Open today: 12:00 PM - 6:00 PM
Review Highlights
Fun and interesting!

We are in our 60’s but we were fascinated by all the tattoo pictures, Popeye collection and the... read more

Reviewed September 10, 2018
electricblue04
Redding, CA
via mobile
Amazing place!

My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed learning about different forms of tattooing and its global... read more

Reviewed July 27, 2018
kristipeckham
Huntington Beach, California

All reviews madame chinchilla worth a stop culture equipment tribe artists artwork photos sailors military display techniques
Reviewed October 5, 2012 via mobile

This museum & tattoo shop is practically exploding with pieces of the past, meticulously put together - images, art, machines, relics, books, video, and the ever-present sound of a tattoo machine buzzing away in the background. I'd go again for sure, and the wonderful people who run the place couldn't be nicer or more helpful.

2  Thank bug_sanchez
Reviewed September 22, 2012

I have no tatoos, I don't want tatoos, but this museum is really interesting. I don't know how many times we walked by the door without noticing it, but I'm glad we saw it and went up for a look. Folks up there were nice. You are free to wander around and there is a lot to see. You can even get a tatoo if you want.

2  Thank westerntravelwizard
Reviewed August 18, 2012

I made a decision to get my first ever tattoo at the age of 52 in memory of my Son. I also said that I had to go to the same place where he had gotten his first tattoo, in one of our favorite spots on earth, Ft. Bragg/Mendocino. I had made arrangements with Madame Chinchilla to have my hummingbird done. The entire experience was even better than I could have imagined. Madame Chinchilla greeted me with a rose, and she did a memory ceremony for my tattoo. She told me that we could put some ashes in it and Mr. G actually came in and opened the urn (which we had brought along on our road trip). This was an awesome place to come and visit, and I am already planning my next visit and tattoo. Well worth the money for the ambiance and history here. Best place ever!

1  Thank Lynne M
Reviewed August 3, 2012

Staff here is very friendly. The museum has a wonderful collection of photos of unique and beautiful tattoo art. There is also excellent documentation of the history of tattoo art.

1  Thank Karen D
Reviewed July 13, 2012

It was facinating to see all those tatoo's and the culture behind them. The place is very small and there are no pictures allowed. This was a turn off for me. I was impressed with how many different cultures use them as rituals and how far artists have come with equipment. Also interesting to see how many documentaries have been made on the subject. I was traveling with kids and maybe it was not the best idea since some of the exhibits were a little extreme. Overall it's a free attraction to stop by since it is in the center of main street.

1  Thank esthrmend