“Pay the extra money!”

Ranked #3 of 23 Hotels in Fort Bragg
Saint Augustine Beach, Florida
“Pay the extra money!”
Reviewed October 2, 2013

Your room looks right out the sliding glass door -- which, yes, you can lock to a slightly open space overnight -- and your view is breathtaking. As reviewers have noted, the public walk path goes past all the units but you barely notice you are enjoying the view so much. A short drive to town but you will want to get back to your room and that incredible view!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
  • Korean first
Northern California
Reviewed September 27, 2013

This is a great place to stay if your priority is access to a headlands area. But if privacy is at all a concern, and in-room comfort is important, you probably won't be happy.

The ocean view rooms are immediately adjacent to a public paved walk/bike trail--it passes literally a few feet outside the room--right next to the bridge across Pudding Creek. So, while you can sit in your room and watch the sun set into the ocean, if you're on the first floor everyone walking along that path can also see into your room.

My room was nice--on the first floor as I'd requested, facing the ocean. The room was very clean and nicely decorated. I loved the view and the ability to walk out the sliding door right onto the headlands--that was magical.

However, because of the lack of privacy I had to close the curtains much of the time, so the benefit of having the view was lost. Also, it was extremely warm in the room (heat was coming in from the vent on the floor). Because of the proximity to a public walkway--and because the sliding screen door didn't have a lock at all--I felt I needed to close and lock the sliding door at night. As a result I was sleeping in an uncomfortably hot room. I mentioned it to the front desk and was offered fans, but blowing hot air around at night didn't seem like an attractive option.

Maintenance was also an issue. I'd hoped to spend time enjoying the view from the patio outside my room. However, the water from a hose next to my room flowed directly onto my patio, so there was a at least an inch of standing water on it--not comfortable for sitting there, and also not practical for accessing the headlands through it. I notified the front desk, and to their credit a maintenance man showed up within minutes to try to sweep the water away. That helped a little, but there was still standing water, with the only apparent solution to wait for it to dry on its own. That didn't happen till late the next day, so my patio wasn't available for most of my stay--disappointing, since the ocean view and access from the patio was the main reason I chose to stay there.

Other maintenance issues--the screen on the sliding door was torn (or coming apart) along the edges of the frame. A couple of the lights in the room didn't work at all. And surprisingly, for some reason the towels were the scratchiest I've ever seen--I'm not particularly fussy about having soft towels, but these were decidedly uncomfortable to use.

The service at the front desk was okay, but not at all enthusiastic. When I stopped by with questions or a concern (about the heat in the room) I had a vague sense I was distracting them from something they'd rather be doing back in the office.

So...while the Beachcomber is indeed in a beautiful location, I won't stay there again.

Room Tip: If you don't mind climbing lots of stairs, choose a room on the second floor so you'll have...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Dangelblue
Yorkshire
Reviewed September 26, 2013

Have rated this motel as poor rather than terible because I did book last minute and so might deserve what I got.... booked by phone and was told that they had a room available but without ocean view, but that was OK. The room was actually right next to the reception area with no double glazing so we could hear all comings and goings - which paled into insignificance compared with the sounds of Highway 101. No air con but couldn't open windows because of noise. Very small room with nowhere to put suitcases. Only place to sit was bed and when leant against bedhead, bed moved... Breakfast not that impressive. They really shouldn't be using this room, and it's overpriced. Did complain, but didn't get the impression that anyone was that bothered...

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ruth L
Gardnerville, Nevada, United States
Reviewed September 25, 2013

We've stayed in Fort Bragg before but this was our first time at the Beachcomber. Our room was on the second floor with a full view of the ocean. They have a great website to help you make your room selection so book early to get the best room available. I was a bit slow booking and was lucky to get the last pet friendly room for our trip. We found the entire staff was very helpful and I'm surprised at one of the reviews saying they were rude. The location of the Beachcomber right on the beach is a great plus since you get miles of beach walking both north and south. That plus they have pet friendly rooms available at different price ranges makes the Beachcomber a good value. Also, don't miss the history of this family owned motel, it's a well worthwhile read. We will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Get a room on the second floor with a view of the ocean. If you are travelling with a dog (we did) t...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Recently stayed at the Beachcomber based on the website and reviews. I was pretty disappointed. I got there after a long drive a couple of hours early and was turned away without the desk clerk really even looking to see if a room was available. The rooms were old and drab...no restaurant or bar...nothing much nearby..balconies right beside each other so you could hear what was happening in the room next door. It was overpriced for what it was. I wouldnt stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank KGarySF
Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

On our road trip from San Francisco we spent a night here on a recommendation. Absolutely beautiful/spectacular ocean front views with walkable access to the beach. Rooms were clean and tastefully decorated with a 10 mile walking path steps from the back door. Sure it would have been nice to pay less then we did, but it was really worth every penny!

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
midwest
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We have stayed at the Beachcomber several times in the past few years, the previous time was four years ago. We have always loved the location, right on the beach, within walking distance of Fort Bragg over the old railroad trestle. We thought the motel was getting a little tired four years ago, but when we returned this summer, we found that the room had a complete overhaul. New carpet, furniture, wallpaper, vanity top, an easy chair, even fresh lawn chairs for the deck. We would stay there anyway, but it was nice to be in a fresh new room.

Room Tip: Just make sure you have ocean view. Almost all the rooms have it. We like the second floor so that p...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple