“The proverbial hole-in-the-wall”

The Q
Ranked #31 of 86 Restaurants in Fort Bragg
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Description: just opened (in April 2012?) at the south end of Fort Bragg on Highway 1. Attracting lots of interest.
Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

Another business trip to Fort Bragg this week. Got into town hungry and hubby & I agreed to try The Q. We both love good BBQ, not just grilled or smoked meat with sauce on it.

I ordered a half order of baby back ribs with a piece of corn bread. Hubby ordered "the Q" which was chopped beef brisket on a piece of cheddar Texas toast & heavy slaw on top. The meat was tender but not very much. More slaw & toast. His onion rings were cooked just like he likes them. On the well done side.

My baby back ribs were perfect. Not fatty, super tender, not over done & seasoned just right. I tried a couple of the sauces on the table - didn't care for the Carolina sauce as it was made with mustard seeds. The tangy sauce was ok. I usually like spicy/med hot but I passed this time as this was my first meal of the day & I wanted to take it easy.

The cornbread was not sweet & was made with real corn and served with real butter. It was piping hot & just delicious.

It can be a bit chilly as they keep the doors open but they do have gas heaters. We will definately return.

There are newer reviews for The Q

Reviewed August 11, 2013

The Q is a just south of downtown Fort Bragg. It's totally casual, with four different, delicious sauces for your barbecue, silverware and napkins stowed in a cardboard six pack container. Nothin' fancy. But the food? It's terrific. Their blackened, freshly caught Rock Cod and fries make for delicious best fish and chips. Different and yummy. The people who work there are friendly and nice to deal with. It's a great little place for a great, but not so little, meal. They serve beer and wine too. It's not the cheapest place, but you get good value and plenty of food for your hard-earned buck.

1  Thank Nancy H
Reviewed August 9, 2013

The Fort Bragg area has many spectacular coastal vistas. The Q, which features both dine-in and take-out, set us up with great meals to watch the sun set. We had two dinners from there, fish, chicken and beef ribs with slaw, fries, onion rings, and a salad to go along. Portions are generous and very tasty. We will need to go back and try some of the other choices; there are many. On a previous visit we dined in. The Q is small and not fancy looking. The food makes up for appearances.

Reviewed August 3, 2013

We ate at this place twice during our recent trip. The blackened rockfish fish and chips was great. Fries are homemade and portions are generous. The slaw was also good - tangy but not overwhelmed by onion like some places. The traditional barbecue choices are also super. I had the chicken - a half order was more than enough, an was smoky and good, the meat just falling off the bones. My husband had ribs and onion rings - also a great choice. We like to get our orders to go and take them to a local beach to watch the waves while we eat.

Reviewed August 3, 2013

This is a very small, old building not meant for a sit down meal. The front room is more like a porch and can be cold, but you order inside so everyone opens the doors to come in...so its cold in there too. You order at a counter and then go get your food. Think they are supposed to bring it to you but the one girl behind the counter was swamped. My family likes the food, but I thought is was so so at best. They have their favorites and I think it would take many tries for me to find mine.