“Beautiful and Child and Pet Friendly”

Mendocino Coast Botanical Gardens
Ranked #1 of 39 things to do in Fort Bragg
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Mendocino Coast Botanical Gardens offers everything from colorful displays to thunderous waves. The mild maritime climate makes it a garden for all seasons, attracting gardeners and nature lovers. With manicured formal gardens, a dense coastal pine forest, native flora and habitats, fern-covered canyons, camellias, rhododendrons, magnolias and conifers, heaths and heathers, and flower-filled coastal bluffs overlooking the blue ocean, the garden is a jewel on the Pacific Coast. Open daily except the Saturday after Labor Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas. March-October 9am-5pm, November-February 9am-4pm. Rhody's Cafe, located in the Gardens, serves fresh, locally made lunches, coffee drinks, desserts, and Cowlicks'Hand Made Ice Cream. Picnic lunches are available. Open April-September, 11am-4pm. The Garden Store and Nursery on the Plaza are open daily. There is no admission charge to visit the Store, Nursery, or Cafe. ~Our mission is to engage and enrich lives by displaying and conserving plants in harmony with our Northern California coastal ecosystems.~
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed October 31, 2011

We live locally and visit and refer our guests to the Botanical Garden at all times of the year without ever hearing less than a rave review. In the spring, the paths are lined with a world class collection of rhododendrons. In summer, the perennials and heritage roses peak and the children's Discovery Trail leads to a thriving vegetable garden overseen by an entire family of multi-generational scarecrows. By late August and early September, the dahlia garden is a riot of color. In early December, the gardens are illuminated for the Festival of Lights. Electric carts allow less-abled family members to join walks through the gardens and all the way to the Pacific bluffs and views of the off-shore sea stacks that are the newest National Monument. It's just a wonderful place, all around and a not to be missed part of any drive along the beautiful Mendocino coast.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,052)

Reviewed October 28, 2011

met up with some friends from back home....we all loved the day....and I especially appreciate the fact that I can take my dog/dogs on leash on the wonderful trails out to the cliffs overlooking the sea.....Wonderful place to spend a few hours....rain or shine!!

1  Thank eyelandgirlazul
Reviewed October 28, 2011

My husband loved the beach, the clean air and fishing.

Reviewed August 25, 2011

Beautiful, peaceful, educational, some parts were breathtaking. I am actually contemplating taking a monthly trip up there to visit the garden. I just didn't want to leave. The flowers, the trees, and the birds were fantastic. Hummingbirds everywhere. And if you live in the Sacramento Valley or other hot inland place, you need to see the fushias that are large bushes, not struggling plants in pots. It is truly one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen in all of my travels. I would highly recommend it.

1  Thank Sandy J
Reviewed August 19, 2011

The Botanical Gardens are not to be missed. I am not a "green thumb" person by any means. If there weren't identifying signs all over the place, I would not be able to name much of anything. But this is truly a wonderland for walking, reading, meditating, exploring, picnickng. Any place that allows dogs on top of that is tops with me. Make sure you walk all the way to the ocean, where there are benches to wile away the time. (Imagine these are great vantage points for whale watching in season). The vegetable gardens and family graveyard are stops I always make. The dahlias were in bloom and I can only say: beautiful! There is a gift shop with lovely, affordable items to take home. My only disappointment is the recent 40% entrance fee hike. I visited in February, and it was $10. It is now $14 and when I questioned the exorbitant increase, I was told they want to be able to keep the Gardens open. This is distressing on top of distressing. Also makes me wonder why, when I called to inquire about dedicating a bench, no one bothered to return my call. Seems terribly lax if the Gardens is looking to increase revenue!