“Dahlias Awesome in Summer”

Mendocino Coast Botanical Gardens
Ranked #1 of 39 things to do in Fort Bragg
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Mendocino Coast Botanical Gardens offers everything from colorful displays to thunderous waves. The mild maritime climate makes it a garden for all seasons, attracting gardeners and nature lovers. With manicured formal gardens, a dense coastal pine forest, native flora and habitats, fern-covered canyons, camellias, rhododendrons, magnolias and conifers, heaths and heathers, and flower-filled coastal bluffs overlooking the blue ocean, the garden is a jewel on the Pacific Coast. Open daily except the Saturday after Labor Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas. March-October 9am-5pm, November-February 9am-4pm. Rhody's Cafe, located in the Gardens, serves fresh, locally made lunches, coffee drinks, desserts, and Cowlicks'Hand Made Ice Cream. Picnic lunches are available. Open April-September, 11am-4pm. The Garden Store and Nursery on the Plaza are open daily. There is no admission charge to visit the Store, Nursery, or Cafe. ~Our mission is to engage and enrich lives by displaying and conserving plants in harmony with our Northern California coastal ecosystems.~
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Dahlias Awesome in Summer”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I have been a member of the Botanical Gardens for years. The walk is full of wonderful forest and ocean views. Dogs are welcome. Take your own poopy bags. Great places for a picnic or just to sit and take in the great views. Food is available at the entrance or take your own. Bathrooms are available at the entrance and 2 along the paths.
Great place to enjoy the beauty of Northern California!!!

Visited September 2013

milpitasca
186 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 244 helpful votes
“Beguiling begonias, Delightful dahlias”
Reviewed October 9, 2013

My husband and I toured this coastal garden on a beautiful, sunny afternoon. There was a breeze and I should have taken a jacket. I was warm enough in protected areas but passed on walking down to see the ocean. The plantings are lovely with winding pathways. Plants are well marked. Art work and ponds are interspersed. I felt some of the unpaved pathways were a bit uneven and difficult to walk on. Our favorite spot was the begonia house. What an impressive display of colors and shapes. The dahlia garden was large also with many varieties and colors. There were several nice benches inside that garden area. I am sure this garden is nice in all blooming seasons.

Visited October 2013
Massapequa, New York
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“"Oh, what a joy"...gardens at the sea”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

The Pacific and Mendocino county afford plenty of places to marvel at Nature. Looking out towards the ocean that crashes against the cliffs, you see strength; looking at the gardens and all the flowers in bloom, you see unending beauty. Together, there is a kind of Majesty here at the Botanical Gardens.
Because I am somewhat handicapped, I sometimes fear that I will not be able to see much but here, paths are clearly labeled and many of the trails are handicap and wheelchair accessible. There are benches for resting (or contemplating) and the different gardens are well tended. They also have a lovely gift shop and a nursery.
My partner and I could have spent the day: exploring, relaxing or just enjoying. The staff was helpful, knowledgeable, and friendly and our stay was worth the price of admission.

Visited September 2013
ft. myers
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A lark of a place...”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

I'm a gardener from Southwest Florida (zone 11/semi-tropical) who was on an extended road trip to the West, traveled up the Pacific Coast Highway and visited the Mendocino Botanical Garden(became a member)...in May 2013. While spending most of the day there I believe I walked over every square foot of the garden and was fortunate to catch the tail end of the rhododendron bloom season. MBG is simply a magical spot...made me grass green with envy...so many of the west coast plants are out of bounds for my gardening zone. I have a particular devotion to the colors of the heaths, the elegance of the camellias, the breath taking "tower of jewels" (magnificent!!), the valley paths and the coastal meadows and woodland. Simply gorgeous! My only regret is that I don't live close enough to visit the MBG again and again! My applause to all your devoted volunteers and staffers! Carolyn Moore, Ft. Myers, Florida

Visited May 2013
1 Thank carolyn m
Johannesburg, South Africa
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Wonderful position”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

The varied and well marked plants in different design areas plus the position on the cliffs make this garden a pleasant place to while away a few hours and relax.

Visited November 2012