“Best coastal stay in Fort Bragg, CA”

The Beachcomber Motel and Spa on the Beach
Ranked #3 of 23 Hotels in Fort Bragg
Laytonville, California, United States
“Best coastal stay in Fort Bragg, CA”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

My husband and I often take trips to Fort Bragg and when we do we stay at the Beachcomber Motel and spa on the beach. It has the best rooms and the best location with quick access to the beach and trails. The rooms are clean, spacious and inviting making you feel at home. My husband and I have stayed in the King suite as well as other rooms and have been extremely satisfied with them all. The King suite has a Jacuzzi tub, fireplace and private balcony with a spectacular view, a perfect romantic getaway. They provide a free continental breakfast with a variety of choices. If you are traveling the coastal highway make it a point to stop and stay here, you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Stephanie B
beachcombermotel, Manager at The Beachcomber Motel and Spa on the Beach, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
The Beachcomber staff is elated you had such an enjoyable time at our property! We hope to be your go to destination whenever you visit Fort Bragg! Please don't hesitate to call and make your next reservation soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
  • Korean first
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

We were charged a 250.00 pet fee for leaving our pet unattended in room while we took photos in front of hotel! When we disputed the charge the hotel owner called the cops. When the cop came he had no idea why he was called and apologised. I disputed the charge with the credit card company after showing copy of police report I was credited the charge plus interest . But it was a horrific ordeal! The owner is a crazy woman I don't suggest ever staying here! Far from friendly and definetly not pet friendly!

• Stayed August 2012
8 Thank devw707
beachcombermotel, General Manager at The Beachcomber Motel and Spa on the Beach, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We would like to assure you that we would never be so mean to charge you for taking pictures in front of the hotel. You were charged $250 because you left your dog unattended and many guests called and complained about the barking coming from your room. We tried to contact you and are very sorry that we had to call the authorities because the noise went into the night. We wish you the best and thank you again.
Jerico Springs, Missouri
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

My husband and I wanted to spend our anniversary here and booked a stay in the pet friendly hot tub room for our first night. We were unable to book the room for two nights, so we chose to book a jacuzzi room for our second night. We were traveling with our dog and it was important to find a place that would allow us to bring him along.

While I loved the size, view and comfort of the hot tub room, unfortunately our fireplace did not work and the hot tub was so heavily chlorinated, that it burned the skin and eyes. It also turned itself on and off throughout the night to maintain temp and that was rather noisy. The other problem was the shower... it would maintain temp for a minute or two, then drop water pressure and either turn ice cold or burning hot. My only other issue with the room was temperature control.... there were no fans and with the humidity of the hot tub, the room was very stuffy.... we did open the windows and crack the slider door, but it would be nice if there was a ceiling fan or other type fan to help circulate the air. Lastly, when I turned the coffee pot on in the morning, it blew the fuze for half of the room. Thankfully there was a reset button and power was quickly restored. Regardless of the negative issues, the bed was very comfortable, sheets clean, sofa was also comfy and the view was spectacular. Internet speed was also pretty good most of the time.

The next day, we had to pack up our things and wait for our new room to be ready to move into. I was thankful that the staff did this as quickly as possible and called us when it was ready.

The second room was significantly smaller and outdated despite only being a few dollars cheaper than the hot tun room. We were in the corner right next to the dog potty area and when the windows were open, you could occasionally catch a whiff of the potty yard. The positives of this room.. the fireplace worked perfectly as did the shower, jacuzzi tub, etc. I also loved the bathroom size. The bed was as comfy as our first room and all in all I had no complaints here.

My final issue was the dog potty yard and dog amenities. The website and magazine add states you get a blanket, towel, treats, magnet and other little goodies. We were given a sheet, 2 mini milk bones and a copy of the pet policy and that was it. I was told the potty yard would have poo bags, but I was thankful I had my own, as there were none in the yard to use... just an empty spot where there used to be some. There was also no trash can to throw away the used poo bags.... it required a walk around the grounds until I found a big can near the vending machines. Also, it was not a lit area, so at night, you couldn't really see... this was a problem considering many people had chosen not to pick up after their dogs during the day. I used a flashlight and my own plastic bags to pick up all the old dog poo before I took my dog out to the yard to use.

I guess for the price we paid for our stay, I expected all things to be in working order and for there to be a bit more perks, but despite my mixed reviews, I do plan to stay here again in the future. The staff were all friendly and all in all it was a great place to relax.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Carrie P
beachcombermotel, General Manager at The Beachcomber Motel and Spa on the Beach, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
We appreciate your visit and your feedback. We will look into the areas of concern and correct the imperfections. We look forward to seeing you again the next time you are in the area. If you would like to discuss your stay further please don't hesitate to call. See you soon!
Alta Loma, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

The rooms are spacious with moderate furnishings. They have a better than usual continental breakfast that is complimentary. Each room has a patio or balcony with awesome views of the ocean. This hotel is also pet friendly. The beds were very comfortable!

Room Tip: If you are bringing your pet there is an additional $20 fee per night!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Sherry B
Thank you so much for your stay. We are always striving for better accommodations for our guests and your feedback is vital! We look forward to being your go to destination whenever you are in the area!
Apex, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

Arrived early in the evening after an exhausting day traveling and touring the Avenue of the Giants. We had booked a room to accommodate a family of five but the room had a problem and had to be closed for repair. The delightful young men working the front desk quickly solved the problem by putting us in a set of adjoining rooms. The rooms were huge with double queens and a fireplace. Spotless, fresh, spacious, fine quality linens and a host of other amenities were all included in these rooms. The balcony hosted a beautiful view, only wished we had arrived earlier to enjoy it. Breakfast was basic, but had half and half creamers which seems minor but is a game changer for us if not available. Fort Bragg was just an overnight stay so we know nothing of the town, but overall we were pleased with the Beachcomber Motel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
We are so happy you had such a positive stay at the Beachcomber! We strive to have friendly, competent staff and they were thrilled to see you enjoyed their hospitality! We look forward to seeing you back soon!
Willits, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2012

I have stayed at this establishment before and knew without a doubt that this was where I wanted to spend my honeymoon. Our room was clean and comfortable with amazing views of the ocean and we watched whales passing by everyday we were there. The couples spa treatment was very relaxing and enjoyable. It was a beautiful start to our new life together as man and wife. I could not have asked for a better stay! Many thanks to the incredible staff at The Beachcomber Motel and Spa.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Many thanks to you for your kind words! We hope we are your go to destination whenever you come to this area!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2012

I checked in late with my older sister. We were in desperate need of some down time, and sisterly time. We got an upstairs room with 2 queen beds. Perfect!! The beds are like fluffy clouds! The weather was very stormy, so we enjoyed the room more than expected. Couldn't ask for anything better!! Can't wait to come back for the whale festivals!

• Stayed December 2012
We are so happy you and your sister enjoyed some much needed sister time! We will be here whenever you feel the need for another get away! See you again soon.