“Tired travelers”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 17, 2013

We were thrilled with the food and service. We stated we were exhausted from a long travel day and the gentleman who greeted us found a quiet table, that we could still view the more active areas.
The pizza was suburb, good beer, and decent salad. The graphics on the t-shirts were great!!!
I wish there were casual restaurants in our neighborhood that were this good.

There are newer reviews for North Coast Brewing Company

Reviewed September 17, 2013

Had dinner here and it was pretty good. We had a scallop salad and tempura shrimp with Asian Slaw that was well prepared. My wife raved about the scallops. The steamed clams for appetizer were just OK. Kind of tough and a good percentage of the shells were empty. The beer was excellent. The only weird thing was my wife asked for a wine spritzer, wine w/ 7 Up.
They were at a loss on how to serve it. They brought a glass of wine and a large glass of 7 Up and left it on the table.... So much for imaginations!

Reviewed September 13, 2013

One of the delights of this Californian trip has been the opportunity to sample a huge array of beers from micro-breweries. When I discovered that Fort Bragg had a restaurant attached to the brewery I persuaded my wife that this should be the location for our Friday evening meal. We went elsewhere on the Saturday.

The beers were decent,- Red Seal and Acme for me, the derivative lager for my wife - and the fish and meat dishes were cooked and presented well. But the ambience of the place is all wrong. First, the restaurant's decor is rather dark - mahogany coloured tables, black leatherette seating. Secondly, our location near to the kitchen meant that there was a constant stream of waiting staff passing by our table. All in all, it was difficult to keep a conversation going or to really enjoy the food and drink.

In many respects, it felt like a fast food outlet, more so now as the restaurant specialises in pizzas rather than having a wider range of food. We had two of the three 'other' meals on offer which is why we decided to go elsewhere the following evening. Choice is important. They have that for the beer but, alas, not for the food.

Reviewed September 6, 2013

6/30/13

"That's not a kitty!" Walking home from North Coast's tap house, we saw down the block something walking away from a trash can. The B&B next door (that we didn't get a room for) had a house cat according to the website, so we made an assumption that the kitty was in the street being naughty. When "it" turned, the profile was clearly NOT a kitty, but we couldn't identify what it was in the dark. We now have a new experession for anything unexpected, "That's not a kitty."

For out stop in Fort Bragg, the saying is appropriate. While the beers of North Coast are famous, and worthy of it, the stop was very different than I imagined. At Anderson Valley, our new friends Dave and Meredith had shown up too early for the restaurant (opens at 4 pm), ending up at a nearby bar and chatted with a disgruntled local about the negative relationship the brewery has with the small seaside community. We didn't sense any of that dynamic on our stop but the restaurant does feel out of place.

To buy time to order some food, we jumped into drafts of Brother Thelonious and Old Rasputin, both excellent. No notes as we focused on ordering bruschetta with fresh basil and a quattro formaggio spent grain pizza. In spite of the very comfortable and welcomed 60 degree coastal temp compared to the inland heat, the restaurant was stuffy. A dark wood interior and black painted ceiling gives the place a somber feeling. Blended with 1950s muzak, I sense in the restaurant an attempt to be upscale in a small town like the steak house in my backwater hometown in Iowa.

Which might explain the high end beers brewed by North Coast. While a couple of beers like ACME and Scrimshaw are lighter, the rest are big beers in big bottles. Two and two adds up to four now, but I never really did the math before. North Coast are high end beers because they seem to see themselves as a high end location.

Next was the mainstay of my cellar, Old Stock Ale. This draft of the 2013 edition is fresh and young: dark notes and oxidized sherry from bottle aging are missing; tall, fluffy white head falls to a thin film over a mahogany ale; slightly hot nose, hidden cherry and dark malt; a little thin and alcoholic on the tongue with more dark fruit and malt and a dry finish. Too cold when served but the beer opens nicely as it warms to hint at the aged version. A barleywine on a summer trip is always a treat, so ordering a 25th Anniversary Barley Wine on draft was a no-brainer: medium lace from a fluffy off white head; amber ale with shimmering gold in the light; aromatic and floral nose from a fairly intense hop with sweet malt and a hint of molasses; smooth and whiskey-like on the tongue and the hop lingers off the back. Pretty good beer but not an all-time barleywine for me.

Overall, our walk on the beach at sunset to check out sea glass (recommended by our friendly hotel owner upon check in) and the downtown region was beautiful, as was the drive to Fort Bragg through the Jackson State Forest, forecasting our next day in redwoods. Pleasant stop with some excellent beers, but I didn't feel connected to the restaurant. Nothing wrong—just wasn't inspired by the disconnect between the rough and tumble seaside town and the attitude in the restaurant, especially when the food only partially delivered. Still, hard to go wrong drinking the drafts of North Coast across the street from the brewery and an easy (if somewhat surprising) walk home.

Pictures at http://pintsizedrevelations.blogspot.com/2013/09/north-coast-brewing-fort-bragg-ca.html

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Went there the first night on a friend's recommendation. I have nothing bad to say about this place. Everyone working there is friendly and will make sure you are happy with everything, from where you sit to what you drink and eat. We were so satisfied with the whole experience that we didn't even look for another place and went back there 3 days in a row! The menu changed daily with about 5 or 6 new selections every day so we always had something new. And of course the brews are wonderful! I only wish I lived closer so it wouldn't be so long before I can go back!