“Best Hotel in Fort Bragg for the money! Perfect for any traveler.”
Review of Colombi Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Fort Bragg
Colombi Motel
Ranked #14 of 23 Hotels in Fort Bragg
Reviewed January 20, 2009

A couple of months ago I made the decision to move to Mendocino County. I needed to find a hotel that could accomodate me long term for an affordable price while I hunted for permanent accomodations.

After staying at a few hotels in the area, which were nice, I stumbled across this diamond in the rough. From the outside it will not grab your attention too much as it looks like nothing more than a clean simple building with a touch of greenery. No spectacular ocean views.

However... once in the room I could not not believe my eyes! After staying at many hotels in the area for MUCH more money with MUCH less room, I was pleasantly surprised to find my "home away from home" that I stayed at QUITE comfortably until I finally found a new permanent home. (I now live in Fort Bragg in a wonderful, spacious and beautiful apartment that coincidentally happens to belong to the same owners as those of the Colombi Motel!)

BEYOND CLEAN!!! Never have I seen such a meticulously cared for hotel before! While I was away doing errands one day one of the owners did a cleanliness inspection of the daily maid service and decided the ceilings in the kitchen of my hotel room looked a bit dusty so she brought in a step ladder and meticulously scrubbed my ceiling herself! I returned home to an even more immaculate hotel room and kitchen than the one I left! (Yes, my room had a full kitchen much to my satisfaction and convenience, which prompted me to run across the street to the well stocked and affordable Colombi Market to buy things to fill up the full size refrigerator and pantry in my room!)

Parking here was a dream! Each unit has its own adjacent carport! I REALLY liked this feature of the hotel as it made loading and unloading a dream, and allowed me to keep close tabs on my newly purchased vehicle.

LAUNDRY MEGA-CONVENIENCE! The previous 3 hotels I had stayed at had no facilities for guest laundry. This hotel has a full service laundromat (The Colombi Laundromat) right next door! By the time I arrived at the Colombi Motel I was in dire need for their laundry facilities! Their Laundromat is just as clean as their Hotel.

SAFETY AND SECURITY. The area for the most part seems very safe and crime-free. I set up my $3000 computer systems in my room and never once felt as though they were in the slightest jeopardy.

There was one incident where I accidentally left my $400 iPod Touch (pocket computer) sitting on the counter in the Laundromat while I took a load of clothes to my hotel room. One of the other patrons in the laundromat apparently picked up the item before I got back and I was distraught when I discovered that it was missing! The next day the staff of the hotel and laundromat assisted the Fort Bragg Police department by showing them the video recording from the security cameras from the night before. They recognized the other patrons that were in the laundromat and were about to go question the "suspects", when one of them came into the Colombi Market and returned my iPod, indicating that someone had left it in the laundromat the night before!

This hotel is very affordable and saves you money by allowing you to cook at "home"! I highly recommend this hotel to anyone staying in the area, both for short visits or long visits.

TIP: The Colombi Market offers a box of meticulously put together kitchen essentials including plates, glasses, silverware, pots, pans, spatulas, dish soap, etc. available for guests of the Colombi Motel for a mere $5 deposit! A must have if you plan to do any cooking in your room.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank Daaavey
There are newer reviews for Colombi Motel

Reviewed November 25, 2008

After reading previous reviews, we decided to give the Colombi Motel a try. We were very pleasantly surprised!!

Checking in at the Colombi Market across the street was a bit strange but the folks there were friendly and helpful. The room was clean and appeared to have been renovated recently. Morning coffee and a 3-pound bag of ice per day for guests are available at the market.

About 5 blocks from Main street (highway 1) the location was quite and with garages between guest rooms we never heard any noise from our neighbors.

We visit Ft Bragg about once each year and cannot wait to stay at the Colombi again. What a wonderful place and a GREAT value!!

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rusty3
Reviewed September 30, 2008

My husband and I searched high and low for reasonable accommodations for our trip. He read the reviews about the Colombi and said we should book there. It wasn't exactly what I had in mind so I renamed it to Motel Death....this was definitely NOT the case.

The staff was incredibly friendly and the convenience of having a market so close was greatly appreciated. The accommodations themselves were much nicer that I would have ever anticipated. Everything in the room was new and impeccably clean. We had our own private driveway for parking our car, which was a nice change from having to search for a parking spot as we have had to do with prior vacations.

I would gladly stay at this establishment again and recommend that others do as well. You can't beat the price, and if you can do without the foo-foo of other hotels, then it's definitely worth it. We plan on returning in the spring with our children....the kitchen will definitely come in handy then.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank h2ocoyote
Reviewed September 17, 2008

We go up to Fort Bragg for Winesong every year and have stayed at a different place every time. I usually feel ripped off and most of the places are not very clean.We had always joked about staying here and finally decided to give it a try after reading the reviews here. Our room was about $60 and very clean. We brought our own coffee and dishes so we were prepared. It was nice not having to listen to the goings on in the room next door because there is a car port dividing you. and every room has it's own hotwater heater which was great too. We could walk to dinner and all the cute shops. Even stopped at the Milano Bar which is a little neighborhood bar with a cute back patio. Martini and a beer $5.!!!! Don't tell anyone about this place.I would definately go back here.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank winetoots
Reviewed August 18, 2008

While researching for places to stay in Fort Bragg over 3 summer nights, I came across Colombi. We stayed our first two nights at another hotel on the ocean and spent the last night at Colombi. I wish I would of stayed all three nights at Colombi. We enjoyed it so much we tried to make another night out of it but they were booked.

Colombi is a nice family run motel in the local living area of Fort Bragg. I liked the fact that it is located within the heart of where the locals live. However, only a short walk will get you into downtown. Because of this, the area is quiet.

Colombi seems to have the corner on the market. Literally, they have the market with a deli (where you check in), the laundromat and the motel all next door to each other. You feel like you stepped back in time. It's great to be in the market to watch all the locals walk in, come in for their daily coffee, soda, what have you, call each other by name, and everyone talking about what's going on in town. The family was very friendly, Sandy made some great deli sandwiches and Robert gave us tips on hikes and gave us the history of his family. They were all very friendly and made you feel like they were welcoming you into their home.

The rooms only offer up to a queen size bed, some have kitchens, some only have a mini fridge. We had one of the larger rooms with a full kitchen. The rooms were clean and well maintained. The carports were even a nice touch. Should you get a room with a kitchen, they will offer you a utencil pack for $5 a day if you do not bring your own and you wish to cook. They offer coffee and ice every day. The coffee is great. They also have a picnic area if you want to grab some food from the deli and take up the sun and eat outside.

If your looking for good value, a clean room, quiet surroundings, and family friendly atmosphere you have found it.

I also must mention the Taqueria Ricarda next door to the market offers some wonderful mexican food. Seems to be a local favorite. I'm already craving to go back for more carne asada tacos.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 8, 2008

The motel is a great value compared to other places in Fort Bragg. You pay for it by being a few blocks away from the main street but it's not a big deal. The hotel is in a "working class" neighborhood as others state but it seemed safe although I personally wouldn't walk around outside alone at night.

Nice sized kitchen but no dishes or utensils, bring yours or they rent it for $5.

Kind of a hassle to park near the store, check in, then drive around the block to go into the motel. The carports are a nice touch but kind of small so be careful as you pull in and out.

the insides are remodeled and everything was clean.

as of early July 2008, their Wifi was not working... when I called the front desk to ask if it was working, the phone kept ringing and ringing, I called several times and the same thing, then I used my cell to call and they answered immediately... take that for whatever it's worth, maybe they don't like answering calls from the guests?

overall, the people i interacted were competent but not the friendliest like other reviewers have experienced. they're not rude or anything though.

Overall, if I stay in Fort Bragg, I'd stay here again..

• Stayed: July 2008
Reviewed June 13, 2008

As sweet a place as you could want - ours had a queen bed and a kitchen. Not a kitchenette but a real kitchen with a full-sized refrigerator, a range with an oven (in addition to a microwave) and a sink with curtains over the windows. There's even one of those ironing boards that fold-down out of the wall.And here's the kicker - this isn't like staying in a Best Western where you can hear your neighbor's every sneeze because there's a garage between the units. Shade for your car and a (realtively) huge amount of space between you and your neighbors.

Nicely renovated and landscaped colorfully painted, there's been a lot of care and work put into the place. The manager is on-site and friendly (she saw me taking pictures and introduced herself) and the woman that checked us in (at the market on the corner, an interesting setup) was very friendly and helpful, even offering us a bag of ice for the room.

All of this came at a very reasonable price, lower than the chains with considerably more warmth. I'd like to keep this place a secret but they deserve better!

We wanted to stay longer once we saw the place but had prepaid camping reservations up the coast.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple