“A Mendocino Coast Highlight”

Mendocino Coast Botanical Gardens
Ranked #1 of 39 things to do in Fort Bragg
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Mendocino Coast Botanical Gardens offers everything from colorful displays to thunderous waves. The mild maritime climate makes it a garden for all seasons, attracting gardeners and nature lovers. With manicured formal gardens, a dense coastal pine forest, native flora and habitats, fern-covered canyons, camellias, rhododendrons, magnolias and conifers, heaths and heathers, and flower-filled coastal bluffs overlooking the blue ocean, the garden is a jewel on the Pacific Coast. Open daily except the Saturday after Labor Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas. March-October 9am-5pm, November-February 9am-4pm. Rhody's Cafe, located in the Gardens, serves fresh, locally made lunches, coffee drinks, desserts, and Cowlicks'Hand Made Ice Cream. Picnic lunches are available. Open April-September, 11am-4pm. The Garden Store and Nursery on the Plaza are open daily. There is no admission charge to visit the Store, Nursery, or Cafe. ~Our mission is to engage and enrich lives by displaying and conserving plants in harmony with our Northern California coastal ecosystems.~
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Food available for purchase
Ukiah, California
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“A Mendocino Coast Highlight”
Reviewed December 4, 2012

If you are on the Mendocino Coast, don't miss going to the Botanical Gardens!! Beautiful, educational, relaxing with lots of special activities and great ice cream on grounds. Don't miss it!

Visited December 2012
1 Thank Jim W

Gualala, California
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Dahlias!”
Reviewed November 27, 2012

We usually go every year, missed it this year. The grounds and plants are well-cared for. The rhododendrons are huge, and when the Dahlias are in bloom, it gets very busy.

SF Bay Area
150 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 77 helpful votes
“Another enjoyable visit”
Reviewed November 27, 2012

For someone who isn't really interested in gardening at all, I always seem to enjoy my visits to this particular garden. I'm apparently more curious about plants than I thought. The gardens are nicely laid out with a lot of benches (which I really appreciated when I was injured) and a lot of variety.
I enjoyed the little gift shop too. They have a nice variety of small gift items and I did a little Black Friday shopping without the crowds!

Visited November 2012
Penn Valley, California
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Flowers In All Their Beauty”
Reviewed November 15, 2012

My husband and I were in awe at all the beauty we experienced during our visit to the Mendocino Botanical Gardens. The Gardens could not have been in a more spectacular setting than on the California coast. With the ocean as it's backdrop, the manicured gardens of flowers and plants shown in all their natural glory. We saw flowers with the tiniest pedals all the way to those with huge blooms, in colors from the complete color palet. I wish I could give you all the names put that is not within my knowledge. My memory of the incredible roses does stand out in my mind very clearly. There are places to sit and rest within the gardens, plus having a picnic while there is encouraged. They have a wonderful Gift Shop with an array of items to help remind you of your visit. Going to the Gardens was a highlight of our visit to Fort Bragg.

Visited December 2011
Stockton, Ca
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Always something new”
Reviewed November 14, 2012

Beautiful combination botanical gardens and retail shop. I always find a couple plants to buy and try at home.

Visited November 2012