“A local's opinion”

The Q
Ranked #30 of 85 Restaurants in Fort Bragg
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Description: just opened (in April 2012?) at the south end of Fort Bragg on Highway 1. Attracting lots of interest.
Fort Bragg, California
“A local's opinion”
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Fort Bragg proper hasn't had a BBQ joint in a long time so this one is most welcomed....We have eaten here twice now (lunch & dinner) and it is all very tasty....The sides are just as enjoyable as the smokey meats...It is quite pricey for a dinner ordered at the counter, and served in a basket with paper liner though...Also the ambiance is a little on the rough side..Lots of take-out means a lot of doors opening and closing making it burr-cold inside..We had to wear our coats, indoors...The larger patio dining area has more seating with heaters on but the noisy traffic of Highway 1 is just a few feet away...Sorry, too full for dessert this time!

• Visited February 2013

Irvine, California
“One Dinner Wasn't Enough!”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

We love bar-b-que, and were not disappointed with this place. In fact, we ate dinner there two consecutive nights while in Fort Bragg. This is a small joint that is very popular with the locals. Coming from the Bay Area, I think this place would be right at home where I live as well.

The plates we tried included the brisket and "the Q", open-faced sandwich. The brisket is quite lean. I'm not a fan of lean. I definitely prefer the juicier cuts. But this meat was perfect. And the sauces available are awesome. Especially the sweet, and my favorite, the Carolina Tangy. On our second visit we enjoyed a combo plate with pork spare ribs, kielbasa sausage and their famous blakened fish. I was very skeptical about the fish. It turned out to be the best item of all the main dishes.

As far as the sides go, we had the macaroni and cheese twice (this is to die for). The potato salad was simply awesome as well. I felt the onion rings lacked some flavor, and the cornbread was a bit on the dry side. For dessert, we enjoyed the chocolate bread pudding, which was served with a mocha sauce. I also had a chocolate chip oatmeal cookies. The sucker was huge, fresh-baked, and very good.

You can't rush good bar-b-que. So when you visit The Q, be patient. And remember that this place is very popular with the locals, so you might have to wait a bit for your food. But it will be well worth it.

• Visited February 2013
Dallas, TX
“This family of Texans was pleasantly surprised to find delicious southern food & BBQ in Northern California.”
Reviewed January 19, 2013

I ordered the blackened fish & chips & the rest of the family ordered either chicken or ribs. Everything was delicious. The macaroni & cheese, beans, & cole slaw are all fabulous.

Central Valley of California
“A Pleasant Surprise on the Mendocino Coast”
Reviewed January 15, 2013

Barbecue purists should stop reading this review and move on to the next review. Okay, now that the barbecue "experts" are gone, I will continue my review. I do not pretend to be an expert on barbecued food. What I am an expert on is whether or not I like something. The food here is delicious. My wife ordered the pulled chicken sandwich and I ordered “The Q” which is a brisket sandwich. The brisket had very little fat on it. We both were very pleased with our meal.
You get one side dish with your order. I tried the macaroni and cheese, my wife tried the French fries. Most restaurants seem to do a terrible job on macaroni and cheese, but The Q does it amazingly well. The fries were good, too, but were a bit greasy.
We ate at the restaurant, but while we were there we must have seen a dozen people order take out, so the locals apparently enjoy the food here, too. There was very little highway noise inside the building even though it's right beside highway 1. The guy behind the counter was friendly and came by our table twice to make sure we had everything we wanted. This is not a high-class, big city barbecue place that you can brag about going to. It's a small place with humble surroundings that serves great food without a bunch of hoopla. But you can still brag about going here.

• Visited January 2013
Sacramento, California
“BBQ with a coastal twist”
Reviewed December 31, 2012

The food here was so good. The place doesn't look like much from the outside, but it's so worth a visit! They have a lot of traditional BBQ favorites (except collards?!?) and they also have local seafood options. We tried a few of the different oyster preparations and loved them all. The blackened fish was delicious as was the pork. The portions are pretty big so you won't leave hungry (especially if you get a few oysters to start with!)

Visited November 2012