in glass containers, and two Sees chocolates! We purchased grapes from a local store and that was the only addition we made. Very yummy!! I will ALWAYS stay here when I return! In fact I might plan my next visit JUST SO I CAN STAY at the North Cliff Hotel. Next time I might reserve the jacuzzi room. :-)

Room Tip: Every room faces the ocean. No bad room/view that I could see.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Trudi D
Reviewed December 4, 2011

The view was great, the location was awful. The Hotel was dirty and not very safe. Homeless people slept at night under the bridge, Garbage everywhere, We spent $600 for 2 rooms for 2 nights not worth it. It was not a "upscale" hotel by any means. The front desk "Manager" was very abrupt. We got the feeling "outsiders"not welcome.

To top it all off upon leaving my nine year old daughter asked the front desk "Manager" for a complementary juice for the road and she was told no...After spending all that money. Not good customer service. Never going there again,

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
7  Thank Elissa1212
NorthCliffHotel, Manager at North Cliff Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2012

Thank you for the review of our hotel. I would first like to apologize if you felt that outsiders are not welcome because we are a hotel and we cater to outsiders. The bridge you speak of is not part of our property and is not a reflection of our hotel, if you felt unsafe in any way we would be more than happy to call the police for any situation in that manner.
I believe the situation with your daughter was a communication error. We were unaware when she entered the office that she was your daughter and was checked out of our hotel. She asked if she could have a juice, and we asked if she was a guest staying in a room. Your daughter informed us that she was staying in the room so we said that we would make sure to stalk the refrigerator with juice, which we do on a daily basis, she then left our front office. If she had informed us that you were no longer staying at our hotel we would have supplied her with a juice. I am sorry for the misunderstanding, but had we known we would have accommodated her.

Reviewed November 28, 2011

I took my husband here for a romantic weekend get away, expecting luxury for $225/night. The positives were: A gas fireplace, a two person jetted hot tub, a view of Noyo Harbor with a slight view of the ocean, a balcony, and a king bed. The negatives were: The gas fireplace was on a timer, and kept shutting off after 60 minutes, the view came with a fog horn that went off every couple of minutes, in order to see the ocean you had to stand on one side of the balcony and crane your neck, and the "free breakfast" was one croissant, one muffin, two baby bell cheeses and two bottles of Nectar juice, and the king bed was really hard and uncomfortable, and there weren't enough comforters or pillows. Again, for $225 per night, we were expecting a lot more, and were honestly disappointed. We will not be going there again.

4  Thank Katherine S
Reviewed November 28, 2011

This hotel is WAY too expensive for the amenities, location, and even the view. We had a 'top floor' room with a hot tub, fireplace, and king bed. The room was NOT on the top floor - they label room '309' right next to room '208'. Also, this hotel is perilously close to the highway, as in - you could probably jump from the end room to the highway and I bet you can hear it from there too. Oddly it is ranked high for 'romantic' on Trip Advisor - maybe because of the hot tub, which WAS nice - but I took my boyfriend here for his birthday and it looked kind of like a cheap, old [...] that cost $59 a night and not $250 a night. It was NOT the surprise wonderful place I was hoping for and I should have listened to the more negative reviews.
Let me address the claims about this place, one by one:

Breakfast delivered to room: cold tray of cheap food in fridge upon arrival.
Balcony: very small and cold.
Hot tub fireplace: really nice!
Room: 70's style bed with hideous pink cloth asymmetrical headboard, lumpy mattress, polyester comforter and too few pillows
Ocean View: muddy parking lot, levy, and bay view from the 'top floor', from the bottom I imagine it's more of 'mud pit view'.

Go here for: loud drunken tryst if you have a 2/3 off coupon
DON'T GO HERE FOR: nice romantic surprise get away unless you want to spend a lot of money and still look cheap!

Room Tip: Ask SPECIFICALLY for one on the top floor and FAR AWAY from the highway!!!
Reviewed November 12, 2011

All night long the fog horn screamed. The view is great. The balconies are too close. The rooms are of an 80's theme. Great amenities. But I need a good night sleep.

Room Tip: If you go stay on the west side far away from the highway. The spa tub is worth the splurge.
1  Thank simmonsgottlieb