“Tasted like old grease”

Steak and Burger House
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
“Tasted like old grease”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

We went because of the reviews and were really disappointed. The food was plentiful, but tasted like it had been fried in old grease. Definite language barrier, the two waitresses were nice, but did not understand English. We tried to ask a question about our bill and they could not explain the prices. Would not go here again.

Visited September 2013

Fort Bragg, California
“3rd Time Not The Charm”
Reviewed July 27, 2013

First off this should not be confused with the Fort Bragg Steak House which was on Main St and now sadly closed. We first tried this one on Franklin St. when we found the aforementioned restaurant closed. The fish & chips were good, slow servcie. We went back a few weeks later and they had acquired the old "Steak House " menus. F & C this time while tasty were tiny. My 4 pieces of fish were nugget size, husbands slightly larger. Again painfully slow service although there was only one other table occupied. Vowed not to return. We didn't until guests stopped by and D'Aurelios our first choice was packed and our guests had eaten at most other restaurants on our list. Apart from a few people at the bar we were the only table. Our waitress while pleasant and perhaps new did not appear to have a strong grasp of the English language but we managed to order drinks and then dinner. Then the wait. What can they possibly be doing in the kitchen? Now while I am quite happy to spend time over dinner instead of the very often you're in and your check's on the table before you've even had your first bite, this was again ridiculously slow. Then my husband & guest received their dinners and other guest was again questioned about having salad instead of fries with her Po'Boy. Again the wait and finally the other dinners arrived. Food was good, shrimp fettucine, Daniel burger, fish & chips and Po'Boy. All plates polished clean. Check arrived, no offer of dessert. My husband gave over his credit card. Several minutes passed and then the waitress returned and said the cc machine was broken and to pay cash. Well though we had cash we knew we didn't have enough (guests offered but we declined). Luckily our Credit Union ATM was just up the street so husband legged it up there and duly paid the bill. Later he told me the bill was $105 and with tip added totaled $120. 4 dinners totaling approx $50 and 4 drinks apparently making up the rest? ( 1 wine, 1 beer,1 n/a beer, 1 iced tea). I asked why he had not said anything and he answered "he didn't want to make a scene in front of the guests, he just wanted to get out and be done with it". This time we will keep the vow not to go back. Caveat Emptor

• Visited July 2013
California
“Not terrible but definitely wouldn't return...”
Reviewed June 5, 2013 via mobile

After a 5 1/2 hour leisurely drive up the coast, hubby & I were hungry, hungry hippos.

We dropped our stuff off at a local beach front motel (review to come) and dashed out for an early dinner at Steak & Burger House.

We entered the empty restaurant and sat by the windows. Knowing I was going to write a trip advisor review, we glanced around the place. Pretty clean, new curtains in the window, floor swept, no weird food smells.

Waitress was pleasant enough @ told us right off the menu was being redone & they did not have crab cakes. Oh dear.

I ordered the summer chicken salad with grilled chicken (a bit dry & not much of it) with mango & strawberries (super yummy) on mixed greens (very fresh - not a funky lettuce or spinach leaf to be found) with balsamic dressing on the side. Not. Too. Bad. $14.00? A bit pricy considering the tiny amount of chicken.

Hubby ordered the bacon cheeseburger, medium rare. Oy! It arrived well done and not very appealing. Fries were cooked the way he wanted them, but they were clearly frozen.

My glass of Bliss Merlot was wonderful.

$40 with tip - not a total bust but I got too much green & not enough chicken & hubby's burger was way over cooked. Nice people, clean place.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Bostongurl209
“Poppers are to die for!”
Reviewed June 1, 2013

My husband and I visited on our trip to town. It looked empty when we drove up and it was. I was glad. This little place is awesome.
The jalapeno poppers are the best I've ever had. Tempura dipped. New to me. Let me tell you they were to die for.
I also tried the blue cheese bacon burger, which was fresh, juicy, and delicous.
We will go back. Soon I hope.

• Visited February 2013
“Great food and very nice staff!”
Reviewed May 25, 2013

The food was excellent here with great variety to choose from, and the waitress was very nice and genuine. Would definitely return!

• Visited May 2013